Questions & Comments on the new daily room checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmykitefan

Mouseketeer
Are the early morning room checks happening at all the resort or only at the resorts on the monorail loop?

Like a lot of things WDW does, their implementation leaves a LOT to be desired. They need to make it very clear to guests that they will be doing this and what the exact procedures are, what guests should expect when we are out of the room and more importantly, when we are in the room.

I spoke to a very nice Australian cast member on the phone the other day. I emailed in my concerns and she called me a day later.

We spoke for about 10 minutes and she answered as many questions as she could.

The most important piece of information she told me is that these checks happen during normal business hours. I was concerned it would happen at a random time (like 2am) but she said no.

She also said that housekeeping does the majority of the checks. It sounds like reading from posts that if you decline housekeeping, that’s when security shows up. In my opinion, it would be better to just have housekeeping come in each day and not be bothered by security interrupting your day.

She also said that if you’re worried that someone isn’t a Disney cast member, only Disney cast members can open your doors. Step out of the room and let said cast member magic band their way in. Don’t let him or her in yourself. Let them do the work if they want to check your room. If their magic band doesn’t open your door, then that’s the time to alert the front desk (maybe take a picture of the person). I work in law enforcement so this was my main concern. Knowing for sure that a real cast member is checking my room.

We head to Disney in a few weeks so I’m interested to see if what she says holds true or not. Or if we STILL are bothered by security.

See the thread pinned at the top. Moderators are closing all room check threads and want the entire discussion in that one.

She also said that if you’re worried that someone isn’t a Disney cast member, only Disney cast members can open your doors. Step out of the room and let said cast member magic band their way in. Don’t let him or her in yourself. Let them do the work if they want to check your room. If their magic band doesn’t open your door, then that’s the time to alert the front desk (maybe take a picture of the person). I work in law enforcement so this was my main concern. Knowing for sure that a real cast member is checking my room.

I wouldn't feel safe with this method, either. Considering the worst case that a bad guy is pretending to be a cast member in order to get into your room -- as you step out of the room, bad guy could push past you and get in, and might push you back into the room first. If his magic band doesn't work and he actually is an impostor, would he really stand around peacefully waiting while you take his picture and phone the call center that answers when you try to reach the front desk?

I still haven't seen anyone clarify whether the cast members doing the room checks carry some form of ID other than magic bands, that they could show before you open the door.

This whole concept of having a stranger I didn't summon, demand entry to my room each day, makes me feel unsafe. I do get daily housekeeping anyway, so if that's enough, and if they avoid knocking and/or entering while my "room occupied" sign is up, then there should be no issue for me. But I'm concerned about the conflicting reports as to whether there may be a "security check" in addition to daily housekeeping. Also concerned by the reports that people with their signs up have been disturbed by demands for room entry, when said guests were trying to sleep, or otherwise weren't ready to receive visitors.

Reports on the other threads were saying they had housekeeping knock at 8am- not even giving you the chance to leave your room and have it serviced for the day. We never leave our room that early. And the new signage gives them the right to knock at any time. I don't want to be disturbed as we sleep!

If their magic band doesn’t open your door, then that’s the time to alert the front desk (maybe take a picture of the person).

Except there’s no way to immediately alert the front desk. Just like the cm you spoke with, the “front desk” CMs are in a remote call center and might never have been to Wdw.

Best to call 911 at that point if that happens.

But I'm concerned about the conflicting reports as to whether there may be a "security check" in addition to daily housekeeping.

I haven’t read any reports of getting the security check and housekeeping in the same day. I’ve heard of housekeeping saying ok to a verbal request to not have them come in, with quick security response, which irks me (just say “no”, housekeepers), but I haven’t heard of both.

What I do know is that now I’ll firmly remind myself that housekeeping is officially an untipped position. Especially on the days I wouldn’t normally have them come in. I *have been* extra generous and kind to them. And now I’ll just be normal, since it’s not a service I want or have requested.

We just stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge. When we checked in, I asked that we not be disturbed prior to 11AM. The front desk CM made a note and said that, while they technically can enter at anytime, they will do their best to honor our request. We had to phone housekeeping to get a "Room Occupied" sign when we got to the room but it was delivered within 5 minutes. We had no issues with an early knock or even seeing our housekeeper or security.

We just stayed 10 days at Saratoga.

It was normal for housekeeping to knock between 8:30 and 8:45. We checked with the front desk and they told us that we needed to speak with housekeeping. But that we wouldn't be guaranteed a time. After speaking to housekeeping, they still came by early, but it would be a little later. By that time we were dressed, even if we weren't out of the room.

On our last day, our housekeeper stood outside of our door for 45 minutes, and I meant literally, waiting for us to pack up and move out. (No we were not passed checkout time.)

We just stayed 10 days at Saratoga.

It was normal for housekeeping to knock between 8:30 and 8:45. We checked with the front desk and they told us that we needed to speak with housekeeping. But that we wouldn't be guaranteed a time. After speaking to housekeeping, they still came by early, but it would be a little later. By that time we were dressed, even if we weren't out of the room.

On our last day, our housekeeper stood outside of our door for 45 minutes, and I meant literally, waiting for us to pack up and move out. (No we were not passed checkout time.)

This is ridiculous! We do like daily housekeeping so we, in theory, shouldn't be affected by this policy. But, we do not leave our room until about 11 am. This is what I have a problem with!
And- why would a supposedly busy and overworked Disney housekeeper have time to stand outside of a room and wait for guests to leave when they have every right to be in the room? No one should be coming to a room that is obviously occupied before check out time on check out day.

This entire thing is getting out of hand. It sounds like they are more occupied with disturbing people than actually cleaning the room. And reports that if you get back to your room and it isn’t completed and you tell the housekeeping that you are back and skip for sleep that will guarantee a visit by security. And that stupid room occupied sign is making them nervous that someone is hold up in a room and they want in. I think I am not going to be using that sign ever because it doesn’t stop them from knocking anyway. So a little reverse psychology.

This entire thing is getting out of hand. It sounds like they are more occupied with disturbing people than actually cleaning the room. And reports that if you get back to your room and it isn’t completed and you tell the housekeeping that you are back and skip for sleep that will guarantee a visit by security. And that stupid room occupied sign is making them nervous that someone is hold up in a room and they want in. I think I am not going to be using that sign ever because it doesn’t stop them from knocking anyway. So a little reverse psychology.

Ironically the cleaning of the rooms has gone way down in quality due to supposed shortage, and now they have staff pulled to do these inspections .... I would expect it to get worse. We experienced this last week ............ my future trips were booked at offsite hotels while I waited for discounts .... and at this point I am leaving them there.

This is ridiculous! We do like daily housekeeping so we, in theory, shouldn't be affected by this policy. But, we do not leave our room until about 11 am. This is what I have a problem with!
And- why would a supposedly busy and overworked Disney housekeeper have time to stand outside of a room and wait for guests to leave when they have every right to be in the room? No one should be coming to a room that is obviously occupied before check out time on check out day.
I am thinking that the understaffed and overworked housekeeper at Disney is a rumor. An internet tale. A mythical creature.

I jumped when I first walked out, surprised to see someone standing right there. I smiled and said good morning, and went out to the car. When I came back, minutes later, she was still standing there, so I told her that we would be a while. That we had just started and it was going to take almost an hour. She smiled and nodded.

When I went into the room, my husband asked if I had met our friend. According to him she had been out there for about 10 minutes already.

And there she stood, until we left.

I am thinking that the understaffed and overworked housekeeper at Disney is a rumor. An internet tale. A mythical creature.

I jumped when I first walked out, surprised to see someone standing right there. I smiled and said good morning, and went out to the car. When I came back, minutes later, she was still standing there, so I told her that we would be a while. That we had just started and it was going to take almost an hour. She smiled and nodded.

When I went into the room, my husband asked if I had met our friend. According to him she had been out there for about 10 minutes already.

And there she stood, until we left.

I vote we change their name from Mouse-keeping to Mouse-creeping.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
We usually stay in DVC villas when we are in WDW, and really don't care about getting housekeeping unless our stay is 7 days or more. We speak to the housekeeper, trade out our dirty towels for clean, ask for TP, hand her the trash and we're done. One year when we had a 14 day reservation during F&W we were fine with the full cleaning. We arrived back at our room and the cart was in the doorway and two housekeepers were in the villa sitting at the kitchen table(we were in a 1 bedroom) The room was no where near finished and the tv was on. We were polite, but told them that we were good and encouraged that they move along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter