Resale Resorts Riv eligibility

The big difference is that Disney did not predict was a global pandemic that shut down cruises, the parks, etc.

I don't think they were discouraged by people being turned off - if you look at the sales numbers pre-pandemic, they were just fine. The pandemic is the big unknown here - Disney may have previously been able to afford to play the long game and wait, but with revenue hurting, I don't think they can play as long of a game.

So if the sales don't rebound, I think they may end up re-considering the resale restrictions as a promotion to help make more direct sales. Or if they really want to stick to the resale restrictions, they could turn up the promotions and reduce the price of Riviera.

The documents for Riviera say they can turn it off or turn it back on anytime they want though - so even if they turn it off, they could turn them back on in the future.

I do agree with @chicagodisneyguy in that if sales don't improve - Disney could decide to replace leadership at DVC which could bring changes.

If you look at other businesses, they're having to roll back some pretty anti-consumer rules like airline flight change fees to try to get people to buy flights. So it wouldn't surprise me to see Disney doing more pro-consumer things to attract people.
I wonder if they would lift restrictions as imagine the people that would be upset that bought with the restrictions. I've talked to some people who have bought direct only because of the restrictions, not sure if this increased the percentage of people doing direct.

That doesn't mean someone else won't buy them in your place. As long as enough people buy all the points in an appropriate period of time, the sales aren't affected by a small subset of potential buyers balking at the restrictions.

That assumes a line waiting to purchase with someone who can't unless others in front of them decline. There's never replacing someone who would have bought in a scenario where there isn't a limit on the product and that's not DVC.

It's also a common thing said to people who state they are cutting back or ending trips to Disney. There's no date in the year that if someone come up they can't get into a park. If they constantly shut down entry day after day and people were still lined up then sure but that's not Disney Parks so a guest lost is one less guest in the parks.

Last edited:
I can't imagine doing such a big purchase without copious amount of research but I know lots of people buy like that. I just spent two hours researching the best mandolin to replace my old one 🤣

The majority of people buy DVC on impulse at the parks. But, honestly, people are different in how the analyze,

Reading these boards will show you that. Some of us simply looked at cash vs initial costs and didn’t think about resale value, inflation, etc. Others go into so much detail it’s head spinning.

I wonder if they would lift restrictions as imagine the people that would be upset that bought with the restrictions. I've talked to some people who have bought direct only because of the restrictions, not sure if this increased the percentage of people doing direct.

I bought direct at Riviera because I wanted to maintain blue card perks for my kids if they want them when we pass the contracts to them. If they don’t want them, they can sell them. They don’t need to “make a profit” on the sale since they didn’t buy them. We all bought in and signed with the understanding that the restrictions exist, they may be removed, and they may be reimplemented after removal. People can complain, but we knew what we were buying. I’m staying there for the first time next month and cannot wait! I’ve toured the grounds and eaten at Topolino’s but haven’t gotten to stay yet.

There's never replacing someone who would have bought in a scenario where there isn't a limit on the product.

I don't believe anyone who wants to buy is removed from the equation.

I think those who want to buy will....eventually. There are those who buy instantly, those who buy after sitting on the fence for a while and those who buy after long term consideration but anyone, using some of the responses on the forum, as to why people buy the above alone show that.
Someone who may take a hard look at buying may take awhile to put the pen to paper so to say not everyone is an easy sell and could be considered a walk-a-way but will buy in the end.

It's hard to get people to change their mind about buying if they want something I think even all those so called 5% educated buyers are part of the 95% emotional buyers club. I believe fair weather buyers are the ones walking away and the first to sell almost as quickly as they bought but they exist in every sale.

I don't believe anyone who wants to buy is removed from the equation.

I think those who want to buy will....eventually. There are those who buy instantly, those who buy after sitting on the fence for a while and those who buy after long term consideration but anyone, using some of the responses on the forum, as to why people buy the above alone show that.
Someone who may take a hard look at buying may take awhile to put the pen to paper so to say not everyone is an easy sell and could be considered a walk-a-way but will buy in the end.

It's hard to get people to change their mind about buying if they want something I think even all those so called 5% educated buyers are part of the 95% emotional buyers club. I believe fair weather buyers are the ones walking away and the first to sell almost as quickly as they bought but they exist in every sale.

We're talking about those who were all set to purchase until they heard about and thought about the restrictions. There are people who will walk away especially when it's not the only offering or only way to purchase DVC. So I think you're saying that if people want to buy but hesitate over something new that they'll still eventually purchase. I disagree. Some will but not all and that's a lost sale to DVC.

We're talking about those who were all set to purchase until they heard about and thought about the restrictions. There are people who will walk away especially when it's not the only offering or only way to purchase DVC. So I think you're saying that if people want to buy but hesitate over something new that they'll still eventually purchase. I disagree. Some will but not all and that's a lost sale to DVC.

Sorry KAT

Given the emotion equation built into every purchase (its more a fact) people will get over anything they perceive that gets in their way of buying something. They will simply justify it to themselves it just takes some longer than others.

Sorry KAT

Given the emotion equation built into every purchase (its more a fact) people will get over anything they perceive that gets in their way of buying something. They will simply justify it to themselves it just takes some longer than others.

IF it's the only option then maybe but no, it's not going to be 100% that revisit the decision. Riviera is not the only option.

IF it's the only option then maybe but no, it's not going to be 100% that revisit the decision. Riviera is not the only option.

Depends on the person and the options they are looking for RIV could be the only option in that equation. We are all different and view things like options differently doesn't make my views less relevant than yours just different.

Depends on the person and the options they are looking for RIV could be the only option in that equation. We are all different and view things like options differently doesn't make my views less relevant than yours just different.

Come on - that's not what I said. You made a statement that sounded like everyone - ie 100% - would reconsider and still purchase and then told me it was so and I was incorrect. This new comment is essentially what I stated when indicating not 100% will still buy and that is because of the fact that everyone evaluates differently.

They updated the waiver courtesy notice to remove the reference to Reflections and someone made a mistake. Even still, a courtesy notice at the bottom of an ROFR waiver means nothing. They could put a comment that only direct buyers get the good mickey waffles and the document would still mean the same thing.
This doesn't mean the waiver wasn't pushed prematurely. If you look at who I was commenting on was in reference to Sandisw's post on them sending her question to higher ups instead of just debunking it as a error. Throw in the new surveys going around asking why people didn't buy Riviera instead of other DVC's. There could be more to this that they just haven't finalized yet or are ready to announce.

This doesn't mean the waiver wasn't pushed prematurely. If you look at who I was commenting on was in reference to Sandisw's post on them sending her question to higher ups instead of just debunking it as a error. Throw in the new surveys going around asking why people didn't buy Riviera instead of other DVC's. There could be more to this that they just haven't finalized yet or are ready to announce.
It’s certainly possible they were looking at it; just look at the incentives offered this summer when DVC reopened. First time incentives offered on sold out resorts, too! It may be that they were going to reverse restrictions - but then sales weren’t as bad as they feared and maybe they decided to hold off, but the memo didn’t make it to all the right groups in time.

The majority of people buy DVC on impulse at the parks. But, honestly, people are different in how the analyze,

Yep. Lots of uninformed/different buyers out there. An old friend of mine bought BLT on impulse at the parks. Didn't even hear about DVC before that. Did many things I wouldn't do in the last 10 years he's owned it, including using points for cruises, taking out a mortgage with Disney, and just paying it off this past July. I mentioned the resale restrictions and he didn't even know about it. But to each their own. He's got a full-sized Darth Vader figure standing in his foyer to greet us and I have my shoe rack. :rotfl2:

Last edited:
I bought direct at Riviera because I wanted to maintain blue card perks for my kids if they want them when we pass the contracts to them. If they don’t want them, they can sell them. They don’t need to “make a profit” on the sale since they didn’t buy them. We all bought in and signed with the understanding that the restrictions exist, they may be removed, and they may be reimplemented after removal. People can complain, but we knew what we were buying. I’m staying there for the first time next month and cannot wait! I’ve toured the grounds and eaten at Topolino’s but haven’t gotten to stay yet.
Interesting idea to get blue cards for the kids, before they have their own families and move out. They would need to keep everything as one contract, but once they move away from your house, they all keep the cards, and privileges with their respective families, right? That makes the extra cost of buying direct more reasonable perhaps; as the benefits are split across multiple families for many years I’d think? Kids would need to be 18 and named on the contract of course. I might be thinking of it wrong?

but once they move away from your house, they all keep the cards, and privileges with their respective families, right?
They do! It is one of the huge benefits of the direct purchase. If you had two kids on your contract who got married and each had two kids, all 10 of you would qualify for the ticket discount, and your two children would each have a blue card (their partners would not unless they were also added on the contract).

If the direct contract is purchased when kids are under 18, they can be added once they do turn 18 right?

Of course then your kids have equal access to the contract, it could be an asset in a divorce, etc. so choose wisely :)

This is very true and we decided that what it would cost to buy out the share of that person, if the worst case happened, was something we were willing to do.

We also decided that if the two girls ever get married, we may have their significant other sign off on a claim prior to marriage, But honestly, one contract is RIV and one SSR so honestly, not thinking it would be that much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter