Resale Price Patterns?

1momof3boys3

Mouseketeer
Has anyone noticed if there are price patterns for resale contracts? I was looking at prices a few weeks ago and compared to today there's a price increase. I get notifications from DVC Resale Market. For example, they were sending me AKV at $85-$88 per point. Today's email was $85-$97. The most expensive ones had June use years, but when comparing emails, today's were $97 per point and a few weeks ago they were $87. Do prices go up close to summer when travel is busier? Are prices just going up right now?

I don't have a history of things but I watch the prices like a hawk. I found most resale companies fall in line in pricing usually. There are always crazy outliers that are over priced. When there are less listings priced rise. Supply and demand. I made multiple bids on contracts that I felt was an actual fair market value and I never heard from them.

What we did is signed up for the email listings (all of them) and found that Fidelity had prices significantly lower than all the others. They are priced to move fast. They are a little higher in closing costs but I found it to be cheaper overall. We were assigned a broker who emailed us personally about a contract and ended up getting it for asking price with the seller paying our closing costs, and it passed rofr. I would hands down use them again.

Like I said though, they move fast and you need to call within minutes of the email going out with an offer to ensure it doesn't get snatched up.

Good luck!

I too saw the prices really go up this past week but I did find that most sellers would come way down to where the market seemed to be based on what others were paying.

There are definitely some broker sites that post WAY higher than the others consistently. My guess as to why is that there's a tool for sellers that determines market value and it's always high and seems to match what they actually list at (on one particular site).

Fidelity definitely lists much lower, I was shocked, sadly nothing popped up that matched our needs while we were looking.

I was actually told by one broker that prices should go down in the coming weeks but not sure how accurate that is.

I don't have a history of things but I watch the prices like a hawk. I found most resale companies fall in line in pricing usually. There are always crazy outliers that are over priced. When there are less listings priced rise. Supply and demand. I made multiple bids on contracts that I felt was an actual fair market value and I never heard from them.

What we did is signed up for the email listings (all of them) and found that Fidelity had prices significantly lower than all the others. They are priced to move fast. They are a little higher in closing costs but I found it to be cheaper overall. We were assigned a broker who emailed us personally about a contract and ended up getting it for asking price with the seller paying our closing costs, and it passed rofr. I would hands down use them again.

Like I said though, they move fast and you need to call within minutes of the email going out with an offer to ensure it doesn't get snatched up.

Good luck!

Good to know! Thanks!!

I would not rely on broker asking prices to see how the market is going (with the possible exception of Fidelity). Rather, I would look at two sources: the ROFR thread on DisBoards, and the OC Controllers site.
The ROFR thread is a small subset of the transactions, but you can see how many points by year and closing costs. The OC Controllers site has ALL transactions, so you can see sales price, points, and therefore price per point, but you cannot see closing costs or points by year.

Last edited:
There are some general trends that exist, but mostly the market is controlled by supply and demand. Right now there are fewer than half as many contracts for sale as there were in January. That's going to lead to an uptick in prices.

There are some general trends that exist, but mostly the market is controlled by supply and demand. Right now there are fewer than half as many contracts for sale as there were in January. That's going to lead to an uptick in prices.
Agreed. I think this is more of a supply/demand thing.

Prices were about this high a year ago -- and then things seemed to drop through the summer and fall. This past Nov/Dec seemed to be the cheapest I've seen in the last year of watching prices. There's just not much inventory out there at all right now...so it's more of a seller's market.

I have a June UY and I have noticed that there doesn't seem to be a lot of contracts out there. And the ones that do pop up, go quickly. I agree that it seems to be a seller's market.

Also, you can guess who is a distressed seller sometimes because the contract is loaded and they have multiple contracts for sale at one of the newer resorts and probably are carrying a mortgage with DVC. Got in over their heads and need to get out.

I just got an email from the timeshare store. They have two BCV contracts listed for $150 a point.

Not $105. $150.

For BCV!?!

That's. Insane. (For resale)

I just got an email from the timeshare store. They have two BCV contracts listed for $150 a point.

Not $105. $150.

For BCV!?!

Holy cow! That's crazy! I like BLT, but even at $119 a point, I'm thinking that's too much for resale! LOL!! I liked AKV at $88 per point. I guess I'll wait until this winter to see if prices go down. =/

There are currently SSR contracts out there listed 300/$87 (Timeshare store) and 350/$90. Interesting.

$150 for BCV is probably a broker trying to flip a contract and make a ton of cash and also drive up the prices at the same time.

Not $105. $150.

For BCV!?!

$150 for BCV is probably a broker trying to flip a contract and make a ton of cash and also drive up the prices at the same time.

Wouldn't surprise me if the seller got that amount or close to it. One of them at least is for 91 points with an August use year and has all of the 2016 points banked into 2017.

There's also one out there for 25 points at BCV $145 pp. It's an October use year and is loaded: 2016 - 25 | 2017 - 50 | 2018 - 25. May already be gone, for all I know. :)

Good luck!
I had never heard of Fidelity and I watch resale websites like a hawk too-thanks for the new website to check out!!

I had never heard of Fidelity and I watch resale websites like a hawk too-thanks for the new website to check out!!
Especially with Fidelity, if you are actively looking to purchase get on the email list. We are in contract with an owner who listed 4 contracts at once with Fidelity. Two were smaller and to my knowledge were never even advertised - I assume Fidelity had a "waitlist" of buyers that had specified what they were looking for. We offered on one of the two larger contracts the day after the email came out. Talking with the agent after our offer was accepted I learned that we had taken the last of the 4 - they went that quickly. This was 3 weeks ago. None of the four appear on Fidelity's website as of now even as "pending".

Not $105. $150.

For BCV!?!

Wouldn't surprise me if the seller got that amount or close to it. One of them at least is for 91 points with an August use year and has all of the 2016 points banked into 2017.

There's also one out there for 25 points at BCV $145 pp. It's an October use year and is loaded: 2016 - 25 | 2017 - 50 | 2018 - 25. May already be gone, for all I know. :)

I came on here to see if anyone else had noticed the same thing. Crazy - I was hoping for BCV as a second contract, but not at THAT price, lol.

For prices that high -- you're almost certainly better going with a direct purchase.

I am waiting till the end of the year, maybe January to purchase for two reasons. First, that's when I will have the cash on hand:rolleyes: and second from what I've read, there will be more availability and possibly better buys then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter