Resort pools in the summer

travelbug

DIS Veteran
I've never been to WDW in the summer, so I've been wondering something. I know that lots of people head back to their hotels for an afternoon break to escape the heat for a while when touring the parks. If you take a swim, is the water too warm to be refreshing? Or is the air so oppressive that even a very warm pool is still refreshing?

Just curious about what it's like in the summer. (I generally visit between December and February.)Thanks to anyone who doesn't mind answering my curious question!

I suppose the answer will vary from person to person. I prefer a pool that feels quite warm, so I like the resort pools in summer. Mind you, I only hop in for a few minutes and then get out and lie in the shade. That's about the only way I've found to cool off. DH only hits the pools in early morning or at night, because he doesn't like being in the water with that hot sun pounding down on him.

I've never felt the water to be too warm. But guess it's subjective.

We've been to WDW several times during the summer months and always found the pool water temps to be refreshing. While nobody wants pool temps like bathwater, it's also miserable if it's too cold.

I'll be the oddball here. I like pool water to be warm...really warm. I won't even consider getting in a pool if the water is below 85. I've used a therapy pool that is always 93-95 degrees. I like that. :-) When we were at Art of Animation a few weeks ago, I think the pool water was warmer than the therapy pool I use. It literally felt like I was walking into a bath tub. I didn't find it refreshing at all. But it still felt better to be in the pool than not in it. :-)

If it's 90+ outside and the pool, as always, is heated to 80, it's going to feel refreshing. It could feel cold.

We just got back from Disney a couple weeks ago, we stayed at Coronado Springs. I agree with many of the previous posters--the water was warm but still refreshing.
One thing I didn't consider before my trip was how HOT the pavement around the pool gets. I was seriously worried about getting blisters just walking from the chairs to the pool. I saw a couple kids wearing those softer water shoes and thought it was a great idea. If I visit Disney in summer again I will definitely bring them for my family!
More like these http://www.walmart.com/ip/Boys-Neoprene-Watershoe/42084110
Not heavier/sturdier ones like these http://www.landsend.com/products/mens-oxford-water-shoes/id_282928_253?cm_mmc=139971612&source=GS

We have stayed at WL and BC during summer before. The WL pool is relatively small so I think the water heats up a bit quicker in it. The water at the WL pool was bath warm, but it was still cooler than the heat in the air.

SAB at BC was still cool and refreshing though.

If it's 90+ outside and the pool, as always, is heated to 80, it's going to feel refreshing. It could feel cold.

Except when the 100+ degree sun beats down on the water day after day and the outdoor temps never really go below the upper 70's at night....that water is going to warm up to well over 80 degrees. I can remember having to add huge bags of ice to our in-ground pool some summers because the water got too warm to feel refreshing....and we lived in Pennsylvania (and yes, I know our backyard pool was much smaller than the pools at Disney, but PA's temps are not nearly as warm as FL's). I would bet that the water in the AoA pools (at least Big Blue and the pool in the LM section) were well above 80 when we were there the other week. In fact, when we got out of the pool at night, we were freezing in the "cool" 80 degree air.

We live just a couple of miles from the MK. Our pool right now runs right about 85 degrees. A little lower in the morning, a little higher in the afternoon. I'd expect that the pools at the Disney resorts would be similar.

It was too warm for me last august. I prefer to stay inside or at least on a shaded area for our afternoon break and swim at night.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I was really interested to hear the different perspectives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter