recovering from back surgery

betsytravel

Earning My Ears
My spouse is recovering from back surgery from a herniated disc. I assume he will want a wheel chair to rest during the day although some slow, careful walking is very good for him. I also assume he should simply avoid (wheel away rapidly from) rides labeled as problems for backs.

Does anyone know the best activities for him that are "back friendly"? I am thinking the guided tour of Animal Kingdom would be one. Others?

Any other suggestions? To simplify things, just consider him like someone with a herniated disc.

Thanks,

Welcome to both DisBoards and disABILITIES

I think you should consider an ECV more than a WC. One thing is that ECVs have rubber tires and a padded seat while WCs only have a thin rubber rim and a sling seat.

Up near the top of disABILITES is a FAQ that ives information about bothm as well as links to the "Guidebooks For Guests With Disabiities".

I am fairly certain that he would NOT want the Safari, as the roads are intentionally rough and there is a lot of jerking around of the vehicle.

Also, an ECV gives more of a sense of "freedom" anda wheelchair can be very tiring because there ARE hills at WDW.

Cheshire Figment said:
I think you should consider an ECV more than a WC. One thing is that ECVs have rubber tires and a padded seat while WCs only have a thin rubber rim and a sling seat.

I am fairly certain that he would NOT want the Safari, as the roads are intentionally rough and there is a lot of jerking around of the vehicle.

Thanks so much. I told him I was working on identifying what activities were best suited to his recovering condition. He was greatly relieved as he had not wanted to be a wet blanket but was so concerned about going to WDW.

In fact I chose WDW BECAUSE they are so disability/limitation friendly. I figure all I have to do if figure out the best activities to do, but that WDW will have them.

I agree with Cheshire Figment about the ecvs. If your DH wants to do some walking, he can use the ecv to get to a general area (like Fantasyland) and then walk around from ride to ride. If you remove the key from the ecv, no one else will be able to drive it away.
There are warning icons on the park maps and on signs outside the rides so he won't have to worry about getting one one of "those" rides by mistake.
Also, if you go to the disABILITIES FAQs near the top of the board, you will find a link to the official Disney website. From there, you can look at or print out a copy of the WDW Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities for each park. They are not real detailed, but do have some basic info about how rough different rides are.

On my first trip to WDW after my laminectomy.........I learned ALOT! One of the things is that standing in line for any length of time caused my back to sort of "lock up" and become VERY stiff.

After the second surgery (spinal fusion) I learned that I needed to stay off the obvious rides (such as roller coasters), but that there were still a few surprises for me! One of my daughter's favs is the autopia (those little cars on the track). They are actually very rough riding (no shock absorbers!). And I learned that any of the shows that have stadium bench-type seating don't have any back support and will just kill ya!

The best thing is to take a mid-day break......go back to the hotel and let him lie down (takes the stress off the spine for a while).

Thanks for the specific information. He will use a EVC when he gets tired of walking and as you know, he should stand or lie down, more than sit.
A midday break is an excellent idea.

We're staying on Disney property so it won't be that difficult to go there and back. Also, I wondered if stretching out on a park bench for even as short a time as five minutes would be a "break".

I had surgery to remove a tumor from my spine in June of 1998, and spent the next two trips in a wheelchair. I used a wheelchair as my husband had no problem pushing me, and could keep better track of me that way...I tend to be like a wandering two year old on him in malls and WDW!

Anyhow, as far as the rides I enjoyed with no problems:

Peter Pan's Flight
Tomorrowland Transit Authority
Haunted Mansion
Pirates
Jungle Cruise
It wasn't open then, but Buzz Lightyear would be fine as well

Pretty much everything at Epcot except I wouldn't do Test Track and Mission Space. I did the Maelstrom, which was fine

Great Movie Ride was about the only actual ride at MGM that was OK, but all teh shows were fine.

I would avoid the safari, and pretty much all the *rides* in the AK.

All the shows are fine.

Anne

Aren't there cots at the first aid stations that would be more comfortable (and a bit more private) to lie down on?

Schmeck said:
Aren't there cots at the first aid stations that would be more comfortable (and a bit more private) to lie down on?
::yes::
Much better suggestion. The benches are very hard. First Aid has nice cots in private cubicles (curtains to close you off from the others). First Aid is quiet, air conditioned and comfortable. The staff are very nice and are used to people who need to rest for a while coming in to do that.
There is a First Aid station in each park - marked on the map.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter