"Refund" of Points - over disputed BLT room views

jcf

DIS Veteran
Has anyone managed to get DVC to return points over disputed BLT room views...

After a recent stay, I can't be the only one who thinks the "theme park view" encompassing the south side is simply a "parking lot/contemp/monorail view" and some of the "lake view" rooms on the inside of the U-shape is basically a view of the "courtyard/pool".

Honestly, how did they come up with/designate the rooms in such a U-shape building into only 3 categories:confused3

You could easily have 2 additinal view categories-contempo/monorail and courtyard/pool :)

It really seems like an obvious "point grab" with the broad theme park view :surfweb:

As of 1/1/2013, they have moved some Theme Park View rooms into the Standard View category. Not sure how many or where they are located.

After a recent stay, I can't be the only one who thinks the "theme park view" encompassing the south side is simply a "parking lot/contemp/monorail view" and some of the "lake view" rooms on the inside of the U-shape is basically a view of the "courtyard/pool".

Honestly, how did they come up with/designate the rooms in such a U-shape building into only 3 categories:confused3

You could easily have 2 additinal view categories-contempo/monorail and courtyard/pool :)

It really seems like an obvious "point grab" with the broad theme park view :surfweb:

Do you want all of your points refunded or just the amount you think you 'over paid?'

If I understand your post, you did stay at the resort but you are disappointed.

It does sound like DVC gave you what they promised you. They gave you a reservation at the resort you requested in the category that you requested. (Whether that exact room should be in that category is your actual issue) I don't know if that is something members can contest. I know that when I make a reservation at AKL I take a chance of not seeing many animals. But do I think they should reimburse my points?; probably not.

I think if the room view is open to interpretation it definitely shouldn't be put in the top point category. Clearly, the southern part of the building (farthest away from Contempo is the legit theme park view.

It's Disney, not just the DVC who exaggerates on the view categories.

At WL in a cash room several years ago we were visited in our room by management types who were re-classifying the room views. They asked to check out the view from our patio. I heard one of them telling the other, If you can see water through the trees, it's a lake view", the room was inside the "U" across from other rooms and you had to be on the balcony looking far right to see any hint of water.

At Kidani, just after it opened we were staying in a savanna view room with a view of the area behind the pool. The corner of the savanna was to the far right if you were on the balcony. I went down to the front desk and explained that we must be in a wrong room. I was told that our room was a savanna view and if we wanted to change rooms there would be a fee. They moved us to a true savanna view room and the CM mentioned that they knew that we would be moving because no one thinks that those are savanna view rooms. He said that it was the DVC's fault for the incorrect classification.

I contacted DVC management, that night we were sent an assortment of zebra domes and other deserts from the management. The resort manager stopped by our room the next day, told us that the move fee was removed from our bill. I explained our situation and offered to show her our old room, which we did. After seeing the room she stated that she was going to work with her DVC partners to see if the room categories could be changed.

It's my understanding that they did remove several rooms in that area from the savanna view category.

:earsboy: Bill

...and now, room view categories exist in the Aluani contract..so at Aluani, they can say,legally, per your signed contract your room classification is correct.

To me this is the way timeshare work. I view the view categories as a rough approximation, not a view guarantee. Maybe it's my extensive timeshare experience of how this works for most of the timesharing world. As an example, lets say a view and building are ocean front but the foliage grows up and now the view is gone or you can't see out the window due to the foliage (BVW), happens commonly with such resorts. IMO, the ONLY issue was whether you were in a room that was reclassified, not whether you think the view met the requirements. If (and only if) you were in a reclassified room, I think you can make the case for a refund of the difference. That's not to say if you make enough stink DVC won't do it anyway but they shouldn't in other situations.

Maybe they should just do all the resorts like OKW. The two booking categories there are the same amount of points. So, in the event that you aren't happy with your location, there is no actual point differential to quibble over.

I also remember when the tower rooms in the main Contemporary building were all the same price, and "MK View" was just a request. Sometimes we just have to accept that the world isn't perfect.

I also checked in at 8:00pm...I wonder if that matters on "requests"...

Sorry, I hit edit instead of quote. This post has been restored to it's original content. - Chuck S

I also checked in at 8:00pm...I wonder if that matters on "requests"...

Well, Theme Park view really isn't a request, it is a bookable room category. Your late check-in could have affected other requests, like "Near elevator" or something, but you still should be placed in the bookable room category.

jcf said:

I have to agree that some of those theme park view rooms are not the best and not worth the points...but, if you could see a piece of the theme park from your balcony, then technically you were given the correct room.. Unfortunately, view is a matter of judgement and for whatever reason, some of those BLT rooms just simply don't seem to match, especially when there are some, in the same category, that are great. We stayed in a SV room at BLT on the 2nd floor that faced right out to the parking lot and had a great view of the theme park. One of the reasons why I will always book that view and take my chances. If what I get isn't that great, at least I won't be bothered since I am in the least expensive room.

While I can understand your frustration, I don't believe that points should be refunded when someone gets the room that they reserved.

I have a Theme Park View studio booked in Sept. If I get a XX28 room and I don't feel it's truly a theme park view, I do plan on taking a picture of the view and sending it to Member Satisfaction. I don't expect a refund of points but I do want them to have the feedback. Hey they changed some of the standard view rooms based on member feedback maybe this could be a future change? I don't consider hanging off the side of the balcony to see the theme park a theme park view.

While enjoy the car alarms and delivery - beep beep beep backing up noises if you're on the north side closest to Contempo...I think I will stick to Lake View unless they re-classify the views...I would love south side theme park view but won't chance it...

While enjoy the car alarms and delivery - beep beep beep backing up noises if you're on the north side closest to Contempo...I think I will stick to Lake View unless they re-classify the views...I would love south side theme park view but won't chance it...

I have to agree that we have had some really nice LV. I'm almost tempted to book LV from now on as we have had some of the nice rooms and saved points that way.

I always book LK view because I like the view and peace of the lake. :cloud9: To my surprise when we checked into the GV for 6 ni over NYE this year we had more of a MK view then LK view (best of both worlds!) :worship: I would have sworn that we were upgraded to MK view until I read a post on the boards about room location and views and realized we were in a LK view room! There were 9 of us and we all were very excited to have that view for NYE - the downside was that it was a HA room - but then again it was the GV! I am not sure how they decide the cat. but I have to say we got lucky!

This stay came after 4 nights in THV with golf balls flying at us while sitting having lunch on our deck :scared1: so a pleasant change of pace! :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter