Random Max Pass Observations, Newbie Style

So on the day we are going to be there Matterhorn and WOC are going to be down. Should I expect MP availability at DL to decrease? Also with WOC not running should I see shorter wait times in the last 3-4 hours before closing at DL and/or DCA?
Eh, it may decrease a bit, but probably not too noticeably. Crowds will affect it significantly more than one ride more or less. Crowds are the difference between “it’s 10pm and most FPs are still available” and “it’s 8pm and nothing is left.”

WOC has been down for months, so that’s not going to change anything.

Don't skip Peter Pan just because it's also at WDW. DLs Peter Pan is WAY better. Do it at night, after fireworks. Line will be about 20-25 min at that time.

We may try that as long as the line isn’t ridiculous. Same with the Nemo subs, maybe after 8-9pm.

I'm a MP newbie as well. I've been wondering what the strategy should be for first thing in the morning. But I've heard somewhere that even though MP pulls from the same pool as FP, immediate return times are not available for MP like they are with FP? Is this true? With immediate return times, you could do a lot of damage first thing in the morning picking up a new MP every 5 minutes or so until you have enough to fill an entire hour of rides. So does anyone know, If you enter the park 30 minutes before opening, what will the return times look like with MP?

I'm a MP newbie as well. I've been wondering what the strategy should be for first thing in the morning. But I've heard somewhere that even though MP pulls from the same pool as FP, immediate return times are not available for MP like they are with FP? Is this true? With immediate return times, you could do a lot of damage first thing in the morning picking up a new MP every 5 minutes or so until you have enough to fill an entire hour of rides. So does anyone know, If you enter the park 30 minutes before opening, what will the return times look like with MP?
Immediate times are available with Maxpass; actually, they’d be more available since you could potentially pick up a cancellation.

Usually, 30 minutes before opening, RSR will already be aways out from people with EMH picking it up, and if it’s a crowded day (especially a crowded MM day), some of the other more popular rides might be out as far as an hour past their initial FP times. Most will have their first FP window available though (keep in mind that the window starts 30 minutes after the ride opens if it wasn’t open for EMH/MM).

Another clarification, though: you’d have to scan in to use a FP before grabbing another, or else there’s a 30-minute wait in between FP acquisition. So you can’t just pull one every 5 minutes without using them.

I think MP will always be your best bet for getting immediate FP return times. One possible source of confusion: If there is no early entry at the park, the the first return times are 30 minutes after the parks open. For example, if you are at Disneyland with an 8am opening and early entry is at DCA that day, then the earliest you can get a return time is 8:30 at Disneyland. That is really the only time there won't be any immediate FP available.** After that first 30 minutes there will be immediate return times available off and on for various rides. Our strategy it so use that first hour to focus on rides that do not have FP so we can get them out of the way before the lines build. Meanwhile we have a couple FP lined up.

**subject to change at any possible moment due to some whim of a Disney official without any notice whatsoever.

I think MP will always be your best bet for getting immediate FP return times. One possible source of confusion: If there is no early entry at the park, the the first return times are 30 minutes after the parks open. For example, if you are at Disneyland with an 8am opening and early entry is at DCA that day, then the earliest you can get a return time is 8:30 at Disneyland. That is really the only time there won't be any immediate FP available.** After that first 30 minutes there will be immediate return times available off and on for various rides. Our strategy it so use that first hour to focus on rides that do not have FP so we can get them out of the way before the lines build. Meanwhile we have a couple FP lined up.

**subject to change at any possible moment due to some whim of a Disney official without any notice whatsoever.

So if the park DOES have EE, then the first MP return time will be x:05? But the other park will be x:30? That's strange. You can make your first MP as soon as you enter, even if the other park isn't open yet right?

I didn't realize there was a 30 minute "cool down" period. I thought it was 90 minutes or the opening of your FP window, whichever comes first.

So if the park DOES have EE, then the first MP return time will be x:05? But the other park will be x:30? That's strange. You can make your first MP as soon as you enter, even if the other park isn't open yet right?

I didn't realize there was a 30 minute "cool down" period. I thought it was 90 minutes or the opening of your FP window, whichever comes first.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-answer-to-when-can-i-pull-my-next-fp.3634984/#post-58222160 There was very briefly no 30-minute minimum for a couple of weeks last summer. There has been ever since then.

To add to the “non-EHM park FPs start 30 minutes later” thing, when DL has EMH/MM, only Tomorrowland and Fantasyland are open, so those are the FPs that start when the park opens. The others (like Indiana Jones, HM) start 30 minutes later.

So yes, if DL had EHM/MM at 7, and the park opens at 8, you could book a FP right when you walk in at 7, but it would be for either 8 or 8:30 return time, depending what FP it is. Space would be 8, because it’s in Tomorrowland. Indiana Jones would be 8:30. RSR over in DCA would be 8:30. **Again, this is how it currently works, but they’ve changed it a couple of times, so no promises it will stay this way.

- Your Max Pass system COMPLETELY blows away the FP system at WDW. There is so much flexibility and I love not having to make reservations 60 days in advance. I mean really, who can know what ride they want to do two months from now? I don't even know what's for dinner tonight...
Exactly and then add in needing to know where you want to eat at 180+10 out......really Disneyland is a lot lower stress from that standpoint.

I've been to DLR multiple times, but not since MP rolled out. Can someone help a newb with the strict basics of MP?

You purchase it per day, can pick up FP after scanning into the park with the DLR app on your phone, I get those points. Does the CM scan my phone to redeem the FP at the FP line, then? Do they just scan my phone for my husband and I's FP redemption or will he need the app as well (I'm guessing not, but while I'm asking questions...)?

Any quick basic points would be appreciated!

I've been to DLR multiple times, but not since MP rolled out. Can someone help a newb with the strict basics of MP?

You purchase it per day, can pick up FP after scanning into the park with the DLR app on your phone, I get those points. Does the CM scan my phone to redeem the FP at the FP line, then? Do they just scan my phone for my husband and I's FP redemption or will he need the app as well (I'm guessing not, but while I'm asking questions...)?

Any quick basic points would be appreciated!

All the FP rides now have scanning terminals, and everyone using Fastpass (regardless of if they used Maxpass or not) scans their ticket, annual pass, or phone at those terminals (the old paper printouts from the machines are now just receipts/return-time reminders). Usually there are 2-4 of the terminals and a CM standing by to assist if you need help. If your husband's ticket is loaded into the app on your phone, you can scan both yours and his on your device (just swipe side-to-side to move between them), though it's sometimes quicker to have both people use their own tickets/phones so you can scan at two of the terminals at once.

All the FP rides now have scanning terminals, and everyone using Fastpass (regardless of if they used Maxpass or not) scans their ticket, annual pass, or phone at those terminals (the old paper printouts from the machines are now just receipts/return-time reminders). Usually there are 2-4 of the terminals and a CM standing by to assist if you need help. If your husband's ticket is loaded into the app on your phone, you can scan both yours and his on your device (just swipe side-to-side to move between them), though it's sometimes quicker to have both people use their own tickets/phones so you can scan at two of the terminals at once.

So you can use your admission ticket instead of your phone if you want? Am I reading that correctly?

If there is a thread about MP info and usage, someone please direct me to it as I can't seem to find it.

So you can use your admission ticket instead of your phone if you want? Am I reading that correctly?

If there is a thread about MP info and usage, someone please direct me to it as I can't seem to find it.

Yes, that's correct. No matter how you do it, the scanning terminals are scanning your ticket (or annual pass) barcode. The app just displays it on your phone's screen, but you can use your paper admission ticket if you want. The Fastpasses are linked to your ticket now.

Yes, that's correct. No matter how you do it, the scanning terminals are scanning your ticket (or annual pass) barcode. The app just displays it on your phone's screen, but you can use your paper admission ticket if you want. The Fastpasses are linked to your ticket now.

Thank you so much for your help!

How necessary is MP in the last 2-3 hours of the day, specifically for DL? If I were to wait to do Peter Pan or the Nemo Subs until 9-10pm what kind of waits would I be looking at?

How necessary is MP in the last 2-3 hours of the day, specifically for DL? If I were to wait to do Peter Pan or the Nemo Subs until 9-10pm what kind of waits would I be looking at?

Well, MaxPass doesn't help you with those two rides. Neither is on the Fastpass system at all. Fastpass in Disneyland is Space Mountain, Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear, It's a Small World, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Matterhorn, Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones, and Haunted Mansion (and Fantasmic!).

Well, MaxPass doesn't help you with those two rides. Neither is on the Fastpass system at all. Fastpass in Disneyland is Space Mountain, Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear, It's a Small World, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Matterhorn, Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones, and Haunted Mansion (and Fantasmic!).

Yeah I knew that but I didn’t know if I should spend my evening park time using MP or do things that don’t have MP to begin with. If PP or Nemo have long waits at night we won’t bother.

The Nemo ride is awful at night. You can't see a thing. Do that one early.

Save Peter Pan for after fireworks. Fantasyland will be closed from about 9:00 to 10:15-10:30. If you wait for it to reopen, you'll have about a 20 min wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter