"R" Rated, Forgive me Lily

windwalker

I need an Adventure
Caught you! Now you are trapped in the lair of the EVIL PANDA. Don't try to slink out without paying your ransom, we all saw you come in here.

Your ransom is to tell what "REST"means on your personal training plan.

The rest is an important part of everyones plan. It's during rest that you actually get stronger. Your exercise tears you down and the rest is when your body rebuilds better.

Rest can mean anything from total couch mode to just doing a few miles to stay loose.

The basic book definition is the rest day is for resting the muscles you have been working. So if you just run, a rest day can be a crosstraining day or an upperbody weight workout.

Please share what the rest day means to you.

Evil Pandapirate:

Caught you! Now you are trapped in the lair of the EVIL PANDA. Don't try to slink out without paying your ransom, we all saw you come in here.
Evil Pandapirate:

:worship: I'll admit that I was caught by the Evil Panda!

Rest day for me is usually some light yoga, stretches - no cardio

Ok, who else has been trapped:scared1:

Darn. I was hoping you had found our Polish Cycling Team Photo.

Oh, and rest for me is just deciding not to do something I am supposed to. I know I have successfully "rested" when I get yelled at by DW, one of the kids, my boss, my secretary, a client, a judge, a complete stranger, and/or one of my WISHmates.

:rotfl2:

I have to say as a newbie, and non runner, rest day is couch potato mode!!

I was hoping for something to get me a little more energized for a run today. Or at least something to daydream about on the treadmill. Oh, well.

For me, a rest day is a low or no cardio day. Usually I'll do something: stretching, yoga, maybe the weight machine circuit at the gym if I've been too easy on myself during the week. Really, to me its resting my rapidly aging, creaky joints, giving them a break from pounding against pavement and the like.

Sorry to disappoint you Bill, no European cyclists in red spandex. You could watch the Sumo championships, I hear the contestents wear thongs.

Rest means different things to each of us and it can be confusing to a new athlete.

I know every guy has experienced this: You haven't done weights forever so you go to the gym do a good routine hitting all the major muscle groups and get a good "PUMP". Then the next morning when you wake up you swear that somneone took a ball bat to you while you slept.

That is an extreme example of what happens every time you exercise. Most of us don't exercise intensely enouth to need rest every other day but sometimes a rest day should be inserted into your routine.

Every PR should be followed by a rest or easy day. Trying to set a new PR every day is tempting because you think "I can go just a little harder today", I'm reminded of that thinking every time my achillies tendon starts singing to me.

EVIL Pandapirate:

Ahhhh rest. Well...Monday is rest day for me. But I teach 3 pilates classes. I actually don't take all my classes...it's very important that I walk around and help people to perform the exercises safely so I adjust their form and keep an eye on the class. So on Monday...I won't take more than one hour of pilates total :). Usually ;).

Sorry to disappoint you Bill, no European cyclists in red spandex.

EVIL Pandapirate:

Is that the pic that shows you just why BLACK bike shorts are better? I think I know of what you speak. :lmao:

Rest days for me are either: totally off, or some core work/weights. Usually not even swimming. No running, as I have "recovery runs" built into the schedule from time to time.

hmmmm, I do Pilates and weights on cross training days and I plan to do a leisurely bike ride on rest days. I used to do nothing, but My team needs me!:cool1:

OMG, too too funny......that's exactly what I was going to post until I scrolled down and saw you already did! I guess great minds thing alike!

Enough, Dave....next thing you'll be starting an X-rated thread about cross-training!

Rest day means sleeping in until 6 am---Aaaahhh! (Which really is hard to do when you are used to being at the gym by 5:30 am)

Maura

Maura, :worship: 5:30 a.m. gym. I just can't go there. I am "resting" at that time.

Rest to me means just that usually. Sometimes after the LR Saturday, rest for me might be some easy pool work where I can stretch and swim some. Just need to do it is all.

Stay away from those Polish dudes!

OMG, too too funny......that's exactly what I was going to post until I scrolled down and saw you already did! I guess great minds thing alike!

Enough, Dave....next thing you'll be starting an X-rated thread about cross-training!

Judy already beat me to that one.

Blushing Panda:hippie:

My "rest" day is currently coming home from work, changing, and going out on a "date" with dh.... :lovestruc I've been trying to do some kind of exercise every day, but for me "rest" is day off. Friday nights are special. :)

Rest means catching up on whatever I didn't do to have time to exercise. Typically it is work related or home life related. Still active usually, but not a set form of exercise - more just making sure I move to keep things loose and doing something about the piles of laundry and toys in the house that make for a kickin obsticle course! :laughing:

Rest for me is usually stretching or core work. Although sometimes it's popcorn and a good movie in front of the big screen. :3dglasses

Tuesday is my rest day and I don't do any kind of exercise on that day. I usually run on Wednesdays, Saturday and Sundays. On the other days I'm usually doing a combination of weight training, pilates or cross training on an elliptical machine.

Hi judy, I thought I was bad getting up every morning at 5:30 to head off to the Gym or to walk.

Impressed Panda:hippie:

Yea, but I bet you're not in bed - asleep - by 9:30pm every night. :upsidedow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter