Rental Car Help!

lruggiero

Mouseketeer
Has anyone rented a car after the cruise? We are looking to get a car after our 7 day to take to Universal. Who should I use? Will they pick me up at the port so I can go and get the car?

Thanks for the help

Lori

We always rent a car from Avis to go from MCO to port, and then another one on the return. The Avis office at Cape Canaveral is by the Radisson hotel, which is about 2 miles from the port. Both Avis and Radisson provide shuttles.

Here is what we found out from our 5/10 Western. They have setup a tent in the short-term parking lot for all rental car agency and hotel shuttle buses. After Customs, you have three choices:

1. You can drag everyone and everything across the street to the tent (about 5 minute walk under the hot sun), then all try to jump on the shuttle bus to get to the rental car. (Not Recommended.)

2. You can drag everyone and everything across the street to the tent, then send one person to pick up the rental car and come back to fetch everyone/everything. (What most did.)

3. You can leave everything by the terminal and send one person to the tent to catch the shuttle. He/she will pick up the rental car and come back to fetch everyone/everything. (What we did. But, please beware that he/she will need a picture ID and his/her KTTW card to get back into the terminal area.

With regard to your question on who, you should check out this page on Dave's dcltribute site. When I checked rates for our trip, Avis was the lowest by far.

Good Luck! :)

MFAN-

Thanks for the help.

I definitely already planned on having my husband skip breakfast on departure morning and going through customs alone and getting the car. Do you know if we can do this or do we all have to clear customs as a family?

In my opinion, the last morning breakfast was definitely worth missing for all of us but I have a 4 year old that barely stayed still waiting for the bus last year so I just figured it would work better this way.

Just a note to anyone listening. My bus experience was a complete nightmare. We sat outside and waited 65 minutes for a bus to take us back to the resorts. Just an FYI....get a car

That's a good idea if you only have one or two child(ren). I think it took me about 45 minutes to pick up the rental car. Half of that time was spent waiting at a draw bridge between the port and the highway. I was unfortunate enough to hit the beginning of the closure both ways.

I'm pretty sure you can go thru Customs separately. But, be sure to have separate Custom Declaration forms. You'll each need it to get past.

Again, make sure he has his KTTW card and a picture ID. Otherwise, the security will not let him drive up to the terminal.

Why you going to Universal?
You can rent from Avis, budget or National
But than go to WDW.

We have done WDW more times than can be mentioned and a few months back when we were there, my 4 year old son kept asking to go home. Quite the vacation. Also, we are taking my 14 and 16 year old neices with us and they say that they are "too old" for Disney but I told them "your never too old" but I think the real reason is that the last time we were there together 2 years ago, their mom (my sister) was with us and she has since passed from cancer and I just think that it will be too painful for the girls. It was painful for me when I went back after she passed.

Since you asked, that's the answer. I am not someone who doesn't enjoy Disney, if I didn't, I wouldn't give them so much of my money every year.

Good morning Lori. A Universal recommendation, although it may be cost prohibitive. They offer a VIP tour for $120/person. The tours last about 4 to 5 hours. You are placed in groups of 11 or 12. Each group is given a guide. Not only do the guides offer insightful information about the park, they assure no waiting at any ride or attraction AND you receive the optimum seats for each ride and attraction. The morning tours start too early for same-day post-cruise arrivals. However the later tours (noon?) should prove doable. Anyway. Just a suggestion...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter