Question if this is offensive in Italy/Greece/Turkey

Hook326

DIS Veteran
Hello! I was excited to find a small, baggallini backpack at TJMaxx today for $30. It’s exactly what I was looking for our trip this summer to Italy and a Mediterranean cruise. While not the pattern I would pick if given all the options, for $30 I don’t hate it. However, my mom kind of freaked out when I showed her because it’s a gray camo pattern. I do not want to offend anyone so wanted to reach out to disboarders who live in Europe and would be more familiar. I’m absolutely okay not taking it. Picture to show pattern.

80A6446D-5A33-43BC-8E06-495716A90348.png

Lived in Turkey for 4 years. Wouldn't be a problem there though camo is not worn outside of the Army they don't have gray camo.

I've not traveled abroad, but camo is a fairly popular pattern these days, and I've seen it as an option on many, many of the items I've been shopping for to prepare for my international trip - luggage, passport covers, water socks, travel clothes, SO many athleisure pants and tops.

Not relevant to Europe per se, but there are many Caribbean countries where you can not wear anything camo. I've seen them stop people getting off cruise ships and telling them to go back to their cabin and change and the color palette of the camo didn't matter.

I would err on the side of caution and not bring it.

Thank you! You gave a much more thorough answer than I did. I just remember being on cruises and people being shocked when the crew told them they couldn't get off in whatever camo stuff they had on. I probably would choose a different bag but it seems like there wouldn't be any legal issues with it.

Had no idea it was a thing to avoid but I guess I get it that the pattern could be seen as an aggressive flex.

"When in doubt, don't," is by far the best advice ever given.

Had no idea it was a thing to avoid but I guess I get it that the pattern could be seen as an aggressive flex.

"When in doubt, don't," is by far the best advice ever given.
Maybe a head to toe camo outfit but a small backpack...probably not. I would pay attention to dress codes if visiting churches in Italy especially the Vatican. They can be very particular.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter