Questions from a Disney guy...

raidermatt

Be water, my friend.
We are DVC members and will be taking a two week trip to WDW in May/June. First, let me say that I have the Universal planning video, and I definitely think Universal has something to offer. Since we have two weeks, we should have enough time to try out Universal while still getting plenty of Disney.

We are considering 1-2 days at Universal, and I have a few questions.

If we do one day, we will probably do just IOA, mainly because we have a US closer to home, but not an IOA. That aside, if you could only go to one park, which would it be?

There definitely seem to be some great E-ticket attractions, and the Dr. Suess area looks great. How plentiful are the B-D rides/attractions? (sorry to use Disney-speak, but its the easiest way to describe the rides!)

I'm a Jurassic Park fan, so that section, and particularly the river ride interest me. How strong is this section of the park? How would you rate the attractions in this area?

Thanks...

IOA is definately better. As for the JP area, the landscaping is good, but the rides aren't. The river adventure is quite short here and the drop doesn't compare to Dudley Do-Right. But yes IOA is much better. Don't miss my favorite ride at IOA: Dudley Do-Right!

I'd probably try to visit both. USF is very different from USH. USH has the tram tour, Backdraft Juarassic Park, the Waterworld Show which are not at USF (Jurassic Park is at IOA). USF has Twister, Men In Black and Beetlejuice (a show which my kids love)which are not at USH. If I were to choose one, it might depend upon the ages of the kids. IOA is a great park and the Seuss area is wonderful (not to mention the awesome Spiderman ride) but the roller coasters are generally for kids over 8. You will get wet at IOA though. 1-day hopper passes are generally available on eBay (they are unused 2-3 day passes). In fact, I'll probably be selling some after the first of the year.

We just got back from Orlando--we spent two full days at Universal/IOA. Universal Florida is NOTHING like Universal Hollywood!! Florida is so much better--I'm not a big fan of the Universal in Hollywood--I really liked USF. You have to go on Men In Black ride--it is so much fun! I thought USF has more of a theme going on too!

Just my 2 cents!!

Sue:)

sue, how funny, i like USH better--can't beat that tram tour and i love the warm feeling you get at the end of backdraft

Both parks are great, but I prefer IOA because of the coasters and SpiderMan. The Jurassic Park area is wonderfully done. The theming throughout the park is fantastic. We noticed new things each time we walked through. Suess Landing is like eye candy. The entire park is a special treat!

As a veteran of WDW, I say do the two days at USF/IOA. It will still leave you 12 days for everything else and the entire USF/IOA experience is fabulous. If you like thrill rides, IOA is a full day. My DS, 9, can't get enough of IOA and wouldn't care if we cut out WDW completely if it meant he got to do more of IOA. My DD, 11, DW and I also love both IOA and USF enough that we are changing our next trip from all of our previous ones. Our last trip was 2 days at IOA/USF and 5 at WDW. Next trip will be 4 days at IOA/USF staying at HRH, and then 4 days at WDW staying at CBR. USF/IOA has just surpassed WDW in too many areas to be an afterthought.

Oh, by the way, check out my new webpage for some pics of USF and IOA. The page is still under construction, but the USF and IOA pics are done. They're not great, but you get the general idea.

My Themeparks Page

Universal Orlando is definitely worth two days (one for each park) out of a two week stay.

I think you'll quickly discover why Universal is winning the hearts and minds of so many Disney fanatics. And do take the time to walk through the resort hotels. You may be tempted to stay on-site on your next trip!

I should probably add that my son will be 3 1/2 when we go, and is not yet a thrill-seeker. I'm ok with anything, DW doesn't really do coasters, but will do the water rides and simulator stuff. We'll be there with another couple who don't have kids yet, but are pretty much the same as us, one likes it all, the other avoids the coasters.

So for the coasters, two of us can go on, while the other two hang with DS. For the rides all four want to do, but DS cannot do, we have a problem. We either don't go, or go in shifts, which we have done before using fastpass at Disney.

My point is, (finally, you say), there needs to be things that we can do with a toddler. We can deal with splitting up for a few rides, but what types of things can we all do? That's where my question about B-ticket/D-ticket attractions comes from.

We have a park in this area called Paramount's Great America. It has some good coasters, but not a lot of rides for the little ones. WDW on the other hand, has MANY rides and attractions that kiddies love, but many adults also enjoy. Where does Universal fall on this scale?

Thanks.

It's me again! I know how to compare Universal/IOA to Great America--it's our local amusement park (unfortunately!) As you can tell, it's not my favorite!! We have a two sons (8 & 13)--they enjoy the rides, so we usually get season passes.

I would say that you would definitely enjoy IOA--Suess Landing is kind of similiar to the "Kidsville" area in Great America (but not as many rides). The water rides in Toon Lagoon should be fun for everyone--prepare to get soaked! Juarassic Park area is really neat too. I think you would enjoy the theming of the park, even if you don't do coasters.

Hope this helped!
Sue:)

If possible please try and spend 2 full days one for each park to get the full experience. I dont think you will be disappointed. I also dont think you will have a lack of things to do and see with a 3 1/2 year old.

My first family trip to IOA/Universal my kids were 3 and 7. This trip was a combined Disney- Universal trip. My thinking was the kids were going to love Disney and my husband and I would get more out of Universal. That didnt end up being the case.

Here is what my family enjoys at both parks and what the kids really love.

Universal:

First let me start by saying Universal Studios offers more attractions the whole family can enjoy together.

Production Central-
Hanna Barbera really cute both kids loved it...if you think its too intense ask for a stationary car.

Nick Studios- Great for the whole family.

I would skip Alfred Hitchcock with your child and do it alone if possible.

New York-
Twister...do it alone again too intense for many 3 year olds my 3 year old did do it didnt like it but when we returned this year (at 4) he enjoyed it!

Konfrontation...depends on your child again may wanna check it out first before deciding. My 4 year old loves this ride and teases King all through it.

Blues Brothers show- good for whole family.

San Fran/Amity-
Earthquake...loved it at 4 was frightened at 3. Could also be comfort comes after a few experiences and starting to know the difference with real and fake.

Beetlejuices Revue...whole family loved this show.

Hollywood-
No go with the make up show but do try and see it for yourself.

Terminator2- Too intense for my little guy. My 8 year olds favorite though.

Lucy- fine for whole family.

Woody WoodPeckers KidZone-
Kids LOVED this entire section! Not to mention the adults as well really a wonderful section and can spend way too much time here having a ball!
Animal Actor Stage- Great show kids really enjoyed the animals.

A day in the park with Barney- Okay I really tried to not to have to do this one but kids insisted and I am glad they did! We all enjoyed it a lot.

Curious George- Most time spent in one area! Be sure to travel behind the water section to the balls! what a blast:) It is an interactive playground for all ages.

Woodys Nuthouse coaster...great coaster for a 3 year old. Really cute theme.

Fievels playland...wonderful for small children even a special section just for the very little ones.

ET Adventure- Great for the whole family.
Also watch for many character interventions in this area!

World Expo-
MIB...my sone loved it at 3 and its his favorite ride now. whole family experience for sure...make sure you look at the pictures on the way out. Lots of fun.

Back to the Future- wouldnt take a 3 year old on this one but try and do it alone in the front seat.

Islands Of Adventure:

More thrilling rides but just as many kids areas and lots of fun colorful sights to enjoy.

Toon Lagon-
Dudley do rights have to be 44" my 4 year old still isnt interested.Great water ride big drop
:eek:
Popeye bilge rat barges-
48" height require. although they must have lowerd that cause we all did it as a family many times this past september. You will get very wet but its great fun.

Me Ship Olive-kids love it! They can also blast the people on the Barges as they go by from here. (one of my favorite things to do)

Jurrassic Park-
Discovery Center- Great for the whole family...make sure you try and catch a raptor egg hatching.

Triceratops Center- Great for the whoel family.

Jurrassic Park river adventure- 42" height requirement. We all love this ride.

Pteranodon Flyers- well here opinions vary. This scared the heck out of me. Kids liked it fine! You cant ride w/o a kid!

Camp Jurrasic...cool playground worth checking out.

The Lost Continent-
My favorite Island!:bounce:

Poseidons Fury- dark and loud at times but wonderful show (my opinion) may want to see it yourself first to decide if your child will like this one.

The Mystic Fountain- My most favorite attraction that I can wipe out most my day at. We have had more family memories here than anywhere else. Make sure you throw in a coin and make a wish.

Sinbad show- Great for whole family very entertaining.

Dueling Dragons..Coaster's (2)
No good for little ones.

The Flying Unicorn- 36"...my kids love it but I cant ride it they have to do it with Dad. They ask to do this one over and over again.

Marvel Super Hero Island-

Spiderman...Just awesome!!! First time through when my son was 3 he had to close his eyes. He was frightened. Now he loves it...just depends on the child.

Dr Doom...no good for kids. (small one anyway)

Storm Force- Havent had any desire to even try this one.

Hulk...great Coaster very smooth, not for small ones.
This is another area to be on the look out for characters and a mini parade of villans and superheros!

Seuss Landing-
Great spot for the whole family! So colorful and lots of interactive play for kids.

If I ran the zoo...lots of fun:)

The Cat in the Hat- if spinning is a problem ask the attendant to turn off the spinning for your couch. My kids really enjoy this ride a lot. I do too.

One Fish Two Fish- Kids love this! Reminds me of dumbo with water options! lol

Caro Seussssss-el
Merry go round...really cute colorful creatures! Look for the switches/buttons that make each one move while you ride.

Do try and get over to the hotels maybe have a meal at one...very pretty settings and some great restaurants. City Walk also has a great water display mid section that my kids love to frolic in!

Hope you have a great trip:)

JessicaR and all- Thanks for the info! I am printing it out for future reference. (I was going to respond on Monday, but the routing problem kept me out part of Monday and all day yesterday.)

Our trip is still a ways off (169 days, 21 hours, 35 minutes, but who's counting?), so we haven't really started working on our itinerary. I'm sure I will have more questions as we get closer, and I'll still check this post for other responses.

Thanks...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter