RCL or NCL

zoo2tycoon

DIS Veteran
We currently have 2 cruises booked. I have read many reviews on cruise critic. Looking here for opinions.

We have a eastern Caribbean on Allure next May. Large balcony cabins next door to each other with prepaid tips.

Also booked a week later NCL Escape. Haven aft balcony with master suite and 2 baths, although one small. Haven amenities plus 250 min wifi, ultimate dining and beverage package for the first 2 passengers and $50 shore excursion credit per port.

Similar itineraries and prices. Family if 4 ... Kids 20 and 21 at cruise time.

Any personal pros and cons???

I wish it was back to back! No we have to choose one or the other and was seeing pros and cons from others.

Depends on how the sleeping arrangements are in that suite, but Escape is NCL's newest and largest ship, and Haven is a "ship within a ship" with a ton of exclusive amenities. If it were just the two of you, I'd do NCL in a Haven suite over Allure in a balcony any day. If the 20&21 YO are good with the layout, it would be my choice for the four of you as well. Just a word of caution: Suite life is highly addictive - it gets really tough to go back to a normal cabin once you've gotten a taste ;):)

I waited until today to see what the July promos were. No changes except the NCL went up $700 with the same promos! Glad I had booked both. I'm going to cancel the RCL and try NCL. I do appreciate all the responses. We basically decided we'd never do the Haven experience as a family and with sons ready to graduate college probably not many more family vacations.

So I know you have already decided, but we were in a similar situation and picked ncl too.

We will likely do both :teleport:. We booked a 9 night Canada/New England aboard the Anthem next year followed by the 5 night Bermuda cruise that the Anthem switches to. Looked at the Spa Junior Suite but it just doesn't provide a full "suite" experience. For the same price of a Spa JS for the 14 days, we could do the 9 night Anthem in a Ocean View stateroom with Balcony followed by a 7 night Florida & Bahamas Haven Spa Suite Balcony aboard the Breakaway. The Anthem arrives on a Sat at Port Liberty so we would stay a night in NY before boarding the Breakaway on Sun at Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

I would have rather cruised to Bermuda than the Bahamas but since we haven't done either, it doesn't matter. It means packing, moving and unpacking but the opportunity to try a full suite experience, such as offered by the Haven aboard NCL, is too hard to resist, especially with the "Free at Sea" promotion being offered. So we also put a deposit down on the Haven and will have till early next year to decide which to do. My bet is on the Haven :)

We will likely do both :teleport:. We booked a 9 night Canada/New England aboard the Anthem next year followed by the 5 night Bermuda cruise that the Anthem switches to. Looked at the Spa Junior Suite but it just doesn't provide a full "suite" experience. For the same price of a Spa JS for the 14 days, we could do the 9 night Anthem in a Ocean View stateroom with Balcony followed by a 7 night Florida & Bahamas Haven Spa Suite Balcony aboard the Breakaway. The Anthem arrives on a Sat at Port Liberty so we would stay a night in NY before boarding the Breakaway on Sun at Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

I would have rather cruised to Bermuda than the Bahamas but since we haven't done either, it doesn't matter. It means packing, moving and unpacking but the opportunity to try a full suite experience, such as offered by the Haven aboard NCL, is too hard to resist, especially with the "Free at Sea" promotion being offered. So we also put a deposit down on the Haven and will have till early next year to decide which to do. My bet is on the Haven :)
Wow all of those look great. Do you have a travel agent for ncl (or anyone else)? Unfortunately dream a unlimited doesn't book them and we would like an agent.

Hi Hundredacre ... we have a TA but we're up in Canada. It looks like you can easily book on-line with NCL ... but then you may miss out on any perks that a TA provides when booking. I hope we're not going to get spoiled by the "Haven" but as we have never experienced a "Sweet" Suite cabin before :p lol - might as well give it a go. But also looking forward to our 1st RCL AND Canada/New England cruise :)

Update
We chose NCL. Couldn't pass up the Haven opportunity. Know we would have been happy on either one. I appreciate the responses.

I called Costco who we'd book RCL to cancel. The wonderful lady said we could request NCL transfer our booking to Costco. Everything stays BUT we'd get a $590 Costco cash card after cruise completed. Can't beat that. I do realize once it transfers NCL won't talk specifics with me.

Thanks again and happy cruising to everyone

Can't speak for NCL (and I always have it in the back of my mind as an option). But we just returend from Allure a couple months ago and it's an amazing ship. Shows are fantastic, and lots to do. I wouldn't hesitate to book. Only downside is if you are looking for waterslides, they are not on Allure yet so if that's important, then you may want NCL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter