recommendations for a Tennessee hotel-I75/Rest Areas

from Canada

Mouseketeer
Hi all, when we drive down for the first time this Feb., we're hoping to make it from Barrie to southern TN. for the first leg of the journey. (I've been studying Dave Hunters book, thanks to tips from the boards). Can anyone recommend a roomy hotel in southern TN. There are 6 of us. 3 adults and 3 kids. Im thinking that for 1 night, one or 2 kids can camp on the floor, we'll bring a foam mattress. But, if there were a suite type hotel or one with a pull out sofa, that would be even better.
Also, what are some of the "better" rest areas you've stopped at on the way down? I don't imagine it'll be warm enough the first day to stop at one, so I guess the rest areas Im interested in would be in Georgia, or Florida.
Thanks
Karen

Hi
In regards to rest areas, I think we have probably stopped at most of them and they are pretty much all the same, nothing too exciting.
The only exception would be the first rest stop inside the Florida border about 1 mile. There they have travel/tourist info for all areas of Florida. A good spot to pick that stuff up. They also hand out free sample cups of Orange Juice and Grapefruit Juice-small dixie cup sizes. We always stop there.
Do you belong to the CAA, if you do get a travel book for Tennessee and see what you can find. I know we have stayed at a place in Sweetwater TN, that had suite type rooms, livingroom with pullout sofa, bath and bedroom. I can't recall the name of the place right now though. I could look it up if I can find my TN tour book.
Have a good trip. Personally I love the drive down, cause everytime you get out of the car for a stop the weather is usually just a bit warmer.
:sunny:

We're from Collingwood, close to you and we have never made it to Tenn the first night! Good luck to you!

We always take a camp rest for someone to sleep on. They actually prefer this to sharing a bed. They also fold up really small to repack.

We have had luck getting units with a pullout couch too.

I use Dave's book. Everything you need to know is there. Look at the exits you think you may make it to and check the hotel websites to see what they can offer you for a larger room.

Rebecca

We do belong to CAA, Thats a great idea,I only thought about useing them for a trip-tik.
Does anyone else have any tips/suggestions?
Rebecca, what is a camp rest? and where would I get one? Also, where do you usually get to the first night? Maybe Im being too ambitious tring to get that far. We were planning to leave at about 3:30-4am and drive for about 14 hours.
Thanks
Karen

hello im from wasaga beach and am leaving early friday morning ,freinds of ours from barrie travel there every winter and he says they stay in chattanooga every time , so thats how i have planned my trip, i was curious as well as i havent driven down since i was a small boy with my family, now its time to take my kids to fort myers. for a couple of weeks then off to disney for a few days . hope this helps and have a great trip in feb.
fred

:wave2: fredIII and welcome to the DISboards

from Canada - We are from Chatham, the half way point from Chatham to Kissimmee is Sweetwater TN. We very often get to just north of Atlanta on the first day, leaving early and making very short rest stops along the way. It is those stops that really take the time away. Stay away from sit down restaurants, those take at least an hour of time if not more.

So I would think it would be quite possible for you to get to TN on the first day, if you keep the stops short and to a minimum (we stop about 10 minutes every 2-4 hrs, with maybe 1/2 hr lunch stop).

Where do you plan on crossing the border?

hi again:

We only drive about 10 1/2 hours which is Lexington, Ky from Collingwood. Sometimes we go a little further, but then you get into the mountain region and the driving can be foggy so we never take the chance.

You can purchase camp rest's at camping good stores like Mountain co-op. It's a small mattress that fits into a bag the size of a sleeping bag and it self inflates. Doesn't take much room and is very handy even for sleeping on a pull-out couch ( you know that bar).

We never plan on more that 10-11 hours in the car. The next day we drive about the same again and then roll into Orlando by noon the 3rd day. We often do a small "treat" trip along the way like The Underground Lake or anything else in the Hunter Book. We did the ice-cream tour once for the kids and a few others over the years.

We always eat at Cracker Barrel and let the kids get the 10 cent sucker sticks. Two of those buys about an hour of silence!

Anything else I can help you with let me know.

Rebecca

Thanks everyone
Rebecca,- I am definately going to check out those camp rests. When we get to HIFS, my MIL will be staying on the pullout sofa, and I was a bit worried about her comfort on there, so the camp rest can serve a dual purpose. Another of my friends recommended Cracker Barrel, so we'll give that a try.
Im planning to pack Breakfast and lunch for the 1st day, and either a quick dinner stop, kor eat after we find a hotel. For the 2nd day, Im hoping that we find a hotel with a continental breakfast. Then I'd like to find a Subway or similar, grab the food to go, then stop at a rest area for 30 min or so. Then we'll have dinner in Orlando. (Sounds quicker when your typing it than Im sure driving it will be!! LOL)
Cruisin'Kroezes- We are planning to cross at Windsor. We were planning to leave Barrie at 4am, and get to Windsor at 9- and hopefully rush hour will be over? Where do you recommend crossing?
FredIII- I'd love to hear how your trip goes. Will you be posting about it when you return? Have a GREAT trip!!
Im getting excited and I love all this planning stuff!!!!
Karen

Hi Karen:

You should get to the border at 9 am. We cross at Windsor and then follow Dave's instructions to get on the I-75.

Your timing sounds good. I guess we have done the trip so many times our enthusiam for getting on the road at 4 am is gone. Somehow getting on the road by 6-7 am makes you feel like you've had a full night's sleep and your not so tired the second day.

I hope you have a safe trip .Rebecca

fromCanada

Windsor is where I would cross but I didn't know if you would go that way or thru Niagara Falls or ???, I was just wondering, haven't really looked at the map.

You should probably be all right by 9 and that timing sounds right if you leave Barrie at around 4.

It is not too hard to find the I-75, although you will probably think you are going the wrong way, cause you go thru some residential type area first. Just follow the signs and you will be fine.

We have a joke in our house -- how to get to Florida----drive to Detroit and turn left!!!!! Once you get on the I-75 you don't even have to think about it again till you hit Florida.

Have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter