Reasonably Priced Hotel in DC Suburb Near Metro?

TinkOhio

DIS Veteran
My husband has assigned me the task of booking him a hotel around DC, and I have no idea what area is safe, not too pricey, and near the trains. He will be touring Gettysburg first, then visiting DC for a couple of days with our son. They plan on utilizing trains while visiting, but they will have a car. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know what your "pricey" is because it can mean different things to different people.

I CAN recommend Arlington area. I've stayed at Residence Inn and it was convenient to Metro.
We're going soon and staying in Alexandria and the hotel we're staying at is 2 blocks from the Metro.

With DC, it seems to be cheaper to stay on a weekend vs during the week, just in case you dates are flexible.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Alexandria Va 2 years ago. It was reasonable in price & breakfast is included. It is right across the street from the King St metro station. And the old town trolley stop is across the street also. It has a parking garage attached (sort of underground) but I don't remember the fee for that. I think we did have to change trains once on the way to D.C. But we have no experience with subways & we did fine. Also there was a restaurant owned by Joe Theisman (football QB & announcer) right next door that they might like. We are there twice for dinner & once for lunch during our stay. Good food & sports bar atmosphere.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Alexandria Va 2 years ago. It was reasonable in price & breakfast is included. It is right across the street from the King St metro station. And the old town trolley stop is across the street also. It has a parking garage attached (sort of underground) but I don't remember the fee for that. I think we did have to change trains once on the way to D.C. But we have no experience with subways & we did fine. Also there was a restaurant owned by Joe Theisman (football QB & announcer) right next door that they might like. We are there twice for dinner & once for lunch during our stay. Good food & sports bar atmosphere.

That is where we'll be staying on our upcoming trip! Glad to hear you liked it.

Last month we got a decent deal on Hyatt Place Arlington/Courthouse Plaza. Easy walk to the Metro stop. Across the street from a Five Guys, and just down the block from a Dunkin Donuts.

I just stayed at the embassy suites in chevy chase in july. Metro station underneath hotel. Best breakfast buffet I've had at a hotel in recent memory. Also 2 hour happy hour at the bar 530-730p with some free beer, wine, and limited liquor selection. Highly recommended.:thumbsup2

Reactions: mhf
DS10 and I just went to DC before school started. We actually stayed in DC at the Grand Hyatt. I was able to get a room Mon to Tues for $114 via the Chase UR portal. It was cheaper there then on the Hyatt website. There was a Starbucks at the hotel so we just grabbed that for breakfast. It was an easy walk to the museums and the Spy Museum was nearby. It rained on Tues so we ended up doing the Spy Museum that morning. There was a terrific woodfire pizza place not far from the hotel that we went to for dinner/HH. We would definitely stay there again. DS wanted to use the metro but it didn't make sense. I told him next time we'll go for the day and use the metro since we just live in northern MD (about 1 1/2-2 hours drive). (We are actually about 30 min away from Gettysburg not far from Hanover, PA.)

My husband has assigned me the task of booking him a hotel around DC, and I have no idea what area is safe, not too pricey, and near the trains. He will be touring Gettysburg first, then visiting DC for a couple of days with our son. They plan on utilizing trains while visiting, but they will have a car. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
We stayed at the Virginian in Arlington 3 blocks to metro had separate bedroom and kitchen.

Anything near Reagan Airport (DCA) is pretty good bet. As are all of the hotel along the Orange line in Rosslyn, Courthouse, Ballston, Virginia Square.

This past June, we stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites in Crystal City. Only a 2 block walk to the Metro and breakfast included. We flew into Reagan Int Airport and did not have a car, so I don't know about the parking situation. Standard hotel room with a fridge and microwave.

We stayed here several years ago, and we also liked it a lot. We ate at Theismans as well, and it was a great dinner.

Check out the hotels in Downtown Silver Spring Maryland. It's in waking distance to the metro and has lots of shopping and dining.

Coming from Gettysburg, I would recommend hotels in Silver Spring, MD instead of driving around to the VA side.
Weekends are cheaper, and great discounts can be found on sites like Travelzoo, etc. We did the Residence Inn Arlington Capitol View for $99 a night with breakfast, but would not recommend that hotel again for a DC trip due to the amount of time it took to get downtown via Metro.

Hotels in the DC area will be cheaper Friday till Sunday, because a lot of the politicians and dignitaries leave for the weekends.

Have you considered a rental such as on VRBO or homeaway? I had started looking into that for a possible DC trip with my family. You get the comforts of a house without the craziness of a hotel and it can be less expensive than a hotel. I believe that the Alexandria area is right on the metro line and is a short ride right into dc. I don't think driving into DC is what i would be doing. You could probably find a house/townhouse within walking distance of the metro.

Be very careful on location with VRBO or similar type situations. They'll often say "close to metro" and it may mean a mile or so. Or give reference to a certain area of the city that has desirable and undesirable areas. Get as much info as you can on location (closest cross streets and how close they are to the rental) the post someplace like here or Trip Advisor to see if it's a "good area". For example, some areas of Alexandria ARE close to Metro but many are not. So a rental in Alexandria may or may not be desirable if you want proximity to Metro. At least with hotels, you have a exact street address to look at and research....

Be very careful on location with VRBO or similar type situations. They'll often say "close to metro" and it may mean a mile or so. Or give reference to a certain area of the city that has desirable and undesirable areas. Get as much info as you can on location (closest cross streets and how close they are to the rental) the post someplace like here or Trip Advisor to see if it's a "good area". For example, some areas of Alexandria ARE close to Metro but many are not. So a rental in Alexandria may or may not be desirable if you want proximity to Metro. At least with hotels, you have a exact street address to look at and research....
Trip advisor is a GREAT help with this, on the DC forums. I found a great VRBO 2 blocks from Eastern Market metro for a mom/dtr DC Senior trip. We went over spring break a couple years ago and was much cheaper than a hotel at that time.

If you are coming from Gettysburg I suggest the Comfort Inn in Gaithersburg, Md. Its minutes from the Shady Grove metro station. From Gettysburg its not too far of a drive down 15 South to 270 - the hotel is off 270. Very easy. We live in Hershey and when we go to DC this is were we stay.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Rosslyn at Key Bridge in Arlington last month. It was about 5 minutes to the Metro station and the room was huge and very nice. They also have free parking and free wi-fi. I felt the price was reasonable for the area. Honestly, we used Uber for most of our trips at we felt the price was comparable to the time and money we would have spent on the Metro. Hope this helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter