rental concerns

DVC does allow for a lottery for rooms - so there is a provision for something other than first come first served. I REALLY doubt they'd put it in (they used it for New Year's 2000 if I remember). I don't think that the way they run the lottery is spelled out in the contract - but it would change things a lot if everyone who wanted SV rooms over F&W had to put in their request twelve months out with "winners" being booked at eleven months.
For those who may not know, it's called the "Special Seasons Preference List".

IMO, it's very unlikely to ever be implemented again, especially if it's just for a few booking categories during a few times of the year. It's labor intensive. Those who are interested can see details on page 10 of the Home Resort Rules and Regulations.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...4QFnoECBQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1VhLRPV4lC4L72fxzZTvVxfxzZTvVx

DVC does allow for a lottery for rooms - so there is a provision for something other than first come first served. I REALLY doubt they'd put it in (they used it for New Year's 2000 if I remember). I don't think that the way they run the lottery is spelled out in the contract - but it would change things a lot if everyone who wanted SV rooms over F&W had to put in their request twelve months out with "winners" being booked at eleven months.

I did forget about that. Good point. But it’s mentioned that it can be used for special high demand times and resorts.

So, they can’t simply make all bookings every day a special list simply for a specific rooms.

In the cases shared here where someone held multiple AKV value rooms for a random day, the preference list wouldn’t really make sense

Like you said, something like NYE would be an example of using it.

The other piece of this list is that it doesn’t follow the same 4 month home resort priority. It is only one month advantage.

Last edited:
Wait, so are you suggesting that DVC guides are using “if you can’t go, rent your points” as a sales pitch? Mine always just suggested to bank my points. 🤔
Resale brokers do this but not disney guides in my experience. Of course the resale brokers also want to make a profit off of your rental too.

Obviously it is only a matter of time before Disney addresses this issue. There is a prohibition against commercial renting in their legal docs. They have not defined commercial renting. But technically that could mean making money on even one rental. I doubt they will go that far, and they won’t need to sue anyone. There are lots of things they could do to shut renting down to a trickle. They have shown with their resale restrictions that they are willing to play ball to maintain control of their product. Never mind accessibility to reservations, what concerns me is people renting who trash the units. People who get “cheap” rentals are definitely more likely to abuse the properties. More and more people are reporting instances of this. If you are not invested in the upkeep often you don’t care. Yes, Disney rents out a small percent of the units, but the price threshold is enough to keep out most problem renters. We will email them as well.

Obviously it is only a matter of time before Disney addresses this issue. There is a prohibition against commercial renting in their legal docs. They have not defined commercial renting. But technically that could mean making money on even one rental. I doubt they will go that far, and they won’t need to sue anyone. There are lots of things they could do to shut renting down to a trickle. They have shown with their resale restrictions that they are willing to play ball to maintain control of their product. Never mind accessibility to reservations, what concerns me is people renting who trash the units. People who get “cheap” rentals are definitely more likely to abuse the properties. More and more people are reporting instances of this. If you are not invested in the upkeep often you don’t care. Yes, Disney rents out a small percent of the units, but the price threshold is enough to keep out most problem renters. We will email them as well.

They have defined commercial renting. It is a pattern of activity on a membership of 20 or more reservations in the names of tiehr within a rolling 12 month period that will trigger a review of that membership.

Some may not like that definition, but it is there.

And, there is no way they would even attempt to say one rental counts since the document gives us the power to rent. While DVC May push limits, they are not going to create a policy that is clearly a violation. They don’t need to.

Even the examples listed here are not going to make 18 AKV value rooms all of a sudden be more readily available for those getting shut out.

No matter what, only 18 memberships will ever get those rooms. Might make someone feel better that the guest is an owner, but there will still be many many many owners who lose out on those rooms every single day.

Last edited:
In all my years on this board I have not seen one single person post about a DVC room being damaged by someone renting their points. People renting DVC rooms are couples, families, and extended families, united by a love of Disney, and just don’t tend to behave that way. And while Disney has specified a threshold of 20 reservations in a 12 month period to decide what may be “commercial” activity, I don’t think they are enforcing this as I have also not seen a single post here along the lines of “I got an email/phone call from DVC because I made my 21st rental in a 12 month period”. Of course I may have missed such posts and am happy to stand corrected if so.

In all my years on this board I have not seen one single person post about a DVC room being damaged by someone renting their points. People renting DVC rooms are couples, families, and extended families, united by a love of Disney, and just don’t tend to behave that way. And while Disney has specified a threshold of 20 reservations in a 12 month period to decide what may be “commercial” activity, I don’t think they are enforcing this as I have also not seen a single post here along the lines of “I got an email/phone call from DVC because I made my 21st rental in a 12 month period”. Of course I may have missed such posts and am happy to stand corrected if so.
Well, believe it or not, it happens. And it is a cost imposed upon non renters by renters. Everyone knows that owners take better care of property than renters. Just a fact.

Oddly those nights, other than Thanksgiving, are quite easy to book at 7 months and even much further in. Many big holidays are not as popular as is thought. I bet you could find Christmas availability right now. Or you definitely could have 2-4 weeks ago at least. I haven't looked since then to see about possibly changing my resort.
Still seems like a very time consuming way to rent that doesn't affect members looking for long stretches of times.
I wondered if we were an unusual DVC owner because we have no interest in going to Disney during any holiday period.

I wondered if we were an unusual DVC owner because we have no interest in going to Disney during any holiday period.
We go at all different times and focus more on weekdays and not weekends as well - which helps in terms of availability. We also don’t care about concierge or the less point expensive studios either. However, I do find some of the pro “heavy renting” (but not commercial?), walking to rent, general walking, and owners are entitled whiners comments/arguments curious.

Well, believe it or not, it happens. And it is a cost imposed upon non renters by renters. Everyone knows that owners take better care of property than renters. Just a fact.
I couldn’t find any reports of this searching the board. Maybe someone more skillful than me at using the search feature could unearth some reports of these incidents, which as someone who rents points I would certainly be interested in reading about.

We go at all different times and focus more on weekdays and not weekends as well - which helps in terms of availability. We also don’t care about concierge or the less point expensive studios either. However, I do find some of the pro “heavy renting” (but not commercial?), walking to rent, general walking, and owners are entitled whiners comments/arguments curious.
I have not owned long enough to have bad experience with availability.

While of course anything can happen, I think these instances are few and far between. As @GoingSince1990 mentions, I can't find any reports of it here. Also, this isn't the same as a tenant renting a house. Yes, in those instances rentals often get trashed. Renting DVC though is much different. They have to have a CC on file and even when renting, the cost of a Disney vacation isn't cheap.

While of course anything can happen, I think these instances are few and far between. As @GoingSince1990 mentions, I can't find any reports of it here. Also, this isn't the same as a tenant renting a house. Yes, in those instances rentals often get trashed. Renting DVC though is much different. They have to have a CC on file and even when renting, the cost of a Disney vacation isn't cheap.
I don't think it happens too often either, but I think that regardless of CC on file, the member is ultimately responsible for any damages to the room, either by them or their guest (and renters are considered guests).

Neither I remember such occurrence.
I remember one instance of a person who got contacted by DVC because their renter left not paying the bill. Once in 11 years on this board and if I'm not mistaken it was resolved without the owner having to pay.
Now that is impossible because DVC bills the credit card every $100.

Also, a renter is still paying hundreds of dollars per night for a DVC room, I don't think they're more likely to trash the room than any DVC member.

No matter what, only 18 memberships will ever get those rooms. Might make someone feel better that the guest is an owner, but there will still be many many many owners who lose out on those rooms every single day.
At the end of the day this is the hard truth.
People want to book the high demand rooms and they fail so they look for a culprit. Might be walkers, renters or whatever.
Eliminating those won't magically create more value studios or BWV standard.

I believe that anything DVC might do to eliminate walking or reduce renting will not be a net advantage for the members. Any change DVC might do will primarily be for their own interests.

I don't think it happens too often either, but I think that regardless of CC on file, the member is ultimately responsible for any damages to the room, either by them or their guest (and renters are considered guests).
Oh yeah I understand that completely. I'm just saying though that before it got back to the member actually getting charged, the resort would definitely charge the CC on file first. Granted, the renter could give a card with low limit or something, close the CC after checkout, etc. But again, the likelihood of this "perfect storm" happening is next to nil in my opinion.

If this makes you unusual, then so are we. We avoid going to WDW like the plague during the major holidays. We were in MK on New Year's Day once about 20 years ago and are still in therapy as a result. Never again!

We also have no interest in the 18-value rooms at AKV, so that's one less membership vying for those coveted rooms. :)

I have already posted this many years ago but i did get a letter from Disney about exceeding the 20 rentals. This happened when i was buying lots of contracts with loaded points that i didnt plan on using. I also thought it was 20 rentals in a year not 20 in a rolling 12 months. I called up Disney explained what was happening and everything was fine. So they were certainly checking back then, 2012?

Now it is certainly simple to never exceed that limit by having different memberships.

Neither I remember such occurrence.
I remember one instance of a person who got contacted by DVC because their renter left not paying the bill. Once in 11 years on this board and if I'm not mistaken it was resolved without the owner having to pay.
Now that is impossible because DVC bills the credit card every $100.

Also, a renter is still paying hundreds of dollars per night for a DVC room, I don't think they're more likely to trash the room than any DVC member.

The credit card is only authorized for $100 but i do not believe it is billed for every hundred thereafter. I have never been billed until the end of my stay.

Last edited:
The credit card is only authorized for $100 but i do not believe it is billed for every hundred thereafter. I have never been billed until the end of my stay.
The CC is authorized for $100 upon check-in. It is then subsequently authorized once room charges exceed $100. It's not authorized in equal, $100 increments though. For example, if you were to charge a $250 meal to the room after checking in, you'd see a new authorization for $150. Then as you continue charging to the room, you will continue to see authorizations accordingly. But you're correct, the card is not actually charged until check-out.

As an aside, if you're one to visit the front desk and apply gift cards to the room balance (like me), they won't continue authorizing your card until your balance once again exceeds the amount already authorized. For example, say you had $512 in authorizations on day one and then pay off the balance with a gift card the next morning. They won't authorize your card again until your room balance exceeds $512.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter