Question for UK Dis'ers re: Tesco

luvdamouse91

DIS Veteran
We are traveling to Scotland. We need water for DH CPAP machine. What am I looking to buy at Tesco or do I have to go to a pharmacy? It appears it is has another name in UK. Thanks.

Last edited:
What kind of water? Tesco and all litlli shops like spar, gas stations etc will sell bottled water. If it is just regular still water for drinking you don't need to go to a pharmacy

You can buy de-ionised water for a car battery at Halfords- £3.50 for 5 litres, so quite cheap.
There's a Halfords in most towns, where abouts in Scotland are you heading?

Im in UK and have just done a google search for Distilled Water - Tesco. Im assuming this is what you are looking for ?

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/272512807

You can buy de-ionised water for a car battery at Halfords- £3.50 for 5 litres, so quite cheap.
There's a Halfords in most towns, where abouts in Scotland are you heading?

Can this de-ionized water be used for DRINKING? Water that is advertised mainly for car batteries doesn't sound so. :crazy2: :scared:

I know someone who had a heart transplant and could only drink distilled water as all bacteria & organisms in the water is killed off & removed during the heating & distillation process.

The OP needs it for a CPAP machine in which a mask is placed over her DH's nose & mouth all night so he can breathe. It has to be routinely sterilized so one doesn't get an infection. I assume the distilled water is for that.

Here is a link saying the two waters are different and de-ionized water may not have the bacteria & organisms removed.

https://www.uswatersystems.com/deionized-water-vs-distilled-water

Can this de-ionized water be used for DRINKING? Water that is advertised mainly for car batteries doesn't sound so. :crazy2: :scared:

I know someone who had a heart transplant and could only drink distilled water as all bacteria & organisms in the water is killed off & removed during the heating & distillation process.

The OP needs it for a CPAP machine in which a mask is placed over her DH's nose & mouth all night so he can breathe. It has to be routinely sterilized so one doesn't get an infection. I assume the distilled water is for that.

Here is a link saying the two waters are different and de-ionized water may not have the bacteria & organisms removed.

https://www.uswatersystems.com/deionized-water-vs-distilled-water

The OP said that its the water that can be used in car batteries, irons etc

The OP said that its the water that can be used in car batteries, irons etc

Yes, I saw that. But, according to the link, distilled water is de-ionized AND the bacteria & organisms are removed. De-ionized water does not have bacteria & organisms removed. So, while distilled water can be used in irons due to having impurities removed so as not to gunk up the insides of irons, and is de-ionized for car batteries, it has that extra step of removing bacteria & organisms to make it more purified than de-ionized water alone, which the OP's DH might need for his machine. :confused3

I'm wondering if there is still another water you guys across the pond hadn't thought of yet. :idea: I doubt we are the only ones with distilled water. It's a practice that's been done for millennia.

Last edited:
We definitely have the CPAP machines over here so Im assuming the water needed is easily available. It might be best for the OP to enquire in a chemist to be on the safe side. Most large supermarkets have a pharmacy section so it should be easy to find one.

Hopefully someone will come along with a more definite reply

We definitely have the CPAP machines over here so Im assuming the water needed is easily available.

I was just thinking the same thing. :thumbsup2 Hopefully someone who uses a CPAP machine in the UK can say if it's the same thing and/or what they use instead. That's a lot better than this language barrier problem. :lmao:

We are starting our trip in Glasgow. There is Tesco near our hotel in the City Centre. Thanks.

If it is for medical use I think a pharmacy might be a good place to check. Boots is a big chain of chemist/drug stores but it is the type of thing you may have to ask for at the pharmacy counter rather than looking on the shelves. It might be worth phoning them first though.

Last edited:
Ah ok- Perhaps there is not as much need for it- Scotland has good/soft tap water, for example a baby's bottle would be made with boiled then left to cool tap water. A city centre Tesco may not have a pharmacy but Boots is a large chain of pharmacies and the is a few in Glasgow city centre.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter