quick december 3 day park/resort hopping trip

Lori74

DIS Veteran
dec 5-8 a few goals for this trip: tour some resorts to see xmas decorations, go to animal kingdom for the 1st time, ride the skyliner for the 1st time, see candlelight processional for the 1st time (and NPH), star wars stuff for our son and use uber as transportation for mco-disney-port canaveral. everything else is icing.

Day 1
we rented a studio from old key west. the trip was me, hubby and adult son. we chose key west due to the price and 2 queen beds. we usually rent a car or take shuttles, I talked my husband into trying an uber, yay! the trip from mco to okw was $41 for an uber xl.

we arrived at the resort around 2pm and they got us into the room right away. they put us in a golf cart with our 4 large bags and took us to our building. we got ground floor which I requested. it looked over the golf course which was beautiful. the room was nice, clean and large enough for the 3 of us. we had a reservation at homecomin so we had to get to disney springs right after we arrived. the disney transportation choices are by boat or bus. we decided bus was probably the quickest.

ive been wanting to try homecomin for years, but a few things have stopped me. my family doesn't really like the same things i do, they were not excited about the menu and to look at the prices i couldnt justify going. last yr we went to pepe (jalao) with the intention i was going to eat there, then they guys would eat elsewhere. they decided to try the food there and we all enjoyed everything so much i figured lets give homecomin a shot, they may like it. they are from the north, i from the south. i do not get this kind of food anymore, my mother and gmother gone, and i just cannot make fried chicken like them. i will try until the day i die, but just am no good at it. i do not have a sophisticated palette at all, just hope to eat something yummy. i ordered the fried chicken, mashed potatoes. we got mac and cheese, hushpuppies. husband got fried chicken salad; son got fried chicken sandwich. hushpuppies were good, pimento cheese was ok. mac and cheese was not creamy, it had a baked top that was kinda hard, it was cavatappi pasta, but just didnt have the creaminess or cheese we hoped for. my fried chicken i was so hopeful for, it just didn't make me happy. i didn't find much of a crisp, the chicken was juicy and edible. it wasnt even flavorful. it wasnt everything i hope to have when i order fried chicken. im pretty forgiving, but i just felt let down. i do have stars in my eyes when it comes to celebrity chefs, i expect it to be from pretty good to outstanding. i tried every piece, i just didnt like it. i thought the potatoes were good. did not like the gravy. i thought the pickles in my fridge were better than what we were served. the salad, i liked the dressing, and everything else seemed ok. we spent just under $150 and i left disappointed. my family felt bad for me because i was so excited, and maybe that was the problem. but now i know. we did a little shopping and looking around since we knew we probably wouldnt be back this trip.

we then caught a bus to wilderness lodge. wow is all i can say. its just beautiful. i would love to spend some time there just sitting and relaxing. we walked out back a little, it's just simply beautiful! we then took a bus to hollywood studios so we could ride the skyliner and then visit art of animation. we saw deer on the way, it was refreshing to see the wilderness in orlando, definitely not something you're used to! we were hoping to get to the skyliner to see the sunset, but it didn't work out. it was dark by the time we were on, but still nice. now onto art of animation. ok ill say it again, wow. this is what i think of when i think of a disney resort... we really thought it was spectacular. the lobby really stands out! okw is nice, and i know its a dvc deluxe resort, but i dont think of disney when im there. and it really doesnt stick in my mind. we've stayed at saratoga, port orleans, sports, and now okw. art of animation is just awesome and full on disney. im glad we were there at night, im sure that's why everything stood out so much, the lighting was great. we walked through the store, got a couple of resort mugs and checked out the food court. there wasnt much that stood out and we were quite tired so decided to get dinner at our resort and rest before our 2 whirwind park days to come. we just barely made it to order from our quick service, having underestimated how long it would take to get back. (that's the theme of this trip, 'i didn't know it would take that long to get there') they were kind to us when we apologized for getting there right before close. one of our mugs didnt work (it worked earlier) so they activated a new one and then just gave me back the defective one. i got one of the new resort mugs they are now giving out that has the various resorts on it. we got our food and asked once again how the buses work. we had to ask a few times how to navigate the resort vs parks comings and goings. we returned back to the room, ate, prepared for the next day and set an alarm with 'hey disney!'

A few pictures of the day...

Attachments

• 20231205_170831.jpg
    20231205_170831.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20231205_211128.jpg
    20231205_211128.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20231205_210344.jpg
    20231205_210344.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231205_204055.jpg
    20231205_204055.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 11
Great start! I agree that OKW doesn’t give off heavy “Disney Vibes”. I‘m originally from south Florida and it reminds me of the condos I grew up in! We’ve yet to try Homecoming, I’d like to some day but we do live in the deep south so I’m skeptical the food will be up to pretty much any “Meat and three” place we get home cooking from up here. Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip!

Day 2

my son was wanting to do everything star wars, so we were going to do early entry to hollywood studios. i studied, timed everything, had a couple of different plans depending on if rise was down... he only wanted to leave an hour before ee opening. ok, we dont stay in deluxe ever, this will be our only opportunity to get in early, but ok, im flexible-ish. we arrive 15 or so minutes after we could have gotten in. i notice rise is down before we get there, so we will do smugglers and be on the ready so we can beeline to rise when it opens. he says i dont know if i want to do any rides... um ok... now him and hubby arent riders, but we watched videos and they decided they could handle these rides. well ok, it's your park, make it what you want. i've seen star wars, its ok. not my thing, but i respect the love it gets. we walked back there and i was really taken back by how cool it was. ive seen videos and pics but very different walking in there. he wanted to do the magic band stuff and explore. it was so fun just experiencing it through him and seeing his happiness. the best part of it all, it was almost as if we had the area to ourselves. idk where the crowds were, maybe slinky, maybe tower, idk but it was pretty great. over an hour or so of walking around without bumping into a soul. i notice rise opened and the wait was tiny, lets go! no im good, he says. ok, this is probably as good as its going to get, but its your day. i made a reservation at oga's. we stood at the bar. im sure i didnt appreciate how cool it really was to a fan, but it was neat. we had a couple of drinks each, some were interesting, some weren't. the cast members were great, and we really enjoyed ourselves.

we eventually made our way to toy story land. toy story is more my jam. it reminds me of my kids when they were little. i really enjoyed the look of everything. this is where the ppl were! i would have liked to ride slinky, but it gets lonely riding by myself and i didnt want to wait in a line for so long. we were walking through the crowds then i stopped and was like omg! wait!! the guys looked at me wondering what in the world was wrong, and im like i had that toy! i had that toy! they cant see what i saw. the fisher price camper with the boat on top. they are looking at the toys in the kiosk, im like i had that whole thing! my little ppl went camping in there and rode the boat in my bath! (side note: i didn't have much of a childhood, grew up faster than i should have. so the 1st time i saw the castle and the child came out, my family was floored. when i have these moments they pause, giggle, and support my giddiness) it was really cool and definitely a highlight of my day.

we wandered around and saw mickey and minnie didn't have a long wait so hopped in line. it's a cute ride. we went through 100 yrs of disney and watched one mans dream. went to muppets & indiana jones.

we decided to grab some lunch at epcot then head back to the resort and relax for a bit. we took a boat to international gateway. grabbed some fish and chips and went to paris and got some sandwiches and treats from les halle and stood at a table by the water. it was quite busy. we walked to the front of the park and took a bus home. we dozed, cleaned up and headed back to hollywood studios. my son wanted to go back to star wars and i thought id take that time to do some shopping. studios doesnt get a lot of love from us, so i really havent spent time getting to know the park. the guys headed to the back and i wandered shop to shop. this was a party night so we were fighting the crowds leaving. we had about an hour and a half before we had to leave. i eventually made my way back to star wars and it was even more cool in the dark. my son was having so much fun with his magic band. he's like ok, lets go on rise now. im like you have got to be kidding me kid! i looked at the app expecting to be there for the next 2 hrs, it was a 20 min wait. im not sure if it's the party that has made the day so wonderful and easy to navigate, but im sure our experience wasnt typical to a normal day. we enjoyed the ride. the guys said the only thing they didnt like was the drop, but with them being non riders they enjoyed it and handled it well. i must say, hs isnt my park, and ill probably only go if others want to. ive been on tower multiple times and wouldnt mind trying the other rides, and while ive done plenty alone, im not willing to pay for genie just for me and ill only do a short line if im by myself.

that closed out our hollywood studios time, but the day isnt over, stay tuned....

Agreed on the quality of Homecomin', I am NOT from the south (MN gal over here) but the hype around that restaurant was so much that I couldn't help but feel extremely disappointed. Such a bummer!

Excited to read more! Can't believe your luck with your son's "ok, let's do Rise now!" and it's only a 20 min wait. Holy lucky!

OP: For your future information, you do not have to stay deluxe in order to take advantage of Early Theme Park Entry. That is available to anyone who stays at an on-site WDW resort. It's only the extra evening hours that are restricted to deluxe stays. I think there's a lot of confusion about this--it's not just you.

MFSR is, imo, a third-tier attraction. I'm wondering if after doing that your son decided that Rise wasn't worth it. But Rise is maybe the best attraction Disney has ever done. I hope you can see it next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter