renting points

CarKey

Mouseketeer
Yes, I see that there is an entire discussion for renting DVC points but there is no explanation of how it works. I get the gist, people who aren't taking a Disney vacation this year can let someone else rent the points, but what are the details? What is considered an average price? Can we still purchase a package that includes the dining plan? How do I know if I am getting a good price? Thanks all.

There should be some info over on the rent/trade board.

You work out the details with the person you are renting the points from - points usually go for between $10 to $12 per point and the owner makes the reservation for you based on what Member services has available. You can add the dining plan for the regular per day price.

Go over to the DVC Rent/Trade Board and read the FAQs at the top of the page.

The gist of it:

You are renting a reservation from a DVC member and not from Disney. So Disney does not get involved in any way. You cannot purchase a package. All you get is the room. But the DVC owner can get you set up to purchase the Disney Dining Plan (it's NEVER free on DVC points, even if it is Free Dining time) and to use Magical Express. You pay for the DDP when you check in. All guests staying in the villa for all days (just like the other resorts). You'll need to purchase your own tickets.

The DVC member fully controls the reservation until the moment you check into the resort. You cannot confirm the reservation until a day or two before you check in when the reservation is transferred to the resort. You cannot call Member Services. The member should provide you with a copy of the confirmation sheet, though.

Cancellation policies are at the member's whim. Some allow them, some don't. Same thing for payment. They may want full payment just to make the reservation. And if you cancel, you may be out whatever you have already paid the member. Changes to the reservation are also difficult, so make sure you have it set in stone before you make the reservation.

It can be a very good deal for a non-member, but there is a lot of trust involved. Most members are asking at least $12 a point or more these days. The $10 per point rental is quickly disappearing.

I have rented points for my last two trips to WDW. Both experiences were overwhelmingly positive and my wife and I were able to stay at the BCV and BWV respectively. If you go to the main DIS page and then click on the DVC/Timeshare link on the left side of the page you will find a FAQ that will most likely answer any question you may have. There is a certain degree of trust that is required of both parties as you will learn. Again I thoroughly enjoyed my renting experience and hope to do it again in May of 08.

We are DVC memebers and staying in May at the BCV. We needed more points because our extended family will be joining us, so I posted that I needed 88 points and someone IM me that they had them. It cost 10 dollars a point $880 dollars for 4 nights which ended up with a one bedroom at the BWV. The memeber I rented from had to call and book the villa. I sent her a deposit of $100.00 on pay pal. After she booked and sent me the confirmation we sent her a cashiers check for the balance. We had no problems and she even set up the Magical Express for our family members coming in from NY. That is how it worked for us but I am sure there may be different ways of handling it. However for the price of a moderate we got a deluxe and everyone will be close by. :goodvibes

I have rented two times. both times from different people. I went to the dis rent trade board to find them. I have paid $10 and $11 depends on what the owner is asking. Both times I stayed at OKW 1br villa since the points were cheaper and the rooms were bigger. Next time I would like to try Saratoga.
It's a great deal if that is the type of accomidation you want. I have rented from great DVC owners both times, but was nervous about it. Actually the last owner eased my mind by calling and asking me what I needed on my reservation. Great guy. But you have no control over your reservation. I paid them and had to trust that they were not going to cancel my reservation. If you are not a member guest services will not talk to you. But they also have to trust that you will not back out on the deal as they have already allocated their points to you. As an owner I would be so pissed just as you would be if they canceled on you. So it is a trust for both sides and a win win for both.
You add the dining plan and tickets to your room at check in. They all go on your room key just as it would with a package. You would be a DVC guest and treated no different from any of the cast members.
I rent because Disney wants an insane price for their villas. That makes the DVC look like a better deal. My oldest has ADHD and I do spend half of the day in the room. And she loves having the extra space. ok I do to.
I am going again this January and trying to decide what I want to do. Get a moderate room with a AAA rate, rent from a dvc owner, or finally break down and become a DVC member myself.
Good Luck I hope I was of some help.

This thread really belongs on the DVC Mousecellaneous board. The people over there are experienced and really can point you in the right direction with most of your questions.

Yes, if you rent points, the dining plan is available to you -- the person you rent from can arrange it for you when they make your reservation.

As for your questions about price -- have a look down the rent/trade board. You'll see points renting between 10 and 12$ for most resorts and times of the year.. slightly more for very peak times like Christmas etc.

I'm going to move this thread to the DVC forum and I'm sure the folks there can point you to the correct FAQ's etc to answer the majority of your questions.

Knox

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions. I am definitley becoming interested in this option. So, within a few hundred dollars, what can I expect to pay for 9 nights (two weekends) in May 08? One bedroom; any resort. Thanks guys.

For a 1 bedroom, checking in on a Friday in May, 2008 and then out on a Sunday (9 nights later), you would need anywhere from 292 points (OKW) to 364 points (BCV, VWL, BWV Preferred). BWV Standard and SSR are somewhere in between those amounts.

Multiply the number of points by the price per point - at $12 per point, it would run between $3504 and $4368 (or $389-$485 per night).

FWIW, the Friday and Saturday nights are much more expensive than the other nights. Since you want two weekends, you may be better off paying cash for your trip, especially if you are able to get a discount of some kind. WDWTC/CRO does not charge more for the weekend nights.

For comparison, 5 weeknights in May would range from 100 points to 140 points. At $12 per point, your nightly cost would be $240 - $336 per night.

There is no tax on DVC points rentals. A 1 bedroom sleeps 4 plus an infant under the age of 3. A portable crib (Pac 'n Play) is provided for the infant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter