• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question on Ferry to St. John

mmouse37

DCL Diva!!
Does anyone have an approximate time it takes via taxi from the ship in St. Thomas to the Red Hook Ferry? Also, how long is the ferry ride to St. John?

Since we have been to St. Thomas 3 times already, we are thinking of spending the day at the Westin Resort on St. John and wanted approximate travel times to see if it would be feasible.

Also, if anyone has any taxi or ferry rates for the above that would be great as well!!! Thanks.

What time does the Magic leave St. Thomas??? We did the Eastern twice before but I forgot what time she sets sail.

MJ

we have beeen lucky enough to stay on st. john and also we went there on our cruise the ferry took i thinkit was 40 minute for the trip..... have a great cruise peter

Hi mmouse37,

can't exactly answer your question as we went on the Disney sponsered trip, but it took aprox 35-40 mins I think. The one thing I do remember is that if you have any tendency toward motion sickness, take your Bonine. I did and was ok, but there were a few that got sick.

St. John was absolutely beautiful. This time we are going to stay on St. thomas, we're going to Coral world and doing the helmet dive.

Donna

Just wondering...why the Westin? I guess there is only one other resort on the island. It's just that the Westin doesn't have a great beach. But they do have a pool & other facilities. As I said, just wondering. :) I know you've cruised several times before & I'd love to hear about the Westin!

Okay, I'm tired. Sorry for rambling!

I have Sheraton Points and can also stay at Westin Resorts with my points. From their website the beach looked great as well as the pool area...would love to hear more info on the beach, because if in fact it is not that great I would not bother going.

www.spg.com and did a search for U.S. Virgin Island resorts...the photos of the Westin beach looked gorgeous.

MJ

mmouse37 - we left the ship at 8:15am and took a taxi to Red Hook (15-20 mins.). We made the 9:00am ferry (which left at 8:50am) and we stepped on to St. John at 9:10am - record time! For the return we took the Charlotte Amalie Ferry instead, it was a pleasant ride and about the same amount of time.

Hey MJ,

We've vacationed in St. Thomas 3x (not on DCL) and we always went to St. John on the ferry. Here are my tips.....

The ferry in Charlotte Amalie takes longer than the Red Hook one......

The taxi ride costs more and takes longer when you go to Red Hook.....

I visited the Westin the last time I was there and I was disappointed in the pool area....we did not get to the beach....

each time we go to St. John we always go to Trunk Bay, where we rent snorkel equipment, there is a small shop for souvenirs and sweat shirts, etc., picnic tables, a donkey, and a really beautiful beach. You can snorkel and swim there. It is cheaper to visit this beach yourself than to take the tour thru the ship.

If you've already been to Trunk Bay, there are other beaches to visit there. The last time we were there we learned about Caneel Bay resort (approx $500 a night?). You might want to check that out?

Have a blast and TAKE MORE PICTURES!!!:cool:

Thank you all for your responses!!!!

Jo...I will definitely take some pics of the Eastern trip this time....

MJ

We like what we have read about the St. John Island. The excursion is listed as about 5 hrs. Does anyone know what is included? If we decided to take ferry and go on our own can you rent cars there?

mmouse37 - I've traveled to St. John MANY times and I'll tell you about the beach at the Westin. The beach at the Westin is man-made, not natural. It was created actually by the previous owners of the resort the Hyatt. It is located pretty close to Cruz Bay and the water there can be a little choppy and can get cloudy due to all the water traffic. The Westin isn't very special, and for the amount of time you're going to get on St. John (probably nore more than 3 hours) it's not worth it. You'll probably be able to leave the ship around 9:00, maybe earlier. The taxi to Red Hook takes approx 20 - 25 minutes, giving you plenty of time to catch the 10:00 ferry to St. John. If you do decide to go to the Westin, you'll probably be there around 10:45. You'll have to leave at 1:30, to ensure catching the 2:00 ferry to return to St. Thomas. With the ferry and taxi's you'll be back at the ship around 3:00, if there isn't much traffic, later if there is. Trying to catch the 3:00 ferry is cutting it too close, since the ship sets sail at 4:45(I believe all aboard is at 4:30), and the traffic on St. Thomas can be VERY unpredictable!!! So, as you can see, not much time to hang around. If you can get of the ship at 8:00 and make the 9:00 ferry, you'll have additional time. I'd recommend going to Trunk Bay. It is one of the most beautiful beaches on St. John and they have facilities there, including a lunch place. You could also bring a box lunch from the ship.

jel0511 - I am going to send you a PM as I am interested in where you stay on St. John. We have been contemplating a trip there and have looked at the Westin with mixed emotions. We also stayed on Virgin Gorda - Little Dix Bay and feel Caneel Bay may not be kid friendly and perhaps too expensive. I would appreciate your input.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter