Resort Survey ... on Resort Fees

I mean, I would hope you would be right, but I can't see why. This stuff isn't included in Maint Fees, or in the contracts themselves.

Disney is switching more and more rooms to DVC, this would be a great revenue stream for them. Heck it might even be to try and bring in more revenue from those rooms which sold on contract years and years ago but dues obv haven't been able to increase in price like Disney has increased the price of rooms.

I would think that even if these didn't apply to DVC on launch, I bet they would eventually, a year, 2, 3 maybe down the road. Maybe first discounted, and then slowly creep up.

But, I also wouldn't be surprised if they just applied right out of the gate. What are we going to do, sell our DVC packages ? Great, sell em, Disney doesn't care, as long as someone buys them, rents, them, shows up and pays the resort fee, Disney would be ahead.
I think if they do add this to DVC it would be a yearly fee not a 15 dollar fee every time you stay. It's likely it would be just added to your yearly dues. Still I think DVC won't get the fee in the way it's being presented.

I mean, I would hope you would be right, but I can't see why. This stuff isn't included in Maint Fees, or in the contracts themselves.

Disney is switching more and more rooms to DVC, this would be a great revenue stream for them. Heck it might even be to try and bring in more revenue from those rooms which sold on contract years and years ago but dues obv haven't been able to increase in price like Disney has increased the price of rooms.

I would think that even if these didn't apply to DVC on launch, I bet they would eventually, a year, 2, 3 maybe down the road. Maybe first discounted, and then slowly creep up.

But, I also wouldn't be surprised if they just applied right out of the gate. What are we going to do, sell our DVC packages ? Great, sell em, Disney doesn't care, as long as someone buys them, rents, them, shows up and pays the resort fee, Disney would be ahead.

Not that I'd rule it out, but I don't think they need to. They have a considerable leeway in how they can increase maintenance fees so it would be just as easy to up those.

It's definitely won't make me write up a YAGE post, but it would make me choose to stay a day less. Usually we stay 12 days at WL in August. With the ticket price increases the last two years we have knocked off two days for this years trip. The cost of this isn't a deal breaker for me, but I am going to find a way to adjust the cost of our trip each time Disney finds a way to increase it. I can live with cost increases if I am getting more more value for them, but with Disney lately it's the exact opposite.

maybe i didn't look hard enough when booking last year, but we did have to pay a resort fee at the Hilton there. Most of the other properties I checked had one too...care to share what property this is so I can check their rates next visit?

This is from last time I was comparing but sure it is about the same.
B will often offer deals waiving fees, I've stayed without any. Agree check Mousesavers.

- Hilton = Resort fee and Parking fee.
- B Resort = Resort fee and Parking fee, sometimes waived with specials.
- Holiday Inn = No Resort fee but has Parking fee.
- Doubletree Suites = No Resort fee but has Parking fee.
- Best Western = Resort fee but no Parking fee.
- Wyndham = Resort fee and Parking fee.
- Buena Vista Palace = **Hilton bought, major construction happening
.... so now not seeing a resort fee coming up and no parking fee. This could change when it's done.

B will often offer deals waiving fees, I've stayed without any. Agree check Mousesavers.

.... so now not seeing a resort fee coming up and no parking fee. This could change when it's done.

I was questioning the poster re the daytona hotel mentioned

Hilton Bonnett Creek has fees in place as does the Wyndham unless rented thru timeshare.

I agree. The DL Hotel in CA has a self-parking fee of $18/day that is waived for DVC Members staying on points.

I bet things that are covered by dues would be graciously "Waived" for DVC. Parking lot maintenance is probably part of dues. What I think will happen is they charge DVC for Magical express.

I personally go out of my way to avoid resort fees, as one poster said they are offensive. Sometimes I can sometimes I can't, but I always figured that WDW hotels had one in the already inflated price.

This is anecdotal and the numbers reported on these boards disagree but it seems to me a lot of people are deciding to stay off property(based on those I talk to at home), this is just one more thing to push them there.

Last edited:
I doubt may people will take precipitous action just based on a survey. Part of the purpose of these surveys is to gauge what the reaction to a change like this would be. Hopefully there was enough negative reaction on this one they won't go forward with it.

I'm guessing part of the thought was that they could artificially "lower" room rates by offloading some of the charges. My guess is that when booking the big number you'd see would be the room rate and then the other stuff would be tacked on in the shopping cart (rather like with airlines).
But with airlines in the U.S. they can't do that anymore (as of 2012). They have to be upfront with what other fees and taxes they charge and they have to breakdown those charges for you. It used to be that you saw a price and when you went to book THEN you saw the added taxes and fees tacked on at the end. They have to be more transparent with that stuff now.

If you go to book a flight with SWA the price you see is the price you pay..at the end you see how much of your total was comprised of taxes and fees but that is not added ontop of your flight price.

upload_2016-3-11_12-41-24.png

upload_2016-3-11_12-44-18.png

To use another airline here's Delta:
upload_2016-3-11_12-47-33.png
upload_2016-3-11_12-48-54.png

Now wouldn't it just be nice if hotels were made to do the same thing?

Hilton Bonnett Creek has fees in place as does the Wyndham unless rented thru timeshare.

I've always wanted to try Hilton Bonnet Creek. Even if there's a discount, you have to add on a $25/night resort fee and a $18/night parking fee. :faint:

I've always wanted to try Hilton Bonnet Creek. Even if there's a discount, you have to add on a $25/night resort fee and a $18/night parking fee.

there's a deal now thru travelzoo. I saw $125 night for weekend dates early in May, plus the fees but still less than a disney moderate.

But with airlines in the U.S. they can't do that anymore (as of 2012). They have to be upfront with what other fees and taxes they charge and they have to breakdown those charges for you. It used to be that you saw a price and when you went to book THEN you saw the added taxes and fees tacked on at the end. They have to be more transparent with that stuff now.

If you go to book a flight with SWA the price you see is the price you pay..at the end you see how much of your total was comprised of taxes and fees but that is not added ontop of your flight price.

View attachment 155910

View attachment 155912

To use another airline here's Delta:
View attachment 155913
View attachment 155914

Yeah but I was just using them as an example. They did it for years.

I think we did this in Canada too ...

It's interesting to examine this from the perspective of the number of onsite rooms in each resort category.

Touring Plans lists the number of rooms at each resort on property here.

Category____Num of Rooms % of Total Rooms
Values-------10,308--------37%
Moderates----7,492---------27%
Deluxe--------5,652---------20%
Deluxe Villas---4,164--------15%
Total---------27,616

Assuming a consistent 90% occupancy rate across all resort categories for 365 nights, a $15/night resort fee produces the following revenue annually:
Values-------$50,792,670
Moderates---$36,916,830
Deluxe-------$27,850,230
Deluxe Villas--$20,518,110
Total-------$136,077,840

Because Values make up the majority of the rooms on property, Value resort guests would provide the majority of the revenue from a nightly resort fee.

The room counts for Deluxe Villas would be less of a factor in reality, since I expect the majority of those rooms would be filled by DVC reservations, not cash reservations subject to a resort fee. That would only exacerbate the proportion of total resort fees paid by Value resort guests.

Also, as previous posters have pointed out, a $15 resort fee is also a significantly higher percentage of the nightly cost of a Value resort room than it is for other, more expensive resort categories.

EDIT-formatting

Stayed at Doubletree one night because I came in a day early. Great deal with Mousesavers. Free breakfast and a room discount.
I don't use a car at Wdw. The DTD hotels have decent bus service, running every 30 min, so I prob wouldn't rent a car staying there.
Got 1 bedroom suite and free breakfast for the price of a Wdw value resort, and could walk to DTD.

If Disney continues with crazy price hikes, and adds resort fees,(wow for our usual 2 week stay that would really add up) staying at Doubletree would be a viable option.

I don't even mind if it's the cost of doing Disney World because they are hurting - but it's not. With 90% occupancy, parks bursting at the seams, all numbers up ........... they are doing this to save the Shanghai budget.

New mantra "We just got Shanghai-ed" o_O

Seems to me that Walt Disney World is the cash cow that current execs seem intent on slaughtering.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter