Question: MYW w/dining, total cost & tax?

jenjersnap

yadda yadda yadda
I am gettng ready to book a free dining trip in Sept. but I can't get the numbers to add up. What is the tax rate for the package? Is the tax rate different for hotels and tix? Why doesn't Disney's site list a breakdown of what you are actually paying for (I know you can't answer that one, just venting!)? Even when I try to edit, it no longer lists the total tix cost but instead just lists the cost per day for adults and kids.

It looks like I am paying an overall tax rate of about 9.2% for the entire package - does that seem about right? Thanks!

Tax rates on the rooms range from 11.5% to 13%, depending on where you're staying. The AllStars are in Osceola county and it has a higher resort tax.

Sales tax on the tickets is 6.5% regardless of where you purchase them. I could go the the Disney Store in Delaware (where there is no sales tax) and I would still have to pay 6.5% sales tax on tickets if I purchased them there.

As far as I know, there is no tax on the dining plan itself.

Thanks for the help.

Adding it up using the specific tax rates is still a bit under what Disney says we should be paying. It's a fairly small amount. Guess I will consider it the "fee" for getting free dining :confused3 ;) but I will ask a CM when I call to add our room request.

jenjersnap said:
Thanks for the help.

Adding it up using the specific tax rates is still a bit under what Disney says we should be paying. It's a fairly small amount. Guess I will consider it the "fee" for getting free dining :confused3 ;) but I will ask a CM when I call to add our room request.
If I am not mistaken Disney adds the cost of travel insurance by default.

Also make sure the Views/MYW ticket add ons/dining plan/etc... all match up to what you are adding up. When I booked last years trip with AAA the amount was off(lower than what it should have been) because he had left off the dining plan(not during free promo), then when he added it on it was more than it should have been because he had added NON EXPIRE to our park tickets. And this was in person with us giving him EXACTLY what we wanted on paper, I know these type of mix ups would be more common by phone.

Anewman has it exactly right. THere are lots of little ways for mistakes to come in. A preferred vs. standard view on a resort room makes a difference. Same for park hopper option, non-expire option on the tickets.

There should be no difference between a non-discounted rack rate room + park tickets and your final total unless there is something added that you don't know about. There is no tax on the dining plan, free or paid (tax is included in the price.)

As to why Disney doesn't break everything out--they don't want to make it easy for you to compare "apples to apples." By quoting you only the package price, the fact that you are paying a premium rate for the hotel in order to get the "free" DDP or be able to purchase the DDP is hidden.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter