• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Quiet spot for a solo traveler to relax?

SusanDK

DIS Veteran
I'm heading over to WDW tomorrow solo and see it is going to be very busy. My tentative plan is to start at HS (where I currently have a park reservation) with options for walking over to Epcot through the Boardwalk area at some point.

I'm seeking a place to take an afternoon break where I can sit and read quietly with a drink and snack, somewhat tucked away (not TS). As an example, when I did a solo day at AK, I loved the Nomad lounge where I was able to grab a table outside and enjoy a respite (had a drink and bread service which was perfect).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a similar atmosphere for a solo at HS, Boardwalk area or Epcot? Either a QS or Lounge would be perfect. I don't want a full meal so don't want a full TS.

At the Beach Club: you can buy food at the Beach Club Marketplace. It's right near the Solarium, where you can eat and relax. Tables, chairs, a tv. I've taken a cupcake in and hung out for awhile. Different vibe from a lounge but more relaxing.

Solarium at Beach Club. There’s also ample seating outdoors.

At Boardwalk resort, there’s outdoor seating on the second floor, just outside Belle Vue Lounge (almost always empty before the bar opens).

Also at Boardwalk, there’s a garden area along the walking path from HS. Plenty of benches and nobody ever sits out there.

Assuming the weather is nice, you could totally eat at the Brown Derby outside seating. It’s the full menu of the inside restaurant plus maybe one or two other items. They don’t take reservations. Last time we were there, there were actually several solo travelers there and there are rarely kiddos as most of the tables are high tops.

The other location in the Studios that is nice is the Baseline Taphouse. Again, outside seating, but their menu is more limited to beers, wines, and snacks (like a HUGE charcuterie plate and pretzel). This is a little more noisy due to its location and tends to have more kiddos, but it’s still more relatively “adult.”

I think the Brown Derby outside seating would be a better location for you. It is on a “main drag” so to speak, but it feels tucked away. (Not nearly as tucked away as Nomad Lounge or the other hotel locations that others suggested.). Chopped Salad is recommended!

We love the Baseline Taphouse but agree it is more open and busy than what I’ll be looking for. Thanks!

At the Beach Club: you can buy food at the Beach Club Marketplace. It's right near the Solarium, where you can eat and relax. Tables, chairs, a tv. I've taken a cupcake in and hung out for awhile. Different vibe from a lounge but more relaxing.
That's exactly what I like to do on solo trips, when I want to relax. Just one caveat-occasionally the Solarium is used for recreation activities-like last January they did the "Making Salt Scrubs" in there. Usually it isn't a lot of people, but it may happen.

Personally I like the Dolphin lobby, there are lots of food options there, even ice cream, and the chairs and sofas are super comfy. I also like sitting over on the porches at the Yacht and Beach Club.

Let us know where you wound up!

I'm heading over to WDW tomorrow solo and see it is going to be very busy. My tentative plan is to start at HS (where I currently have a park reservation) with options for walking over to Epcot through the Boardwalk area at some point.

I'm seeking a place to take an afternoon break where I can sit and read quietly with a drink and snack, somewhat tucked away (not TS). As an example, when I did a solo day at AK, I loved the Nomad lounge where I was able to grab a table outside and enjoy a respite (had a drink and bread service which was perfect).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a similar atmosphere for a solo at HS, Boardwalk area or Epcot? Either a QS or Lounge would be perfect. I don't want a full meal so don't want a full TS.
Id pick up a snack and head into the back Gardens of the countries. ..United Kingdom comes to mind..lovely tea garden. Id find a nice bench have a snack and take my shoes off!

For EP, you could get a drink that the Rose and Crown (or they have some taps set up just outside as well) then get fish n chips from Yorkshire and take it to the garden area behind the tea shop in the UK pavilion. Sometimes there are open tables down by the water by Yorkshire, but if it is busy those will likely be taken. Worth checking though. For DHS, really anything on the Sunset strip (though I think maybe Baseline Tap House if you prefer a drink) and you can find tucked away tables along the strip right around the DVC kiosk as well.

Such great suggestions. I ended up not going into any of the parks after checking the wait times for the few rides I was interested in. Instead I went to Wilderness Lodge to the Territory Lounge for a glass of wine and snack which was very nice. Afterwards I walked around outdoors at WL (the lobby area was packed) and saw how nice Geyser Point looked for a future visit.

I’d actually thought about taking the Skyliner to Riviera had I gone to HS, so that will be on my list for another time. I’m familiar with the spot down by the water, around the corner from Yorkshire fish & chips - have gone there a few times in the past with DH, one of our favorite places to grab a quick bite to eat.

All the options around the Boardwalk area sound perfect as well and I love the walk between HS and Epcot, so I know I’ll be making those stops another time.

Had a great day yesterday checking out a lot of the suggestions in this thread.

I could only get a park reservation for Epcot, but parked at Studios and started with a hop on the Skyliner from to Riviera to check it out. I had thought that I might stop at either Le Petit Cafe and sit in the Voyageur's Lounge, or go to Primo Piato and have a glass of wine and charcuterie or cheese plate. I must admit to being disappointed in the entire vibe at Riviera. The Voyageur's Lounge was packed - looks like it would be a cozy place to sit if uncrowded. I thought Primo Piato was less than inviting. It wasn't crowded but seating looking uncomfortable and the charcuterie/cheese plates were not appealing looking. So I hopped back on the Skyliner to Epcot.

I mainly wanted to check in at Epcot so I had flexibility to enter Studios later if desired, so I did not spend much time there - very crowded. I really wanted to stroll back through the Boardwalk area and check out some of the other suggestions up thread.

First stop, Beach Club. I found the Solarium and what a lovely surprise! Only about a quarter full with plenty of small tables alongside the windows, quiet, tucked away. Just perfect! So I went into the Marketplace and grabbed a single serving of red wine and bag of chips (I wasn't hungry enough for more having had lunch at home before arriving), then settled in to a window table in the Solarium and read on my Kindle, watched some streaming video with my headphones, and chilled.

I walked through the Beach Club and took a peek at Martha's Vineyard which was open by now. Loved it! I didn't stop this time, but it will be on my list for a future visit. Lots of cozy seating and the lounge menu looks appealing.

Next stop, Yacht Club. I loved the vibe of the Crew's Cup Lounge, the seating looked great to tuck in and relax for a bit, but the menu wasn't that appealing for what I'm usually looking for. Unless maybe I'm in the mood for an Irish coffee, but this is rare in Florida, lol. The menu is more appealing at the Ale & Compass lounge, but I found the seating area to be less appealing when trying to tuck away solo and discretely read for an hour or so.

I then walked to the Dophin, entering on the level of The Fountain which was not at all appealing. The main floor lobby was packed with hundreds of people attending a reception for some kind of business conference. I have been to the Dolphin lobby years ago where I could stop for a moment and sit on a couch, maybe even with a piano player in the lobby, IIRC. But this day it was overrun with people. I took a peek at the various quick options like Fuel and Picabu but neither fit the bill. I tried to take a peek at the Blue Zoo lounge or Shula's lounge but both seemed inappropriate for a late afternoon pop-in wearing shorts.

Last stop was the Swan hotel that seemed to also be hosting the business reception spilled over from the Dolphin. I walked past Java but if I were to choose, I think Fuel at Dolphin was a better option than Java.

So to summarize, the Solarium at Beach Club was perfect and I can see enjoying Martha's Vineyard another time. I also plan to walk around the Boardwalk side next time and maybe try AbracadaBar or sit at the outdoor seating area of the Inn. For any days except the weekend, I agree there are several areas in Epcot World Showcase where one can tuck away off the beaten path, but less so on the weekends. Morocco has some tucked away spots, as does Japan.

Thanks to all who made suggestions and feel free to add to it, also for the MK/AK and surrounding resorts.

I then walked to the Dophin, entering on the level of The Fountain which was not at all appealing. The main floor lobby was packed with hundreds of people attending a reception for some kind of business conference. I have been to the Dolphin lobby years ago where I could stop for a moment and sit on a couch, maybe even with a piano player in the lobby, IIRC. But this day it was overrun with people. I took a peek at the various quick options like Fuel and Picabu but neither fit the bill. I tried to take a peek at the Blue Zoo lounge or Shula's lounge but both seemed inappropriate for a late afternoon pop-in wearing shorts.
Oh, wow, you caught it at a busy time! We’re there a lot so maybe we catch it more on times that aren’t as busy.

I wouldn’t be able to go by The Fountain without getting an ice cream!🍦

Glad you found somewhere you like! Did you check out the porches/rocking chairs at Y&B?

3D1AA9E3-7C40-4171-9790-3FCB60145358.png

Glad you found somewhere you like! Did you check out the porches/rocking chairs at Y&B?

Where are the porches / rocking chairs at Y&B? Out front or on the Stormalong Bay side? Ground level? I walked along the path between Stormalong and the building, past Beaches & Cream, then went inside and after visiting the Solarium, I walked through the inside past the lounges / restaurants.

Where is your photo? There was no lobby I walked through on Sunday that was that empty!

The photo was from the Dolphin lobby around noontime on a weekday, looking toward FUEL on the left and the valet area straight ahead.

The rocking chairs are around the entrances coming from the lighthouse. If you keep walking from the Beach Club along the outside, you will eventually come to them.

1666043832824.jpeg

1666043951605.jpeg

1666044696691.jpeg

Thank you! I should have taken a photo of the Dolphin lobby on Sunday to show the contrast. It was quite the event - at least a couple hundred people mingling with drinks. I'm even thinking they may have removed the chairs and sofas to allow for more standing room. The walkway from the Dolphin to Swan had tables set up with company names on them, more drinks, and catering warming dishes (those big silver ones like you see in breakfast buffets with the eggs and hot dishes). Lots of staff on golf carts holding up signs to whisk guests from one location to the other.

The rocking chairs look very nice for a day when the weather suits - it was in the 90's on Sunday so I enjoyed my sojourn in the Solarium. But I can see relaxing in the chairs another time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter