Rank wdw roller coasters from least scariest to scariest

For those that have ridden both Guardians of the Galaxy and Universal's Velocicoaster, how does GotG compare? I just rode Velocicoaster and won't ride it again. It was way too intense for me and I love coasters like RnRC and EE.

If you have been to other amusement parks and ridden their tallest/fastest coasters you will probably be disappointed in most of the Disney rides. Disney isn't really designed to be a roller coaster park like most other amusement parks.

I think a lot of it depends on what you/your kids see as "scary." My daughter was 8/almost 9 on our last trip, and she would NOT go on Expedition Everest because of the drop, but was (mostly) ok on RNRC, which is in the dark and goes upside down. She's fine with fast and even upside down, she's not ok with big hills. I think RNRC is more intense than EE though.

I haven't been on SDD (or GotG obviously) but outside of those two, I'd say 7DMT, Barnstormer, BTTM, Space, EE, RNRC.
I also think the restraint system makes a difference. I'm pretty sure my son would actually love rollercoasters that go upside down, since the shoulder restraint is more restraining. But, he won't try any, because he doesn't like feeling insecure in "lesser" rides.

Barnstormer, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Slinky Dog Dash, Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, Rock N Roller Coaster.

I would go Barnstormer, TM, SDMT, SDD, Space Mountain, RnR, EE. But thats because I find drops "scarier" than spins. RnR is intense but not scary at all for me, but Everest has that one kind of big drop that I don't really like.

As everyone has said, it's very person-specific. Everest was not a big deal to me but Slinky Dog Dash was. So bizarre.

I find all the rollercoasters at WDW tame compared to other parks, but here is my order:

Barnstormer, Seven Dwarves, Slinky, Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, EE, RnR.

The only one that bothers me is RnR, only because I tend to get my neck hit on the sides of the restraints.

If instead you want to rank it in terms of fun (the last one is the most fun):

Barnstormer (uncomfortable for adults, lazy theming, too short, not very exciting)
Space Mountain (iconic, but too rickety, can't really see anything, doesn't have improvements that the version at Disneyland has)
Seven Dwarves (points for the dark ride parts, the rest of it is rather boring)
Slinky (good family coaster fun)
RnR (uncomfortable, dark, but otherwise it's good times)
EE (drops, yeti, and going backward are all good times)
Thunder Mountain (pure fun)

Tamest to scariest is very subjective based upon a riders pre-conceived notions. . . . .IMHO!

I picture them like this, from least to most scary/intense for kids:
  • Barnstormer (can see the whole thing at once, not fast, outside, and well lit, gets over very quickly)
  • Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride (smooth, some darker inside parts but you go slow in these parts, can see a lot of it from outside, outside and well lit)

Then a medium gap in intensity to: (these should still be fine for all ages)
  • Slinky Dog Dash (Can see most of it at once. Outside and well lit. Smooth and medium speed, This one barely makes this category due to the high(ish) hill)
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - (Can see most of it from the outside. Faster and louder, but all in good humor. This is an overall great coaster for all ages that's intense enough to satisfy most everyone with the dips and curves. Outside and well lit)

Another gap in intensity (but not insane like you'll find at Cedar Point, Six Flags, etc...):
  • Space Mountain (Can't see ride at all from the queue. Dark ride. Feels fast and is jarring with bumps, dips and unexpected turns)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy (TBD where I see this fitting)
  • Rockin Roller Coaster (Can see the launch from the queue which might freak some folks out. (It's a smooth launch from 0-60mph in under 3 seconds) :duck: Smooth, fast coaster that rolls and goes upside down three times. Dark ride)
  • Expedition Everest (Loud and fast, with some sections that really suck you down into your seat due to the G forces. The G forces can make some folks get tunnel vision and feel bad, which is why I rank above RnRC. The backwards portion can be unwelcome for folks too.)
Dan

Last edited:
Barnstormer, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Slinky Dog Dash, Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, Rock N Roller Coaster.
I agree with this order, but find Barnstormer very uncomfortable because there is so little leg room (I am 5’6”). Personally, I would start them out on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and take it from there.

To the question about upside down, when Everest goes backward it makes some people feel like they go upside down.

Barnstormer, 7dmt,slinky dog, big thunder, space mountain, everest, rock n roll coaster. Rock n roll wouldn't real intense if the lift off wasn't so fast. Takes your organs a min to catch up with your body lol.

For our family, the ranking goes like this (we haven't ridden Guardians yet, my kids are now 14 and 16):
1) Barnstormer - we haven't ridden this one since the kids were small due to the wait and small car size.
2) 7 Dwarves Mine Train
3) Slinky Dog
4) Thunder Mountain
5) Space Mountain
6) Expedition Everest
7) Rockin Roller Coaster.

For us, RnRC is the most intense due to the crazy initial launch and full inversions. It is always positive G, though. Everest has the backwards section and a drop (with a curved ending, so it isn't straight down). Both of my boys loved Everest, but only one of them likes RnRC (my older son doesn't like the intense launch).

For those that have ridden both Guardians of the Galaxy and Universal's Velocicoaster, how does GotG compare? I just rode Velocicoaster and won't ride it again. It was way too intense for me and I love coasters like RnRC and EE.
No comparison. VC is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more intense than GotG. GotG is like a kiddie ride compared to it.

Ahhh.
So the spinning is that intense?
I guess I imagined it more of a turning on the track than a spinning (similar to Gringotts or FJ).
That would definitely make a difference.
Yikes!
It doesn't spin per se - the car rotates on its axis though the coaster train (the base with the wheels that move on the tracks) does not move and the train continues to move forward on the tracks. The ride is very smooth, and is less intense than EE in terms of the coaster aspect (curves, hills, angular forces). Many people who experience sickness are getting it as they try to watch the screens which are huge and lead the ride story as you are experiencing the ride. There is not any spinning like teacups or Primeval Whirl or even Gringotts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter