Question on AP passes vs. LOS (long)

wetts1

Earning My Ears
My family (me, DH, 2 kids) are traveling with my parents. Our plan was to purchase 1 AP in my name and get the resort AP discount on 2 connecting rooms. I made the reservations under my name. I have not yet purchased the AP, but certainly planned to do so well in advance of our trip. My problem is that my family was planning on purchasing three 5 day hopper passes (plus the one AP). We figured IF we decided to do a water park, we would just purchase a separate 1 day ticket. My father wanted to get a LOS (or whatever they're calling it now). My mother has no intention of going to the parks on a daily basis. A 5 day hopper is more than enough for her. I just read that the LOS passes have to be purchased by EVERYONE in the party. Does that mean all 6 of us, since the reservation is in my name, or can it be just my parents since they are in their own room? It would be ridiculous for all of us to pay for the LOS passes since we will not use them. One option would be for the AP holder to be my father instead of me, but I've already made the reservation and paid the deposit in my name. Is it easy to just transfer the name of the reservation, or would I have to cancel, refund my deposit and rebook?
Thanks in advance for any help.

I know that they don't mind if some people have LOSs and others have APs. Lots of people on these boards have been able to get that combination. I wouldn't be surprised if they would give your dad a LOS, but you would probably have to buy it when you get to the resort, not ahead of time.

We went in June and 4 had AP and 3 did not, we were all in the same room (2bedroom at Boardwalk) and there was no problem. If you have separate rooms there should be even less of a problem. But you will probably have to wait until check in.

I was concerned because I read on this site that all members needed to have LOS if any did. Only 1 of us will have an AP, the rest will have 5 day hoppers and, if they let him, my father is the only one who wants LOS. Other than the AP to get the room discount, should we just buy all the tickets down there? You don't have to wait til you get to the parks, do you? I remember years ago buying our tickets at the hotel.

Something to consider is also what you will do on future trips. I purchased an AP for myself on our last trip and 7-day plus for my DH and girls. We did not plan a water park visit that trip but I thought we would do one sometime. We ended up doing an additional trip in Feb and had enough days on their passes for those days and we still have all of our plus passes left. I bought them AP's this year and we will use the plus passes with those on our next trips. I don't do the water parks but DH and the girls will.

The only advantage to the LOS pass over the hoppers is that it includes Disney Quest, depending on the length of your stay even a 7-day pass is less expensive and may allow your FIL to enjoy the parks everyday as he wants. On the 8th day an AP is the cheapest per day in the park but that is the regular AP that does not include the water parks.

I put all my ticket options in an excel spreadsheet and calculated the price per day, also consider that the days and plusses never expire so you can use them later too.

IIf your father insists of sticking with the length of stay, I'd just tell the CM that everyone else has passes (they are likely to just assume AP's since you have one). I think Disney Quest is part of the park hopper. From what I've read on the boards, the LOS is not the best option unless you really plan on going to the plus places a lot, for short periods of time. You may want to consider the 5 day park hopper with 4 pluses that has been discussed on this board recently (within the past 2 days). Looks like a pretty good deal with the pluses.

My father says he wants the LOS so that, for example, if we are at the pool and he's not interested, he can go back to MGM and ride TOT 4 times. I personally think it's a waste of money for that privilege, (I mean seriously...it's $230 for a 5 day hopper vs. $391 for a 9 day LOS). But as long as the rest of us don't have to buy it, he can spend his money as he likes!
I really don't think he's interest in Disney Quest or PI. So if the water park was the only "extra" he wanted to do, he could just buy a 1 day ticket.

Just another suggestion - have you considered getting him an AP? I don't believe the AP has to be in your name to get the discount on rooms or you could have his name added to the reservation. An AP is cheaper than $391 and he can come and go to the parks all he wants. If his real interest is the parks this is a great option, he may even decide to go back again within the year since his admission is already covered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter