Quick 20 hour solo trip to "fix" my tickets and Fairfield Inn mini review.

bettymae1121

DIS Veteran
Edit-Update 4/8/22 --

After this trip was completed, other DISboard posters stated that you can, in fact, make park reservations on expired tickets, and some posters have also stated that they were able to keep/reinstate park reservations made on expired tickets when they exchanged them in person at the ticket booths. Others have stated they have had some success in getting expired tickets refunded over the phone with Disney when they can show that they have bought new tickets. I am leaving my original post from March 2, 2022 as-is with no additional edits but I want to stress that if you have expired tickets to reach out to Disneyland to see what your options are regarding exchanges and park reservations, read more resent DISboard posts on the subject, or post your own question for the latest feedback.

In the end, I'm still glad I made this trip because all it takes is one getting one CM that doesn't know all the in's and out's of this issue to really goof things up, and this way I do not have to stress about it.

Now, on to my original post!!!

------

I didn't put this in the Trip Reports board since I didn't actually enter either theme park. But I know there have been people asking both about exchanging expired tickets and about the Fairfield Inn on Harbor. So here we go! If all you care about is the Fairfield Inn review, scroll down until you see Fairfield Inn Review in bold.

First, as a bit of back story - In February of 2020 I bought three 5 day park hopper with Max Pass for our planned June 2020 trip, trying to get in before they raised ticket prices.

So.....yeah.

We couldn't make the trip to DLR before the extended expiration date of late 2021, the best we could do was June of 2022. No biggie, since expired tickets can be exchanged for current valid ones, we just have to pay for any difference in cost. Not great but better than losing ~$1500 in admission!

Except it is kind of a "biggie" because you need park reservations now. I couldn't just show up in June and exchange the tickets at the start of our trip and realistically expect not to have any problems getting into the parks. You can't make park reservations on expired passes, and Disney (for whatever reason) can't exchange tickets remotely. It can only be done in person at a DLR ticket booth.

Did I mention we live near Chicago?

No way do I want to risk showing up in June without park reservations, with pent up demand from cancelled trips the last 2 years plus evening entertainment being brought back this spring - that's just a bad, bad idea. Nor did I want to buy brand new tickets and keep the old ones for some far-off future trip once advance park reservations are no longer a thing. So, I cashed in some frequent flyer miles and a free hotel certificate from my Bonvoy Amex, and took a one night trip to DLR this past weekend to fix the situation.

On Saturday I took an early non-stop flight from O'Hare to John Wayne (SNA) on American. The flight was long, but a breeze. Only having a backpack, upon arrival at SNA I literally walked outside, crossed the street, requested an Uber and was on my way to DLR within a few minutes. Uber was $50 plus a $10 tip. I've seen some complaints about the location of ride share pick up at SNA and I don't know what the fuss is about. Yes if you're claiming bags you have to go downstairs, get your bags, and then go back upstairs but it's really not a big deal, in my opinion. SNA is a pretty easy airport to navigate (then again, my home airport is O'Hare so nearly every airport in existence is easy in comparison, I suppose).

Traffic was light and I was dropped off at the guest drop off in less than 30 minutes. I cleared bag check and was at a ticket booth a few minutes later. Switching the tickets was very simple, I just explained I had expired tickets and that I wanted new ones, being careful to point out that I needed an adult ticket for my daughter as she just turned 10 (her expired ticket was a 9 and under). The CM did need a supervisor to approve it but it was a formality, it wasn't a problem at all. She even offered to help me make park reservations but I know my way around the Disney app and didn't want to take more of her time. While she was doing her thing I mentioned I'd flown out from Chicago just to do this. She was floored, said it was crazy! Her supervisor had come up to give approval for the exchange and said the day before she had a guest from Boston do the same thing. So it sounds like there are a few of us out there with the same problem! It was $230 for the new tickets after credit from the old ones (total for all 3 - old tix were 5 day park hoper with Maxpass, new were 5 day park hoper with Genie+).

So at this point, it's only 12 PM (my flight landed just before 11 AM local time by the way, when I say I sailed through my trip I really mean it, things could not have gone better) and my check-in time at Fairfield Inn isn't until 4 PM. I'm starving since there was no food on the flight (and I didn't want to have my mask off long enough to eat in-flight in any case) so I got a table for one at Naples Ristorante. I had a side salad, an individual margarita pizza and an Italian lemonade. All very good and $$$, $60 after tip! But I was treating myself given I had to travel all this way on my own and killing my weekend.

After that I window shopped in Downtown Disney for the next few hours. It was very busy and got even busier as the day went on, if the crowds here are any indication then the parks were probably pretty full too. I had heard that a good part of DTD was torn up as they are redeveloping or adding on to DLH or something, and that's true. After a few hours I had seen everything there was to see. Other than shopping (and there aren't a ton of shops), eating, or the bowling ally there isn't a whole lot to do. I'm glad I got the feel for things now so we don't plan too much time around DTD for our June trip.

About 3 PM I got some beignets from Ralph's Jazz Kitchen take out window for a snack and made my way to the Fairfield Inn (see hotel review below). I got checked in, went to my room, and laid down for about an hour, I'd had a very long day so far! Just after 5 I got up and walked back to Downtown Disney to grab some dinner. I got on the waitlist for Tortilla Joe's (about 30 minutes) and ducked into a few shops to stay warm, it had cooled off when the sun went down and it was very windy. Even my native Chicago self was a bit cold with only my hoodie on!

Unfortunately dinner was a let-down. It was down right bad. The chips and salsa were fine (I really liked the salsa actually) but the sauce they used for the enchiladas tasted like plain unseasoned tomato sauce and the taco wasn't great either. Service was good though, and I will say the portions are huge - the food might not be great but you get plenty of it. I had a diet Coke (I was tempted to get a margarita but being a solo female traveler at night, decided against it - the area is perfectly safe but better to err on the side of caution and all that) but I'd really only recommend this place for adult drinks and chips. I'm really sad to say that as I love Tex-Mex but it really was just not good. I only ate a few bites of each item, but with the chips and my big lunch from before it was enough to hold me over. Dinner was $40 including tip.

After I was done I headed straight back to the hotel, again I felt completely comfortable walking back by myself after dark. I set up my Uber ride for a 6 AM pick-up back to SNA ($53 plus $10 tip for the return) and turned in for the night. The next morning I went back to SNA (20 minute ride, if that -traffic was non-existent) and since I had TSA pre-check I breezed through security and grabbed some breakfast before my flight. I was home about 36 hours after my departing flight left Chicago!

Yesterday morning I scanned my new, valid paper tickets into my Disneyland app and made our park reservations for our June trip. I am SO glad I have this out of the way and don't need to stress out about it any more. If anyone has any questions about my ticket exchange experience, ask away!

Fairfield Inn Review

I picked the Fairfield Inn for my quick ticket exchange trip for two reasons, one - my free hotel cert was valid for it and two - it's the same hotel we are staying at in June and I thought this was an excellent way to give it a trial run. Why did we book it for our stay in June? Three reasons - one I had enough Marriott/Bonvoy points to cover a weeks stay, two - it looked nice from the online pictures and reviews, three - it was within easy walking distance of DLR.

I didn't time it I but I estimate it was 5-7 minutes from the plaza to the front door of the hotel, a very easy walk. There is an IHOP, a Denney's, and a McD's along the way, plus Panera Bread is literally in the parking lot of the Fairfield. The Tropicana hotel (also along the way) has a large convenience store, I didn't go in but I imagine they have plenty of options for snacks and drinks that you can keep in your room to help save a few $$$.

The hotel lobby is nice, just like the pictures and the gentleman that checked me in was friendly and fast. I got an "upgraded" room due to my gold status - which just means it has the Disney themed mural on the wall, but it was a nice touch. The elevators are just to the right of the check-in desk (they have 3 elevator cars so I imagine that helps during peak hours).

I was on the 6th floor, room 645. It had a connecting door, so I assume you can request connecting rooms if needed. The room was surprising large and in great shape, very clean. The mattress was firm but comfortable enough (I prefer softer mattresses as a personal preference but it was fine). What I really like, even though I didn't need it this trip as I was traveling solo, is that there is a sliding door between the sink area and the sleeping area, so if someone needs to change but the bathroom (tub/shower combo and toilet) is occupied it's easy enough to slide the door for some privacy. There is no microwave in the room but there is a dorm/cube mini fridge and a Keurig coffee maker (coffee is Green Mountain, two each of regular and decaf, and there were a few bags of tea available too). The front desk told me where microwaves were located but I didn't register it, but they are around if you really need one. There is also coin laundry at the hotel.

I didn't use the pool but it seems nice, it has a flagstone deck rather than just cement and they surrounded the pool area with bushes, plants and other landscaping so it won't feel quite so much like swimming in a parking lot. It also had a very small 2-3 person hot tub off in one corner. The pool is not huge but not too tiny either, and a rather boring rectangle shape. Not the best pool on Harbor but not the worst either. I believe I overheard someone say it was heated and since it was in full use but the air temp was only a high of 60, I'd have to imagine that's correct.

Other than vending machines near the elevators on each floor and the gift shop/lobby offerings there is no food at the hotel itself (no breakfast, free or otherwise, is available), there was a Pizza Hut on the 3rd floor but it's closed with no info on when/if it will re-open. As mentioned earlier, there is a Panera in the parking lot and several restaurants between Fairfield Inn and the crosswalk to DLR.

Noise - ugh, how to explain this? I did not hear any noise from the roads (Harbor in front or I-5 behind) so in that sense the room was quiet enough. I did, however, hear random thumps and bumps throughout the night, I assume these were from other guests or hotel staff doing their thing. It wasn't super loud, but enough that I noticed - I was able to roll over and go back to sleep each time. I suspect if I had been there for a few more nights I'd have become used to them and slept through. The A/C when running was noticeable but not so loud as to disturb me, I rather liked it as a white noise machine actually. So in total, I'd say the room is quiet-ish? I think it will depend on if you have courteous neighbors, if you do you'll be fine. If it turns out there is a group of teen Irish step-dancers staying for a competition, you're in trouble!

Overall verdict? I think it's a great hotel for a more reasonable rate that the Courtyard Theme Park next door and still within easy walking distance of the parks. 10/10 will stay there again in June without any hesitation.

Edited to correct a word.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Fairfield review! I've been meaning to try it out for a long time but every time we decide to go "cheap" and end up somewhere else. Maybe next time...

It is absolutely unacceptable that Disney makes people do this. I am so frustrated for you and all the other travelers who are being forced to fly across the country to do this.

I really like the food at Naples, but it is much, much too expensive! I only eat there if I’m splitting a “personal” pizza with my kids (they are huge!). I have only eaten at Tortilla Joe’s once because a lot of people rave about it but I really don’t get it. It was sort of like an airport Mexican restaurant, ha ha. Maybe people who don’t have access to great Mexican (as we do here in Southern California) things it’s great.

In DTD I like to eat at Uva Bar or Craftsman Bar (inside the GCH).

I'm glad you had a safe, enjoyable time, but GEEZ, it's ridiculous that you had to go to those extremes to exchange tickets. Shame on Disney.

It is absolutely unacceptable that Disney makes people do this. I am so frustrated for you and all the other travelers who are being forced to fly across the country to do this.

I really like the food at Naples, but it is much, much too expensive! I only eat there if I’m splitting a “personal” pizza with my kids (they are huge!). I have only eaten at Tortilla Joe’s once because a lot of people rave about it but I really don’t get it. It was sort of like an airport Mexican restaurant, ha ha. Maybe people who don’t have access to great Mexican (as we do here in Southern California) things it’s great.

In DTD I like to eat at Uva Bar or Craftsman Bar (inside the GCH).

I mean, yes on one hand it is ridiculous that non-local guests need to go to these lengths to address the issue of expired tickets and the advance reservation system. But on the other hand, throughout the pandemic I’ve tried to keep the attitude that if the worst thing that happens to my family is a cancelled Disney trip then we are very fortunate indeed. I mean, I’m watching people on the news each night fleeing their homes ahead an advancing army. Many families here in the US are struggling economically. I’m privileged to be able to afford a trip to CA to fix an issue so that my family can take a vacation later in the year. As annoying as it was, this was just a bump in the road.

And SoCalMouseMommy- Yes we tend to have great Mexican food here in Chicago too (we have a large Hispanic population for not being a border state) so I’m also spoiled. Thanks for suggesting Uva, and we do plan on checking out some of the restaurants at the Disney hotels.

At the ticket booth for the exchange did they seem to care about the names on your tickets or ask for ID for the exchange? Im holding tickets with the names of my son and his GF that will be exchanged in future for my husbands’ and sons’ use. They were purchased at a 3rd party, if that matters.

At the ticket booth for the exchange did they seem to care about the names on your tickets or ask for ID for the exchange? Im holding tickets with the names of my son and his GF that will be exchanged in future for my husbands’ and sons’ use. They were purchased at a 3rd party, if that matters.

They did not ask for ID. The CM did ask if I wanted the same names on the new tickets as the old ones - which I did. Not sure what would have happened if I had asked to change the names. My tickets were also third party tickets from Undercover Tourist.

"Except it is kind of a "biggie" because you need park reservations now. I couldn't just show up in June and exchange the tickets at the start of our trip and realistically expect not to have any problems getting into the parks. You can't make park reservations on expired passes, and Disney (for whatever reason) can't exchange tickets remotely. It can only be done in person at a DLR ticket booth."

Thanks for the great trip report! But..this part has me a little worried. We were in the exact same situation as you, bought the tickets in January 2020 when my DD was 9. She's 11 now. I thought we just show up and they change it at the ticket booth and it won't affect the reservations that I've already made. But am I wrong about that? We're supposed to go in May and now wondering if I need to go and change her ticket early. (We are out of state.)

Yikes, you really got gouged on the Uber fare. A flat rate taxi ride would have been $29.

I'm sorry you didn't like Tortilla Joe's. We always have good meals there and we live locally, so have plenty of authentic Mexican options. I always just get the fajitas at TJs, which are very good. I am not a fan of enchiladas anywhere. It's generally a bland dish no matter where you get it.

I love Naples. The atmosphere on the outdoor patio is stellar, but when I'm alone, I hit up Napolini instead, for half the price of Naples, but the same size individual pizza with the same quality of toppings. A personal pepperoni pizza there will set you back $12, but is indistinguishable from the $24 one next door. They also have salads there for about $7. Keep that in mind for your June trip, if you guys get a hankering for pizza.

"Except it is kind of a "biggie" because you need park reservations now. I couldn't just show up in June and exchange the tickets at the start of our trip and realistically expect not to have any problems getting into the parks. You can't make park reservations on expired passes, and Disney (for whatever reason) can't exchange tickets remotely. It can only be done in person at a DLR ticket booth."

Thanks for the great trip report! But..this part has me a little worried. We were in the exact same situation as you, bought the tickets in January 2020 when my DD was 9. She's 11 now. I thought we just show up and they change it at the ticket booth and it won't affect the reservations that I've already made. But am I wrong about that? We're supposed to go in May and now wondering if I need to go and change her ticket early. (We are out of state.)

This I'm not sure on. Were you able to make park reservations on your expired tickets? I didn't think that was possible, if you were I'm not sure how that will interact with needing to get new valid tickets and switch from a child to adult ticket. In your shoes I'd give Disney a call and ask so you know what you'll need to do. According to my notes, you can call Disney at (714) 781-4636 for questions about tickets, email is dlr.guest.information.ticket.sales2@disney.com.

Yikes, you really got gouged on the Uber fare. A flat rate taxi ride would have been $29.

I'm sorry you didn't like Tortilla Joe's. We always have good meals there and we live locally, so have plenty of authentic Mexican options. I always just get the fajitas at TJs, which are very good. I am not a fan of enchiladas anywhere. It's generally a bland dish no matter where you get it.

I love Naples. The atmosphere on the outdoor patio is stellar, but when I'm alone, I hit up Napolini instead, for half the price of Naples, but the same size individual pizza with the same quality of toppings. A personal pepperoni pizza there will set you back $12, but is indistinguishable from the $24 one next door. They also have salads there for about $7. Keep that in mind for your June trip, if you guys get a hankering for pizza.

I was sorry about not liking TJ's either, I'm no food snob, I typically like everything so this was surprising to me. If DH and DD want to eat there we'll do it (I can always just order nachos) but it's no longer at the top of my "wow I really want to eat there" list.

I was treating myself at Naples but if we eat there as a family in June we'll absolutely hit up Napolini for the cost savings. Thanks for the tip!

Disney really needs to fix this expired ticket / reservation issue. I would write to Disney and express how much effort it took you to exchange tickets just so you could get reservations. And they need to clearly understand that very few guests will be able to do what you did. So they could have huge negative PR backlash because of this.
I can think of at least two ways to fix the problem:

1) Allow the ability to make reservations using expired/unused tickets. Then exchanging them when you arrive won't be an issue (providing that the exchange does not invalidate the reservation). That seems to be what Pluto468 was able to do somehow.
2) Exchange the tickets remotely over the phone or preferably on the web site. Seems like a very basic process of entering your expired/unused ticket numbers and having the system issue new ones after paying any necessary cost difference.

The fact that Disney has not done this may indicate that their IT is not up to the task (what a surprise!). But the current situation is intolerable.

I'm impressed! We did the same thing in February, for our March visit. But, we drove down to Anaheim from the Bay Area for 1 night. The ticket agent who helped us was also very helpful.

Somebody asked about reservations on the expired tickets. I was actually able to make park reservations with my expired tickets and thought that they would just transfer with new tickets. However, I was told that would not be the case. I would be issued new tickets, invalidating my old expired tickets which would cancel out those reservations. The only way I could make reservations was if there was availability.

That was enough for me to decide to make the early ticket exchange trip. Maybe Disney needs to rethink this if so many people are doing this?

One thing about Mexican food is it is really different by region. I enjoy Tortilla Jo's, but I also know it is more of a Sonoran region style with a Tex Mex flare. They do keep the spice on the lighter side, but overall, I enjoy it. My ex-MIL was from the Sinaloa region, and FIL was from Sonora and he liked her food, even though it was spicier than what he had been used to. Oaxaca has some of the spiciest, but best moles around. But considering Mexican food traditionally doesn't include burritos, flour tortillas, yellow cheese, nachos, and relies more on pork and chicken as opposed to beef, it can be considered more of a Tex Mex than traditional. But we have several local mexican restaurants, mom and pop locations that use the above, but I would hesitate to call them Tex Mex, simply because they cater to what the people want.

Thanks for chronicling your journey. Sounds like fun but sorry you had to make the trip just to exchange tickets. I'm going in a couple of months so I'll be sure to avoid Tortilla Joe's, haha.

I'm in a similar situation as a lot of you. I have unused, expired tickets bought pre-covid from a third party site. I am finally able to go in May so I'm doing my preparation. I live pretty far away and am not able to make a special trip there just to exchange tickets. I was able to make reservations with the expired tickets. I was hoping that since I had reservations I could just go to the park when I get there to do the exchange. Let's say I was not a part of this forum and did not have awesome people like you sharing your knowledge about this, I find it hard to believe that Disney would cancel reservations on your expired tickets and deny you reservations if there was no availability. The website lets you make reservations. Even when checking the "My Day" tab on the Genie service its says "You're good to go!" under Park Reservation. I just don't see how they can let you make reservations and then cancelling them when you get there and assume that it is your fault for not knowing that reservations made with expired tickets are not valid. If that is their policy that is fine but then you should not be able to make reservations with expired tickets.

Reading through this thread I am increasingly nervous that the reservations would not transfer to the upgraded tickets. I am considering just buying new tickets and exchanging my old tickets for future travel, even though I do not know when I would be able to go back. Maybe I'm overthinking this and expecting the worst but this confusion and worrying does have me concerned. I am hoping for the best but kind of expecting the worst.

I enjoyed your report and totally agree about your review of the Fairfield Inn! It is our “go to” hotel and we usually always stay there. I recommend it to everyone but always tell them to bring ear plugs if they are light sleepers! It’s the bumps and door closing of the other rooms that I hear - never the traffic noise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter