"Rapid seismic slowdown in spending!"

If I were looking to save money on vacations this year, I wouldn't bank the points. I would TAKE ADVANTAGE of my DVC. I'd use the "free" lodging and just NOT GO TO THE PARKS and eat in the villa.

Talk about a cheap vacation.:dance3:

Well, if you must use airfare, and for a family, it still is pretty pricey. Airfare, food thru GG, incedentals can still add up!

But Disney is sacrificing margin for volume with their buy 4 get 3 free deals. And what about the 5 nights free at BLT, hundreds of dollars of Disney cash and extra cash incentives DVC itself is offering at the Traveling Show for buying in at the new resorts? Isn't that a bit-o-margin?

Even though it's a one time payment, the upfront cost/revenue on DVC is many times what a single trip would cost. The incentives I have seen only include Dev. points, which is a no cost carrot for DVC to dangle out there. Perhaps they are attacking in two ways, margin on the long term DVC side and volume on the CRO side.

popcorn:: Ooo the Magic. :wizard: Disney stock has dropped from 35 to 21 over the past year. That's more than 30%. Someone send Jim Lewis a copy of the Wall STreet Journal. Actually:

The Disney Travel Show incentives may be only the start. I think DVC sees what is going around.

Ahh..if only my MGM stock had only fallen 30%. Let's see..at the height of the stock purchase plan from the folks in Dubai we were offered $85 a share.
Trading closed Friday at $10.45.:scared1: (I really should not look)
However, I worked for MGM and have faith in them and think they will be back, so this may be a nice time to buy..

Say, CraftyMouse, don't you think some of these people are "just stirring the pot"? Say nice things about DVC or don't say anything at all. :rolleyes1

Somehow I missed this post. While CraftyMouse and I don't agree on everything... I think we agree on this thread. I must also say that CraftyMouse is an ongoing contributor in answering questions and seems to be fairly balanced in his/her approach to issues raised. JMHO.

I think DVC is completely out of their minds to be raising point prices right now, UNLESS it's shortly followed by massive per-point discounts that just happen to compensate for the increase.

I think DVC is completely out of their minds to be raising point prices right now, UNLESS it's shortly followed by massive per-point discounts that just happen to compensate for the increase.

I think that's what they are going to do, offer some sort of incentive(dev. points,visa card, small cash discount) following the price increase. That's so people think they got a deal.

I have asked myself these same questions it seems like every major corporation around us is crumbling. I have been trying to buy a new Tahoe for a few months and the value of everything is dropping. I don't know what this says for DVC. I just hope I am safe, I am 100% disabled from the Iraq War. I would not think that they would mess with us, do you? Everyday on the news people are being layed off by the hundred's. Maybe Obama has a good plan.

I have asked myself these same questions it seems like every major corporation around us is crumbling. I have been trying to buy a new Tahoe for a few months and the value of everything is dropping. I don't know what this says for DVC. I just hope I am safe, I am 100% disabled from the Iraq War. I would not think that they would mess with us, do you? Everyday on the news people are being layed off by the hundred's. Maybe Obama has a good plan.

Tahoe.....I assume you live either on a mountain or in a mudbog....

I do thank you for the service, though.....

My pessimism grows by the day. On Bloomberg this morning, there was an article projecting that U.S. unemployment will be 9% by 4th quarter 2009. That is just huge. I just feel like hibernating and hunkering down.

I hope that after the inauguration the new administration will be able to start turning the ship around. I believe it is going to require a massive public works program to rebuild our infrastructure and create the jobs to do that putting people back to work. Robandkelley13: thank you for your service.

If I were looking to save money on vacations this year, I wouldn't bank the points. I would TAKE ADVANTAGE of my DVC. I'd use the "free" lodging and just NOT GO TO THE PARKS and eat in the villa.

Talk about a cheap vacation.:dance3:

This is what DH and I are doing. He's been laid off since June, but heck, I still need a vacation. We'll be going in Jan. Got R/T air for under $150pp. We might eat out one meal, but will be eating most meals in the villa. We'll be able to do 2 days in the parks if we want due to non-expiration passes we bought in '05. Who can go on vacation for under $500 OOP??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter