• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Re-shopping a cruise while on board- questions

coloradocutie

DIS Veteran
So I have booked one of the new 2019 itineraries... in 30 days we will be on board where we could do an on board booking, and get 10% off. How do I re-shop this if I already have a cruise booked in a room that we like? Can we still be in the original room? I would think that they would cancel the original booking (if the price difference is less than 10% ;) and it would be cheaper) and can they just put us back in the stateroom we originally booked but booked as an OBB? Thanks so much for anyone who has done this!

It is super simple if you did not use a TA. The Future Cruise person can do something to temporarily move your cabin and get you right back in the one you were in. If you used a TA,it can still be done - it will just mean you will temporarily have 2 reservations until the TA calls to cancel the first one and move the cabin to the new one.

Do be aware that you will 98% sure have to pay a second deposit and they will refund the first, even without having used a TA. One person on here has not had to pay a new one - but every time I have reshaped I have had to pay a new deposit.

Hi coloradocutie. We are on a cruise in 3 week and are going to attempt the same - reshopping. We did use a TA so it may be a toss up depending on how much the cost goes up between now and then and the OBC. We are not that attached to the room so keeping the same room is not an issue. However, we still want a veranda.

It is super simple if you did not use a TA. The Future Cruise person can do something to temporarily move your cabin and get you right back in the one you were in. If you used a TA,it can still be done - it will just mean you will temporarily have 2 reservations until the TA calls to cancel the first one and move the cabin to the new one.

Do be aware that you will 98% sure have to pay a second deposit and they will refund the first, even without having used a TA. One person on here has not had to pay a new one - but every time I have reshaped I have had to pay a new deposit.
It would seem that once you've determined that the OBB saves money, you could book the cheapest room available and then ask the TA to cancel the prior reservation and move the new one to the prior room. That way the second deposit would be less. Do you agree this would work?

You could do a $250 placeholder listing your TA. Then after your cruise, your TA can call and move the reservations around including your cabin if OBB is a better deal. This is probably the most cost effective, but you risk price increase until your TA can move things around.

Another thing to take into account is OBC. By booking on board you will get either $100 or $200 depending on the length of the cruise, regardless of what your TA may give you. But most TAs today will give you less OBC (about half) if you transfer a reservation or book onboard, instead of booking directly with them. So more math to take into account.

It would seem that once you've determined that the OBB saves money, you could book the cheapest room available and then ask the TA to cancel the prior reservation and move the new one to the prior room. That way the second deposit would be less. Do you agree this would work?

That seems far more complicated to me.

Thank you, everyone!

So it sounds like I can do the following:
I booked this week, and have 30 days from yesterday to transfer the booking to Costco,but won't be on the boat by then, so go ahead and do that transfer.
In 30 days, when I am onboard, i can put a deposit down on a new OBB, if the price is better (fingers crossed it is :)!)
List Costco as the TA on the OBB. I now have 2 deposits placed (thank you, Dug 720, for that reminder)
Come home and call Costco, have them cancel the original one and move my OBB into that stateroom. Get deposit #1 back.

Sound right? Missing anything?

I had to re-pay the deposit too, but what they also did was transfer the funds I had already paid from the original to the new reservation. In the end it was as if I had merely made a payment towards paying off the cruise, with the added benefit of it becoming cheaper.

I had to re-pay the deposit too, but what they also did was transfer the funds I had already paid from the original to the new reservation. In the end it was as if I had merely made a payment towards paying off the cruise, with the added benefit of it becoming cheaper.
love it!
thanks!

They did not transfer the funds on mine (could have changed since I did that a few years ago), but I simply turned around and put the money back on it as soon as the refund hit my account or gift card used to book before.

We booked the WBPC 2019 on opening day for platinum without OBB benefits. Couldn't reshop the cruise because it was sold out when we were onboard a few months later...lol!

Just to warn you, last year we cruised less than three weeks after booking on opening day, and the price had already increased too much to be worthwhile. We just booked a placeholder instead... hope you have better luck!

We booked the WBPC 2019 on opening day for platinum without OBB benefits. Couldn't reshop the cruise because it was sold out when we were onboard a few months later...lol!

yes, i could see that... one of the staterooms we were looking to reshop has already gone up more than 10%.... but by golly, I was ready ;)

I did this in November. I booked opening day, and then checked the prices a few days later when I showed up on Fantasy. The prices had gone up a little, but with the OBB was about 8% less than what we paid on opening day. The only issue was that the cast member on board could not move our old rooms into the new reservations. So we made a new set of reservations (with new deposits) and when we got back home called Disney and the cast member was able to cancel the old reservations and transfer the old rooms to the new reservations, and get our old deposits refunded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter