Rented points problem

jecpva

Earning My Ears
Last December I rented out some points and just now I'm finding out that the renter had left with a $1400.00 charge that wasn't paid. I had her sign a rental agreement. Can DVC hold me responsible for this? I thought guests had to supply a charge card at check in to set up charging privileges? Why would I be responsible? Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jerry C.

I believe that I have read on here that they can. Guests do need to leave a card but if, for whatever reason, there is a problem with the card, the owner can have their account suspended.

I would contact the renter immediately and have them contact Disney to get it taken care of.

Good luck!

Can DVC hold me responsible for this? Why would I be responsible?

DVC's relationship is with you. you sublet your ownership interest to a renter, so that makes you responsible for the renter.

so DVC will come after you for damages and unpaid debts related to your ownership - even if they were not caused by you personally.

since you have a contract, you can pursue the renter for violating that contract. hopefully they are honest and will do so quickly. if not, you would have to pursue legal recourse.

From what I understand, you cannot be legally held responsible for the money but DVC can suspend your account until it is resolved. This came up another time and someone called DVC about it. Maybe you can find that thread.

Last Dec and DVC is just notifying you? There was also Credit Card fraud at some Disney resorts. There are some Threads on here about it. I believe Dec is one of the months in the time frame.

Last Dec and DVC is just notifying you? There was also Credit Card fraud at some Disney resorts. There are some Threads on here about it. I believe Dec is one of the months in the time frame.

Thanks for the info.
Is there a way to do a search of the threads for this.
Thanks
Jerry C

How did you find out about it?

My understanding based on info given to me by management at DVC is they will try to get the money from the guest.

If that is not successful you the owner are ultimately responsible.

Per the POS: renting Owners will be responsible for the acts or omissions of their renters

How did you find out about it?

My understanding based on info given to me by management at DVC is they will try to get the money from the guest.

If that is not successful you the owner are ultimately responsible.

Per the POS: renting Owners will be responsible for the acts or omissions of their renters

I found out when I tried to add a wait list request for another resort for a reservation I made earlier this morning. Nothing was said until I called back and tried to add the wait list. I guess this is a good lesson on why not to rent your points. I've only rented them out 3 or 4 times since becoming a member in 1994.
Thanks
Jerry C.

Thanks for the links. The first one doesn't seem to work, though.
Jerry C.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2053297
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=9354627&postcount=225

There was a more recent one where someone called DVC and they said the member is not responsible for the money, I'll see if I can find it*. The credit card agreement was between Disney and the renter, I don't think they can legally extend the responsibility to the member since was an option offered by Disney. Being able to room charge is not part of the DVC POS so it was a transaction outside of the membership.

Jecpva - have you spoken to member accounting? See the second link above.

*Edit - here it is, see post #40:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2240095

I found out when I tried to add a wait list request for another resort for a reservation I made earlier this morning. Nothing was said until I called back and tried to add the wait list. I guess this is a good lesson on why not to rent your points. I've only rented them out 3 or 4 times since becoming a member in 1994.
Thanks
Jerry C.

Please be sure and let us know how this is settled.

I have been told by management at DVC resorts that yes the member is responsible if they are not successful in getting the money collected from the guest.

I know some here on the DIS have had similar problems, their accounts were frozen until it was resolved, therefore ultimately since Disney got their money the member was not held responsible.

However I specifically asked during our last stay about what happens, and was told by Resort management:

That the member's account is frozen until it is resolved and that they do everything they can do get the money, be it room charges or damages, from the Guest; but if that fails then it passes to the member.

If that is not accurate per DVC, I would be interested in knowing as I am sure others would too.

DebbieB in that thread you linked to, if you will read what Doc posted in comment #45 that was exactly what I was told at OKW by management. That they have collected before from members.

Now as with Disney each case might be handled differently and hopefully for Jerry, they will help him resolve it; but I have always been told that in the end the member is responsible.

Thanks
Jerry C.

When you found out, what were you told to do? Did they say you were responsible, offer to help, :confused3

I mean surely they did not just tell you what happened and offer no other info?

I agree $1400 would be easy if you put everything charged to your room. So sorry you are having to deal with this.

Kim

When you found out, what were you told to do? Did they say you were responsible, offer to help, :confused3

I mean surely they did not just tell you what happened and offer no other info?

Actually, that is exactly what MS did. Told me that they can't help me with my wait list request until this is corrected. MS is going to mail me a copy of the charges. I called back and asked for the charges to be Emailed to me and I was told the best they can do is Fax them and no idea when that will happen as a different department handles Fax'ing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter