Questions About Visiting the Grand Canyon

WebmasterMaryJo

Techarita
Staff member
Administrator
We're having guests this summer and will be taking them up to Monterey/San Francisco/Yosemite one week, and they also want to go to the Grand Canyon.

What is the best route to take to get to the Grand Canyon? We're thinking of 3 days, so 2 days on the road and 1 day visiting the canyon.

Would like your advice on the best way to get there, and while we are there, what else is nearby that we can see? Is the crater close enough to see on day three and then head back to Los Angeles?

On day 1 should we just drive straight there, or should we stop for the night in Sedona or Flagstaff?

Oh, and once we're there? What is a good place to stay, knowing that it is already pretty late in the year to make these plans.

Appreciate the help. :)

I'D GIVE A TRY FOR STAYING RIGHT IN THE PARK FOR TWO NIGHTS, (sorry for yelling, hit cap lock by mistake) you might get lucky. http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/Lodging-Overview-411.html

Second choice would be Tusayan, the town right outside the park. The GCNP website has info - http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/lodging.htm

Heading east on I 40, you'll come to the exit for the Canyon well before you get to Flagstaff, Sedona is further south from Flagstaff, not sure it makes sense to hit either of them. Plus the Canyon is very enjoyable in the evening and there might by night time ranger talks. Look around the website for the schedule.

Sunset Crater is worth a visit, but you have a fairly long drive. It's tough to make a call like that. Or were you meaning the meteor crater? That's even further east.

Have fun and think about getting an annual national park pass. It's good for every one in the car.
America the Beautiful - 2009 Annual Pass - Cost $80.
National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass
This pass is available to the general public and provides access to, and use of, Federal recreation sites that charge an Entrance or Standard Amenity Fee for a year, beginning from the date of sale.

Replaces: Golden Eagle Passport and National Parks Pass and Golden Eagle Hologram.
The pass admits the pass holder/s and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas and pass holder + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, at per person fee areas. (children under 16 are admitted free) The pass can be obtained in person at the park, by calling 1-888-ASK USGS, Ext. 1, or via the Internet at http://store.usgs.gov/pass.

Thank you so much for the information. :)

I hadn't realized that the Skywalk is in a different part of the Canyon, and on a reservation rather than being in the National Park.

So, I have two cousins from Spain (one doesn't speak English) who are here for a couple of short weeks, and two nephews (7 & 9) that we're bringing along, so I have to make sure we have good accommodations for all of us (total of 6 in the party). Of course, since my cousins didn't tell me their schedule until recently I couldn't get accommodations earlier, so am going to have to figure out something near the parks. Of the rooms in the link above, only one room with a king bed is available (with air conditioning), so I'll have to continue my research.

I think I will get the America the Beautiful pass as we are also going to Yosemite & Sequoia, and will be going to Yosemite & Sequoia again later in the year, plus next year, so I think it will save in the long run. :)

There are about 4 hotels right by the south rim into the canyon, we stayed at the Red Feather, it was okay, enough for 2, but you will have trouble finding something for 6 that close, plus most of the hotel charge extra per person because they are only priced for 2. Everything is high right by the rim.

You may also consider staying the night in Williams, it is right by Rt 40, part of historic Route 66 goes through it and the hotels are much much cheaper. You can take a scenic train from Williams to the Grand Canyon and the drive to the south rim is about an hour.

Both Sedona and Flagstaff are about 2-3 hours from the Canyon, depending on which way you go. Sedona is beautiful and so is Flagstaff.

I'm not sure about the crater, but the meteor crater is too far from the canyon, it's east and prob about another 4 hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter