Resale & Direct through Disney

tmaxwell

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are thinking (well - no it's going to happen - hahaha) of purchasing a DVC. We want the perks and will most likely buy when we are down there this year 75 points, the minimum at Copper Creek. We want to get about 125 more points for Copper Creek with an August use year but can't seem to find them. We want Copper Creek as our home resort.

Does it really matter what resale contract we buy? Like does it matter where the home resort is? Could we say buy Animal Kingdom and as long as our use year is August and we have points to use next year we are all set?

Thank you!!

You won’t be able to use Akv points to book 11 months out at CCV. If you want that to be your home resort you need to buy the resale points from there as well. If you want the points to be in one lump you will have to match the use year as well.

I've seen recommended here many times to buy the resale first and then have direct match. Depending on the deals they have right now - it may make sense to just buy direct if your heart is set on CCV. I know at one time they were offering like $2500 off 200 points. The price difference ($188 vs. $160ish) might be worth running the numbers.

We do have our heart set on CCV. I just love it there! I find it so quiet and peaceful! Thank you!!

Not sure when you are heading down there, but if it is not soon, you should call and buy Copper Creek now (or in the next month) as it will reach sell out status no later than June 1st (according to DVC). When it does, the price goes up to $210/point.

And yes, if you want CCV, you need to own there AND be prepared to book 11 months out.

Generally speaking one would find the resale contract, and then purchase the matching direct. However, if that's not possible buy the direct, and wait until you find the right resale match. Until then, you could always rent points.

Also, matching UY is not all that necessary. I have several UY's. It's pretty simple. I wouldn't pass on a contract I liked because it's a Sep and I was looking for an Aug.

I would say much more important to match home resort given your priorities than UY.

Is there a reason you're locked into August as your use year? There are some good resale contracts available right now with February use years. I'd say buy direct ASAP as well...i've gotten multiple emails that the price will be going up by June 1st. Could happen sooner than that, but will be $210 a point by June 1st versus the $188 its at right now.

We plan to buy 75 points direct and 125 resell at same resort. We have not decided on the resort yet, narrowed to 3. I think I understand that to be able to use all 200 points at 11 months at home resort we would need them to be the same UY? Which order do you buy- direct first, then resell or resell first, then direct? Will Disney match UY if we buy resell first and tell them we want same resort, same UY?

We plan to buy 75 points direct and 125 resell at same resort. We have not decided on the resort yet, narrowed to 3. I think I understand that to be able to use all 200 points at 11 months at home resort we would need them to be the same UY? Which order do you buy- direct first, then resell or resell first, then direct? Will Disney match UY if we buy resell first and tell them we want same resort, same UY?

They do not all have to be the same UY to combine points to book 11 months out, just the same home resort. I would buy resale first.

If you want CCV, skip resale. There's just not much out there for it, and almost every contract I've seen overvalues itself.

If you want CCV, skip resale. There's just not much out there for it, and almost every contract I've seen overvalues itself.

"Overvalue" is subjective. An absolute savings is an absolute savings. If you are planning on buying direct for the perks already, then a savings on resale, regardless of its relative value, equals less out of pocket $$$s. *** unless you plan on wanting to use your points for DCL, Reflections, Riviera, or other non_DVC Disney vacations***

In 5-10 years, you're not going to be sitting around saying, "oh ho hum, I wish I would have paid less of a spread between the amortized price per point on a resale CCV and resale BLT." Rather, you'll probably be more excited about the 5-10k you saved splitting up direct and resale.

"Overvalue" is subjective. An absolute savings is an absolute savings. If you are planning on buying direct for the perks already, then a savings on resale, regardless of its relative value, equals less out of pocket $$$s. *** unless you plan on wanting to use your points for DCL, Reflections, Riviera, or other non_DVC Disney vacations***

In 5-10 years, you're not going to be sitting around saying, "oh ho hum, I wish I would have paid less of a spread between the amortized price per point on a resale CCV and resale BLT." Rather, you'll probably be more excited about the 5-10k you saved splitting up direct and resale.
There really isn't much savings, if any, on resale CCV, which @_auroraborealis_ was correct to point out since the resort is actively being sold the resale prices are a bit higher. Taking into consideration the hassle of finding the contract size you want, the time for resale to close, the loaded (instantly available post deposit) contract guarantee from DVC vs partially stripped, you could make an argument of absolute savings and subjective savings on CCV direct if you wanted to buy now. Perhaps in another 1-2 years resale prices will be low enough that the 188 you spent might not be as good, but then you have to wait until then and hold off on buying if the Poster wanted CCV. It really depends on you vacation habits (buying 3-4 gold passes instead of 3-4 Platinum passes off the bat, saving 900-1200 dollars first year), not going for 1-2 years (renting points will net more than a stripped contract), any developer incentives, etc.

Plus the Poster wanted 125 points they may want to consider buying a GW for a peak DVC time for a studio at that price point, better resale value (if you market properly) and better availability. Something that is super rare and won't be seen on resale likely for a while.

^^ exactly that. I maybe didn't elaborate enough, but when you take into account resale asking price, current builder incentives that would kick in buying all the points direct, and the ease of "matching UY" (because you wouldn't have to fuss) direct, your overall savings are going to be pretty low in context.

Current builder incentive for 150-174 points at CCV is $300. For 200 points it climbs to $1250 (quite a leap, that). Base price is $188/point.

So 200 points direct right now is $35,350 (basically $182pp).

Purchase of 75 direct and an attempt to find 175 resale gets messier, but here's how I'm laying it out:
  • 75 direct is $14,100, no incentive.
  • I found a 150 point CCV with April UY with 0 2018, 86 2019, 150 2020 at $147. So that's $22,050.
  • hat puts 225 points at $36,150, so it's roughly $1000 more for 25 extra points per year, which sounds like an okay deal.
But if we take into account the 64 used 2019 points, and bought a current UY right now from Disney, Disney would let us bank the points purchased today still in the 2018 UY, and we'd get ALL the 2019 points as well. So we'd fundamentally get double points for 2019 (because they'd let us bank past deadline on a direct purchase.)

So with 400 effective 2019 points, we rent half, that's $3800, brings the price closer in range and sets us up with the number of desired points without having to hover for UY or contract size. There aren't a lot of CCV contracts out there, and the 100-125 pointers I see sold are stripped and looking for $160pp.

Especially when you factor in the ability to bank past deadline for the current year points, builder incentive, and the number of those $160pp smaller contracts that are stripped, the savings differential dries up quick.

CCV is 188 direct. With very little effort, I found a non-stripped CCV resale contract for $146pp.... that's at least $5k savings (roughly 22% savings). I wouldn't call that insignificant.

Is it just you and your husband and will you be looking to stay in a studio? If so you will have a next to zero chance to book one if it is not your home resort. And even if it is, it is still very difficult to book a studio sometimes because of The whole Cabin-point-skewing problem.

*** Welcome !!! ***

CCV is 188 direct. With very little effort, I found a non-stripped CCV resale contract for $146pp.... that's at least $5k savings (roughly 22% savings). I wouldn't call that insignificant.

Yes, it's generally not too difficult. Not every contract is stripped and many times they come with banked points which you can't get buying direct. Early on CCV contracts would not have had that but contracts that were sold early on definitely can now.

Previous direct closing cost savings are a non-factor since DVC increased them. I wonder if some resale closings costs are actually less now. As more and more CCV contracts end up on the resae market it's also pushing the prices down. A $40/pt spread is going to be very achievable. CCV has shifted past the point of it being a no-brainer to purchase direct.

Disney will match your direct purchase UY to the resale UY. In general because you have to buy what is offered on the resale it's easier to buy that first and allow some lee way on the UY to get the best contract you can find within whatever UY's might work best for you. Then Disney will match up direct. There have been some issues with them having points to sell at certain sold out resorts but a recent amendment they have done helps them to match the UY easier and theoretically should make it easier to buy points at sold out resorts from them.

Another element of my "just buck up for direct" is both the relative scarcity of the resale contracts right now, which will probably continue for another 2-3 years, and the impending price jump. Once you buy direct first, it further limits you for resale contracts in a limited market if you want to match UY. If you wait for the resale contract, you'll likely be looking at the new price on CCV.

So that math becomes 75 x $210 = $15,750
125 * $148 (estimate) = $18,500
Total = $34,250

Buying all 200 at current incentive and price is $35,350, with only one closing fee, and no waiting and finagling to match UY. Paying closing only once halves the gap right there, and leaves a fairly small gap between all direct, and the direct-resale combo.

I think regulars know I'm not a big proponent of direct in most cases, as the value isn't there for most buyers or resorts. In this case, if buying the minimum 75 direct for benefits is part of the plan - and it seems to be - the savings is not substantial versus the bother and delay of trying to work out the resale-direct match while also buying the 75 before June 1, in my opinion.

If the idea was to buy all 200 resale, the savings start adding up. But with the 75 direct being in the picture, and June 1 looming, I would just go direct were it me.

Do you know which 3 resorts you are looking at? We just went through this and the only resorts available (outside of Copper Creek and Aulani) that they had at the time were Old Key West and Animal Kingdom for direct (at least that was what my guide had at the time). If you are buying at a site that is previously sold out...I believe you get the UY from whatever contract they bought back through Right of First Refusal. For instance they had December and April available for Animal Kingdom...I didn't ask about old key west UY, because we were more focused on either Animal Kingdom or Copper Creek.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter