Resort Suggestions????

KyleRayner

DIS Veteran
I'm leaving for WDW on Dec. 2. Its my 8th trip to the "World" but my 1st trip as a DVC Member. My home resort is OKW, but on this trip I'm staying at Saratoga Springs. Next trip I would like to stay at either Beach Club Villas or Boardwalk Villas or my home resort Old Key West. Those were my 1st choices but they had no vacancies, so I settled for SSR. If by chance I get lucky and can get into BCV or BWV or OKW, would love suggestions on rooms/areas to request. My only preferences is that I'm as close to the Food Court area as possible and have a great view (e.g. fireworks at night, Epcot, Disney Studios).

Just out of curiosity as anyone stayed at the Wilderness Lodge Villas and what are the chances of getting a room with a view of Magic Kingdom?

VWL is on the eastern side of the Wilderness Lodge, therefore there is no way to see the MK from the villas.

Keep in mind that none of these resorts (VWL, BCV, BWV) have what I would call a "food court". They're deluxe resorts, with a counter service eatery (each), but no food court. In the case of BCV and VWL, the counter service eatery is pretty-much on the opposite side of the resort from the villas -- the difference in distance from one villa and another to the eatery is pretty insignificant. BWV doesn't even really have a counter service eatery, but there are places to eat on the BoardWalk, and what's available depends on the time of day.

When I say "food court", I just mean the place where you would go get something to eat or drink. There are times when you want to just run and get something quick to eat or drink and the last thing I want is to have to trek from 1 side of the resort to the other to get there, so I was just curious if there were rooms closer to wherever you go to eat or drink.

Yup, understood. It's strange... there are advantages and disadvantages to various rooms at all three locations, but proximity to counter-service dining is pretty much the same for all. I suppose the closer you are to the elevator at BWV, the closer you are to the BoardWalk, where the corn dog stand is, but truly, if counter-service dining is a priority for you, I think I'd make BWV your last choice of the three.

On Dec. 2nd I'm going on my 8th trip to WDW, but this will be my first trip as a DVC Member. My home resort is OKW, but this trip I'm staying at SSR. Would love to hear people's opinions on which DVC resort they like best and why, so I can use as a reference for future trips. Also if you have any tips on any specific areas/rooms to ask for at a particular DVC resort, I would love to hear about that as well. Thanks!

DH and I haven't stayed at all the resorts...but will share my thoughts on the ones we have stayed at:

Boardwalk Villas: LOVE this resort! It is a bustling place with lots going on. Pros: Lot's of activities, night-life, restaurnat choices, as well as a great location. You can walk to Epcot and MGM or take the boats, and we have always had excellent bus service to the other parks. We have stayed in a studio, 1-bedroom, and will stay in a 2-bedroom in June 2006 - all were wonderful! Cons: your room may be VERY far away from the main lobby. The hallways are long, and only one set of elevators may make the walk to your room a long one! If you stay here...make sure to ask for a room close to the elevators/lobby!

Beachclub Villas: This was a really beautiful resort. We stayed in a 1-bedroom shortly after it opened. Everything was so "new" - it was great. The short walk to Epcot was nice, and having the Boardwalk across the lake gave some good extra restaurant options and night-life activities! Due to this resort being in the same vicinity as BWV - I think I would choose BWV first, though. One big Pro for this resort is the pool - it is awesome!

Old Key West: We have stayed at this resort a few times, and really love it. It doesn't have that busy, hustle-bustle like atmosphere like BWV and BCV has. It is nice that it is a dedicated DVC place - you feel very much at home with all the "welcome home's" you get when you are there! The rooms are great - nice and big (and less points then all the others! More bang-for-your-point!) The 1/2-bedrooms seem HUGE compared to the other resorts. It is also nice that you can park right outside your room. My only Con is that you do seem a bit removed from the parks - although some trips we stay there b/c we want this! Once you are in your room for the night, there really is no option to go "walking" around like at the BWV. Also, there are not as many dining options as the other resorts.

The only other place we have stayed at is Vero Beach, our home resort. We stayed in an inn room for 3 nights before heading to Disney. It was beautiful! I highly recommend visiting this resort at some point!

Hope this helps! Have a great trip! :flower:

Great views - unless you book a Boardwalk View at Boardwalk villas - or get a DTD view at SSR (I don't actually find either view that great, but others do) - are not a selling point of DVC. A few rooms at BCVs give you a view of Spaceship Earth. The entire WL is tucked on the other side of Bay Lake, you can't see the MK from any of it (maybe some of the top floor rooms at the lodge you could see something....?)

Likewise, access to food, even a quick drink, isn't a selling point for DVC. With fridges in all the rooms, I think they figure you'll just pop a six pack in the fridge. We were far closer to the Boardwalk Bakery this last trip than any of the VWL rooms are to Roaring Forks.

Anywhere you stay you will find they all have there good and bad. Try them all and decide for yourself. But have a great vacation. :banana: :banana:

BCV's gift shop/quick sandwich/mug station is very close to the villas with the new renovation. We just walked across the breezeway from the villas and we were there. Loved it.

At the VWL we usually walk through the lobby to get to Roaring Forks for a quick bite. A longer walk, but very pleasant.

When we stayed at the BWV, we were right above the boardwalk, the view was beautiful looking out over the lake, but it was very noisy. You could hear the trash cans being emptied late at night. For this reason I would avoid the boardwalk view. But walking to EPCOT is great! And the bakery had awesome breakfast cakes.

I've heard wildly different reports, and had a wildly different experience with our BoardWalk view. We couldn't hear anything from the BoardWalk from our BoardWalk view villa at BWV, nor from our BoardWalk view room at BWI, and that was during the height of the activity, 10-11PM. Of course, this was with our balcony door closed and latched.

We were like 1 floor above the boardwalk and may have had our door open, I can't remember--all I remember was the noise. But it didn't spoil our vacation or anything, we still enjoyed it.

Yes, it sure makes sense that the noise reports would be related to the balcony door being open. Thanks for clarifying that.

Our doors at the BW were shut, and we thought it "noticably noisy, but not disturbing." Personally, I suspect it has to do with where you are in the resort (we were right about the screen door, which means we had the boat, the bells from the games, the performers right under us, and the traffic in and out of the Screen Door). I also suspect it has to do with what you are used to. I'm a suburban girl now, and I'm used to crickets and frogs - but even the 'burbs are noisy compared to where my parents live. When I was in the city, I could sleep through sirens.

Oh yes! The boat can definitely be heard through even a closed balcony door. I think we could hear the boat from the parking lot view rooms, as well! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter