Question Regarding UY

CarlyMur09

Mouseketeer
Hi, everyone.

So my family just bought 400 points direct at OKW, since we are a family of 7 (sometimes 5) and we go down for longer periods of time (8 or 9 days at OKW).

So I finally just got access to the account today, and looking at it, i think we have more points to use than we were anticipating.

Our next trip is planned for April 26 through May 6, but either the first night or last night, we will be staying at a different resort (depending on flights and cos/point availability)

Our UY is April. Does that mean we have to bank the points from this year to use them for the trip, or when we book within the next few days, does it take the points from this UY?

Thanks!

Your trip will be in your 2018 use year. If you have 2017 points to use you will need to bank them into 2018 prior to making the reservation.

Welcome Home!
OP, get together an Excel Spreadsheet that you understand suggestions for including as top of the line things to have:
Website login information
UY
Banking Deadline
Current points in each UY
Planned/Possible trips - need to be looking at least 3 years out
Completed trips - with an area for listing where you stayed (some include the room number) and anything special you did during the trip
Current reservations include points required, location, and reservation number
Anything else you care to have documented over time

Welcome Home!
OP, get together an Excel Spreadsheet that you understand suggestions for including as top of the line things to have:
Website login information
UY
Banking Deadline
Current points in each UY
Planned/Possible trips - need to be looking at least 3 years out
Completed trips - with an area for listing where you stayed (some include the room number) and anything special you did during the trip
Current reservations include points required, location, and reservation number
Anything else you care to have documented over time
Ok thank you! We'll probably do the over the next few days!

With an April UY, you need to bank before Dec 1st.
Congrats on your purchase, and WELCOME HOME!!!

Know that you can back out of this deal within 10 days, so do as much research as you can now. If 400 is too much, it's not too late to change your mind. Also, you should probably ask that it is broken into smaller contracts (say, four 100 points, or two 200 points) which will make it easier for you to sell one down the line. It won't change anything on the booking side for you, but selling a 400 point contract on the resale market will not be easy, so set yourself up for success in case you will have to sell later. (Financial hardship, or you realize you just have way too many points.)

April 2017 points can be used for stays from 4/1/17–3/31/18. If you want to use them between 4/1/18-3/31/19, you need to bank them by 11/30/17.

Know that you can back out of this deal within 10 days, so do as much research as you can now. If 400 is too much, it's not too late to change your mind. Also, you should probably ask that it is broken into smaller contracts (say, four 100 points, or two 200 points) which will make it easier for you to sell one down the line. It won't change anything on the booking side for you, but selling a 400 point contract on the resale market will not be easy, so set yourself up for success in case you will have to sell later. (Financial hardship, or you realize you just have way too many points.)

April 2017 points can be used for stays from 4/1/17–3/31/18. If you want to use them between 4/1/18-3/31/19, you need to bank them by 11/30/17.
It's already broken down into two contracts! We were very confused at first. But we do want the 400 points anyways, since we plan on doing 8-9 night stays in at least a 2 bedroom villa per year, and using the extra points for maybe an extra night somewhere else.

With an April UY, you need to bank before Dec 1st.
Congrats on your purchase, and WELCOME HOME!!!
Thank you! We're calling later to book, so hopefully we'll finalize some things and get some questions answered.

It's already broken down into two contracts! We were very confused at first. But we do want the 400 points anyways, since we plan on doing 8-9 night stays in at least a 2 bedroom villa per year, and using the extra points for maybe an extra night somewhere else.
Perfect! Sounds like you had a good guide. I'm glad it was split into two contracts for you. And you'll still have plenty of time to bank the 2018 points, too.

Also be aware that you could save about $26,000 by purchasing resale instead of direct.

We aren't interested in resale at the moment, and OKW points are actually cheaper than the other resorts.
Current direct price should be $145 and resale seems to average around $80. I suppose an extended contract could be more. I understand that there are some reasons to buy direct, but $26,000 can overcome a lot of those reasons.

Current direct price should be $145 and resale seems to average around $80. I suppose an extended contract could be more. I understand that there are some reasons to buy direct, but $26,000 can overcome a lot of those reasons.
I think for us, as first time buyers into DVC, we were leery about resale, as we knew we needed a larger amount of points to stay anywhere since we're a larger family. Luckily the points were available for us to buy, because otherwise, we had been planning on Copper Creek. (We do plan on staying there, but OKW was our preference.) I think -if- we decide to add on points later down the road, we will likely be doing resale.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter