Regarding letters to teachers

smarro

Earning My Ears
I was reading the posts about letters to teachers. I wrote this one to send to my daughter's teacher Monday. I had mentioned the trip to her before, and it does not seem as though we will have a problem. I thought I would send this one though (opinions welcome) and thought I would share it with some of the other parents who may have concerns about taking their children out of school.

Dear Mrs. XXXXX,

I just wanted to take a moment to remind you that we will be taking a family trip to
Disneyworld and Seaworld during the first week of March. I am sure Ann will enjoy the
trip and have many educational adventures. She seems particularly interested in animals,
science, and world cultures this year and really enjoys studying these subjects at school.
Along with all the fun and family time on our vacation, we are looking forward to
exploring all the wonderful educational opportunities Disneyworld and Seaworld will
present. However, we also recognize that Ann will be missing some class time during
this period and would like to work with you to do all we can ensure that her education
does not suffer.

Over Christmas vacation, we plan to work with Ann to reinforce some of the skills she has
already learned, particularly math and handwriting. If there are any other areas you feel we
should be reviewing or any practice sheets you would like her to work on, please feel free
to send additional work home or let me know. I was also wondering if there were any
special projects you would like Ann to do while she will be on the trip such as a journal
or diary. I thought she might be able to begin organizing that a little bit over vacation
(possibly make a cover, etc.). After the Holiday break, I will call the school’s office and
begin making the necessary formal arrangements (if any) necessary.

We are very pleased with Ann's progress this year. She really seems to be enjoying
school very much. We are particularly glad to see that she enjoys reading so much and
needs no encouragement to read independently. I am sure her love of reading will serve
her well during her academic career.

We wish you and yours a very happy holiday season. Please feel free to let us know if you
have any suggestions or concerns regarding the time Ann will absent from the
classroom.

Sincerely,

Oops. Sorry the formatting for the letter didn't stay when I copied and pasted. You get the idea though.

Thanks. The teacher called me back this morning. She said there is no problem at all and that she will ask my daughter to keep a journal and send home some work but not an overwhelming amount. We are driving, so she will have something to do in the car. The teaher actually sounded excited for my daughter. She forwarded the letter to the office who will send home the information I need when it gets closer. I have to admit that we have a really great school district here.

Your letter is very good. I'm a Kindergarten teacher. I can tell by your many references to educational opportunities in Orlando, that you are feeling guilt about taking your daughter out of school. Walt Disney World is all about education. I'm 48, and I learn something nearly every hour I'm there! If your teacher has been to Orlando herself, she will recognize the learning experiences that await your daughter. Have a wonderful, guilt-free trip.
I think you are recognizing there will be work to do during the trip, or things to catch up on when you return. I have had as many as 5 children take cruises and trips to WDW during the Kindergarten School year. I love to make little packets with maybe one Math or Reading Readiness worksheet for each day of the trip. These would take maybe 5-10 minutes a day. I use a big ziplock bag and include crayons, scissors, and glue stick.
I am always so excited for my students, because I know they will learn so much and see things they've never even thought about before. I think a teacher's main gripe is the extra time it takes to get that student caught up, or the extra time it takes to write up lists of pages and study sheets for older children. Your letter showed your concern for your child's education, so your teacher understands that you are a concerned parent.
Now, could someone just explain to me how to write a letter to the principal. Because the teachers want to go too! Ha Ha
Have a great time!:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter