Refund for one person in cruise party 2022? (tickets bought before COVID) HELP!

bravetummy

Earning My Ears
Forewarning, I am new at all of this. So, my partner and their parent and I bought tickets for a Disney cruise in December of 2019, and were set to sail in May of 2020. That obviously did not happen. I would personally like my $1,000 back, but that is apparently impossible.

After my partner's parent was on the phone with the cruise line for maybe 5 hours, this is what I have been told they learned:
  • Since I am a member of the party, I apparently am not able to get my sole ticket that I paid for back in 2019 refunded anymore if I choose to not go.
  • We would have a new sailing date of July 2022 for a 9-night cruise outside of the US. Rates have apparently gone up, and I will need to pay extra $ to even go.
  • The only way anyone gets a refund is if everyone cancels, and the deposit placed will be lost.
  • If I do not go, there are other fees that must now be usurped by the other party members.
Does any of this seem correct or right or even legal? Or did I receive misinformation? It does not feel right. I almost want to call the cruise line myself and ask these questions but I am afraid they will notify my partner's parent of my call-- is that a thing? I may just be anxious. Please help!

Cruises don't have tickets. They have fares. But yes that's pretty standard stuff you've quoted above and def not illegal, imo. (As much as you find it frustrating) You had a cruise booked for a certain amount of people which was cancelled during covid? Was it was turned into a future cruise credit? There is no way to divide that cruise credit up which is why they can't just refund your portion. And, every single year cruise fares increase...so yes you would have to make up the difference of the price of the 2022 cruise.

I assume the parent was the lead name on the reservation. Therefore that person "owns" the reservation. Presumably when the 2020 cruise was canceled, they opted for an FCC (future cruise credit) which gives +25% towards a future cruise. The time to use up that credit is coming. However, the credits are passenger-specific, so if your fare was $1000, they cannot spend that value on a cruise in July (or anytime) unless you also go. What I'm not sure about anymore is the rules around cancelling a person off the FCC but using the rest of the FCC. Your fare is either refundable or lost -- nobody else can use the amount allotted to you.

As to your other questions -- yes, fares increase and DCL is under no obligation to provide you with a cruise for the exact fare you paid for the 2020 cruise. Taxes and fees are based on the itinerary as well as date, so it's possible those have increased as well. But again, nobody else can use the FCC that was allotted to you as a passenger on the original reservation.

Good luck!

Yes all they have said is true-

What is not being touched on is that a 9 night cruise in July is one of the higher priced cruises. It might have been the most similar into what they canceled itinerary wise but there were option for other cruises (shorter) that would have kept it close fare wise so you would not be on the hook for extra funds. The extra cost should have been discussed with the entire party before rebooking IMO.

Cruises don't have tickets. They have fares. But yes that's pretty standard stuff you've quoted above and def not illegal, imo. (As much as you find it frustrating) You had a cruise booked for a certain amount of people which was cancelled during covid? Was it was turned into a future cruise credit? There is no way to divide that cruise credit up which is why they can't just refund your portion. And, every single year cruise fares increase...so yes you would have to make up the difference of the price of the 2022 cruise.
That's WILD to me... Thank you for the information and that was very helpful. I was feeling like I was being punk'd.

I assume the parent was the lead name on the reservation. Therefore that person "owns" the reservation. Presumably when the 2020 cruise was canceled, they opted for an FCC (future cruise credit) which gives +25% towards a future cruise. The time to use up that credit is coming. However, the credits are passenger-specific, so if your fare was $1000, they cannot spend that value on a cruise in July (or anytime) unless you also go. What I'm not sure about anymore is the rules around cancelling a person off the FCC but using the rest of the FCC. Your fare is either refundable or lost -- nobody else can use the amount allotted to you.

As to your other questions -- yes, fares increase and DCL is under no obligation to provide you with a cruise for the exact fare you paid for the 2020 cruise. Taxes and fees are based on the itinerary as well as date, so it's possible those have increased as well. But again, nobody else can use the FCC that was allotted to you as a passenger on the original reservation.

Good luck!
Oof... thank you for the information. I am very new at anything related to Disney or cruises. It's just a frustrating situation and the three of us passengers aren't thrilled. Thank you again for that info.

Yes all they have said is true-

What is not being touched on is that a 9 night cruise in July is one of the higher priced cruises. It might have been the most similar into what they canceled itinerary wise but there were option for other cruises (shorter) that would have kept it close fare wise so you would not be on the hook for extra funds. The extra cost should have been discussed with the entire party before rebooking IMO.
Yeah, I wasn't there at the time and after they (parent) were on the phone 5+ hours. I wasn't going to try and discuss my indignation further with them... What I believe happened is that they DID do what they could to get the most similar deal. It was a more expensive trip in the first place.... ugh. They (parent) are also chipping in a bit extra for both me and my partner, which is very nice and appreciated.

I appreciate your help very much, thank you. I was panicked and suspicious.

Oof... thank you for the information. I am very new at anything related to Disney or cruises. It's just a frustrating situation and the three of us passengers aren't thrilled. Thank you again for that info.
I would think the 3 of you could come to an agreement about these funds, so it doesn't become a thorn in the relationship. I don't believe it's too late to cancel for a full refund of the fares originally paid; there would be no "extra" like the +25%. If the other 2 really want to cruise, they can rebook just the 2 of them with their refund and everyone is "whole."

Yeah, I wasn't there at the time and after they (parent) were on the phone 5+ hours. I wasn't going to try and discuss my indignation further with them... What I believe happened is that they DID do what they could to get the most similar deal. It was a more expensive trip in the first place.... ugh. They (parent) are also chipping in a bit extra for both me and my partner, which is very nice and appreciated.

I appreciate your help very much, thank you. I was panicked and suspicious.
Are you able to go on the cruise? I just wanted to say the Southern Caribbean cruise is SO good! My last cruise was the 11 Night Southern in 2019 and it was amazing. (It was my 6th Disney cruise)

Do you have a concierge room? Those are the only ones that can't get deposits back for July cruises.

For regular rooms, I thought that currently you can get the deposit back if it's at least 60 days before the cruise (and 30 days for some cruises). This is a post Covid benefit, as previously it was 90-120 days out that you would start paying penalties like losing the deposit. You should be able to use your own future cruise credit (FCC) on any DCL cruise through 9/22. So if you prefer to do a shorter US cruise, you should be able to. But if you're all on the same reservation number/room...not sure how that can be done to keep some on the original reservation and drop some. It would have been easier if the group had gone with a travel agent so you could email them vs having to call DCL with the current hold times.

Also if the room you are in goes from 2 people down to 1, person 1 is paying the cost of 2 people as rooms are double occupancy, but the taxes/fees of only 1 person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter