Recommendations? Opinions? Suggestions?

mjy

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Next year is a really special year for me and I am celebrating in style -- I have booked a reservation on the Disney Cruise Line's repositioning cruise from LA through the Panama Canal back to Port Canaveral.

I am taking three weeks for this vacation. The cruise is 15 days. I was wondering what Disneyland is like. (I was out there many moons ago and don't remember much about it.)

Do you think it would be worth spending some of my DVC points on a stay at one of the hotels at Disneyland pre-cruise or do you think it would be better to veg a little post-cruise at Disneyworld?

Has anyone stayed at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel? Would that be a nice pre-cruise place? Or would you suggest an additional 5 day cruise on the Magic that week (it will go to Castaway Cay twice, I believe, that week.)

So many possibilities, so little decision! What are your suggestions for pre vs post cruise places? :confused3

Mike

GCH is very nice. Similar in look to the WL, but not as rustic (called Craftsman style vs 1900 National Parks look). There is a direct gate into Cal Adv from GCH. Storytellers Cafe is a nice buffet/menu restaurant and has a character meal.

DLR is a fun place. We did both parks in about 4 days. DL is small, but very compact, so it really has more than MK. Fantasmic at DL is so much better than Fantasmic at WDW, but there is no arena so you have to find a spot to watch the show and people start camping out for it about 5PM or earlier. The Aladdin Show at Cal Adv is wonderful - I wish they would bring that one to WDW.

Before or After would have to be your choice. I'd do whatever could fit into your schedule. But the extra 5 day Magic cruise would also be nice.

Three weeks, how lucky for you!! Have a great trip.

Yes! It is worth it - since DVC reduced the number of points it takes for the DL resorts, it's not a bad use of DVC points at all (IMHO).

We stayed there for 2 nights before a cruise las year. Hadn't been to DL in more than 30 years. Loved it! Kind of like living in the twilight zone - things were close enough to the MK to make you forget you weren't really there and then wham! something would be different and you'd get a little confused, LOL.

Loved the DL version of Pirates, and the Indiana Jones ride and the Monsters, Inc thing was cute (neither of those are present in WDW). There were a few other attractions unique to DL. Didn't have time to do everything - sorry to have missed Fantasmic!, but we really only had 1 full park day that trip. Hope to go back sometime soon.

We stayed at the DLH - always wanted to stay at the original. Got upgraded and a big welcome home at check in (CM was a former WDW CM and knew lots about DVC). Too cold to swim while we were there, but the pool look liked lots of fun. Rooms were nice and staff and service very good.

Thanks for the replies thus far. Please keep 'em coming. I know about as much about Disneyland and all it has to offer as I do about brain surgery. :eek:

There is a DL board on the DIS where you can find out a lot. Plus Birnbaum has a DL book, just like the WDW books. We did DL twice last summer (and these were my first trips there ever) and I loved it. I'd love for them to open a DVC there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter