Renting DVC points

squitty

<font color=006633>With a little bit of Pixie Dust
Hi

Just picking your DVC brains :)

If I were to rent points from a DVC member, would there be any additional costs apart from say the $10 per point?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks for any information.

None that I'm aware of Michelle, for instance we don't pay resort tax or anything like that.

I suppose the risky part is finding somebody you trust to rent you the points and make the reservation for you.
Having said that it is an excellent way of getting a great deal at the DVC resorts.

Kev

As Kev says, I don't think there are any extras. We are renting points for a DVC stay in February and I haven't been told about any extras - no resort tax or anything!

Thank you both

Kev I would be lucky if I could find someone like you to rent points from, nothing risky about you Arfur oops I mean Kev;)
Do you think this will cause a problem, I am wanting to stay in 3 different resorts, spending 5 nights in each of them. Am I pushing my luck?

No 'extras' to pay. We even get discounts on some of the activities etc as we are considered 'members' too :)
I rented this year and am doing so again for next year - both times I've been lucky to find UK owners that I trusted :D

squitty said:
Thank you both

Kev I would be lucky if I could find someone like you to rent points from, nothing risky about you Arfur oops I mean Kev;)
Do you think this will cause a problem, I am wanting to stay in 3 different resorts, spending 5 nights in each of them. Am I pushing my luck?

Can't help you wiv the points darlin' but I can do you a right deal on a used Cortina. ;)

If you can find someone with enough points to rent then they should be able to book 3 different resorts for you. The only thing to bear in mind is that they can only book their home resort 11 months out. The other resorts could be booked at the 7 month window.

I agree with Tracey that it would probably be easier if you could find a UK owner to rent from.

Kev

Awrght G'vnor ;)

Thank you for your help, here's hoping we find a nice UK DVC'er that has lots of points for rent.

Squitty

When were you thinking of going? I can't commit to renting my points just now but by early next year I may have some to rent.

Hi Jools,
We are looking at going next September. We are hoping to stay at Disney's Beach Club, Disney's BoardWalk and Disney's Wilderness Lodge staying five nights Sunday - Thursday in each resort. If my math is right I will need 180 points.

Hi....I've both rented FROM and then rented OUT points, and it is probably the easiest transaction you will ever do. The owner of the points always keeps final control over the points...meaning that he could cancel a reservation...but I have never heard of that happening (and I am sure he would be quickly banned from the dis, or at least, sounded thrashed!)

There's a fairly simple contract specifying who does what and when, and then I use (and I think most everyone else also uses) PayPal. I suggest that people put it on a credit card and pay for those charges...then if anything should go wrong,you can always have your CC back you up.

A cute story re renting out points to 'strangers' : the first couple I rented to, loved DVC so much that they bought it and put me down as a referral. If I lived in a different state, I could have rec'd some cash back for that. The second couple that rented were there when I was there and we met and have been traveling together since!!!!!! We have 3 trips planned in August and September!!!!!

Of course, you have to be willing to trust and expect the best from people.
Disney does send you a confirmation letter. A recent 'rule' being more firmly adherred to is that member services will only speak to owners about any reservations, including those rented out. But a 3 way phone conference call takes care of that issue.

Whether you rent points or just a certain dollar amount per reservation, it is still much cheaper than renting through the Mouse (by half or more.)

kidsister said:
... A cute story re renting out points to 'strangers' : the first couple I rented to, loved DVC so much that they bought it and put me down as a referral. If I lived in a different state, I could have rec'd some cash back for that. The second couple that rented were there when I was there and we met and have been traveling together since!!!!!! We have 3 trips planned in August and September!!!!!

That really is a nice story :goodvibes

Squitty

Yes you only need 180 points.

Our home resort is the Boardwalk, but like I say can't commit to renting any points until early next year. We may be using the points ourself, waiting on our friends letting us know if they can come with us.

If you don't find anyone else to rent points from by then give me a shout.

Thank you Jools

That's very kind of you.

I am renting points for a stay in Feb next year. If all goes well, I will happily recommend him as he owns loads of points and always seems to have loads to rent out.

Joh is the person you rent from in Northern Ireland? I know my DFIL sometimes rents out points but I know we are stealing, umm renting, quite a few from him next year so I'm not sure what he will have left. If you are stuck give me a shout and I'll ask him.

We are thinking about renting out our points in 2008 as we have booked for next year but think we will give it a miss for 2008. We have recently bought a holiday home in Spain so we may go every other year. This thread has put my mind at rest about renting out points in the UK as I thought I would have to ask on the US board.

Susan

That would be great Joh.

Jills, thank you very much.

Susan, I don't think you would have any trouble renting your points here.

Thank you again for the great help.

squitty said:
Hi

Just picking your DVC brains :)

If I were to rent points from a DVC member, would there be any additional costs apart from say the $10 per point?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks for any information.

So is that really how much it costs? Looking at the charts its about 400-500 for two weeks in October. At $10 a point thats $4000-$5000 for the two weeks.... (I'm assuming htis is for just one use).

Not cheap !!!! I usually pay a max of $1200 to rent a villa 10 mins drive from WDW !

Hi guys

Just to say that I am now sorted:)

Managed to rent some points from a lovely lady.

We even managed to get our flights booked at the weekend.

Thanks again for all your help, roll on next September :dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter