Resort reviews, including BWV and OKW

CarnotaurDad

DIS Veteran
Posted on Resort Boards as well, but thought it also might be helpful here.

Background:
A wonderful 12 day vacation with me, DW and DD (5). My sister, brother in law and niece (5 months) join us later in the trip. We are DVC members and have previously stayed at Swan, POP, BCV, OKW and WL.

Plan:
7/28 - 7/30: POFQ
7/30 - 8/3: BWV (studio)
8/3 - 8/8: OKW (2 BR)

POFQ
We arrived around 7 PM and our room was ready. We made no requests except for non-smoking and we were assigned Building 7 (Room 7231).

Pros:
* Big rooms for a moderate. As a matter of fact, these rooms were bigger than the WL rooms we were in last year.
* Really, really, comfortable beds. Wow! They seemed to have a pillow-top mattress that made our sleep that much better.
* Great pillows! This is something that seemed to come up throughout the trip. WDW appears to have changed their pillows and they are fantastic to sleep on!
* Beautiful decorations in the room. Our room even had a Mardis Gras invitation from 1896!
* Pool was fantastic! The water slide was a great introduction for our daughter; not too fast and not too slow.

Cons:
* Not so much a con, but it had more of a romantic feel than a family Disney feel. I know this one will be hotly debated, but it just didn't feel "Disney" (which may be a good thing, for some people). If my wife and I were going on a romantic vacation, I would definitely choose it.
* Shared the bus with POR. POR has four stops and, depending on the traffic flow of the bus, it can take a LONG time to get to POFQ.
* Limited food court and no sit down dining. The food was good, but it was limited and you had to walk to POR for sit down dining.
* Dead frogs in the "Frog Pond" near building 7. Between buildings 7 and (I think) 4, there is a little cement (man made) water area. Frogs can hop in but they have no way to hop out. Thus, there were always some dead frogs in the water each time we walked by. We always tried to avert our DD's eyes and we don't think she really noticed.

BWV
We weren't sure what to expect with BWV. It was the only place we could get in at this time and we had heard very mixed reviews about it. Again, our only request was non-smoking studio so we had no real expectations. We checked in around 2 PM and our room was ready, room 2059. It was a "partial" Boardwalk view. We faced the Courtyard that was on the Boardwalk side, just above the Wyman (sic?) Gallery that sells the Dolphin paintings.

Pros:
* In a word, fun! It was a fun, fun, fun location. We could people watch from our balcony, enjoy the music, swim at Luna Park, walk to DS and Epcot, enjoy the Disney atmosphere (the bicycling Piano Man, Mr. Show, etc) all in one area. It was surprisingly fun!
* Great studio room. The layout for the studio was perfect. The bed wasn't quite as comfortable as POFQ, but it was still really comfortable. The pillows were just as great!
* Luna Park was fantastic! Great water slide and wonderful atmosphere.
* Great access to restaurants/carts on Boardwalk.
* Feeding Frenzy was at the BWV arcade. Yeah, this doesn't mean much to most people but our DD loves this game. It really helped her enjoy BWV.
* Fantastic way to pass the rain. We were able to sit on our balcony and just watch the rain come down in the afternoon and enjoy it.

Cons:
* Ummm......we didn't get to see the infamous bed bugs? Is that a con?
* The bathroom was smaller than the one we had at BCV studio.
* No hooks to hang our lanyards on (yeah, I'm reaching for that one).
* Now that we have been to BWV, we need to buy points there (yep! That's a BIG con).

OKW
We were meeting the rest of my family and moved to a 2BR at OKW. We checked in at 10 AM but the room wasn't ready until 2 PM (no big deal, we went to MK!). We had room 4623 and, again, the only request was non-smoking and it was met.

Pros:
* Relaxing, relaxing, relaxing. If BWV is fun (which it is), then OKW is relaxing. What a great place to spend the last days at a WDW vacation. The entire atmosphere is about kicking back and enjoying the environment.
* The new water slide is awesome. It is much faster than the others, but lots of fun!
* The rooms are, in a word, HUGE! We had more room in our kitchen/living room than either of the other rooms we are in. The beds were comfortable and the (new) pillows were fantastic.
* Balconies are also quite large. We spent many an afternoon/night just enjoying a beverage on the balcony and talking.
* Lots and lots of Welcome Homes. Maybe because it is primarily a DVC resort, we got Welcome Homes from everybody.
* Did we mention that it is relaxing.

Cons:
* Food service. Goods to Go is nice, but it would be great to order out ANYTHING from Olivia's. There is just a limited menu that can be ordered to go.
* Community Center could be bigger. Yep, we know it is the first one made but it is in dire need of expansion. The time we went was quite crowded.
* Gift store is a little too small. It could use a BCV-type renovation (add sandwiches and ice cream/gelato).

Overall, we had a fantastic time. If there is anything I can answer, let me know!

Wonderful report -thanks for all the details.

Best wishe s-

I'm glad you had such a nice, varied vacation! So many pros :sunny: I'm happy for you!

Bobbi :)

Thank you for taking the time to post about your resort stays. Glad you had a fantastic time!

Great report. Glad to hear you had a good vac :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Very nice report!

I had to laugh at your "cons" for BWV. Are you saying you really couldn't find any so you had to really stretch to come up with those? LOL!

And for all of the OKW vs BWV that I have ever read, I like yours the best. Fun and relaxing. No negatives on either side. Just fun or relaxing. It just sounds so much nicer than "too much hustle-bustle" or "for old folks" or "noisy" and "boring".

Fun. Relaxing.

Thanks!

Thanks for your report. As an OKW lover, I've never thought of any improvement it needed till you mentioned the gelato. Excellent suggestion!

Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone!

To answer kathleena, yep, we really had to stretch to come up with some at BWV. We were really quite surprised (in a good way).

What a lovely report. THoroughly enjoyed it!

I've got to ask though - what is "Feeding Frenzy"? Is that the game where you have to catch all the ping pong balls? If so my DDs love this as well!

Hi Miffy2003,

It is a video game where you are a fish and try to eat other fish to grow bigger (and avoid the bigger fish that could eat you). Our DD just loves it.

We stayed in 2059 at BWV on our first trip home as members. It really is in a great locale. Didn't have to worry about the elevators or long hallways ;)

It was a good introduction to DVC, even better was the fact that we were there in December.

Glad you had a good time.

Thanks for your great report. As a BWV owner that will be staying at OKW in November; I was very happy that your report of OKW is exactly the type of vacation that I need...Relaxing!

Thanks again for the wonderful report! :flower:

Yep, I already know I love BWV, but you're making me very happy that we're trying OKW for the first time next month.

Can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter