Ressie but Disney will possibly limit # of guests....

kbeam

Don't get saucy with me, Bernaise.
If Disney limits the # of guests (once they reopen), how do you think they'll handle having to cancel some reservations and not others? We have a Sept. visit planned, and we're wondering how (and if) they'll decide what reservations to leave in place, what ones to cancel...and what, if anything, to offer those whose reservations were canceled. Maybe they'll request volunteers first (like airlines bumping people)? And will they offer something in lieu of? Flight refunds? Annual Passes? Fast Passes?

They are unlikely to limit reservations at DVC resorts, because they legally cannot. And you won't get compensated.

Isn't ti the parks they are talking about limiting not the resorts?
Could be both. They could decide to open the parks but limit them to, let’s say 30% capacity, and only permit onsite guests in during the initial phase. In order to limit that number of onsite guests, they could reduce resort capacity for the hotel rooms by taking fewer reservations. DVC is a different story. They cannot limit reservations, as @_auroraborealis_ said.

They can limit what you do at the resorts. They can limit you going to a park or DS. But they cannot restrict a DVC resort to 50% capacity.

They won't compensate if you cannot get into a park or DS. Or if the pool is at capacity.

Some of the other TS systems such as Marriott are limiting checkins to owners and exchangers and cancelling guests (which would include renters). DVC could do something similar.

I don't even care about getting into the parks. That is what is so great about owning DVC. We can go so often, that if we miss an opportunity to visit a park, there is always another trip. I know there are new rides that are now open that were not open last year when I was there, but honestly, just hanging out at the resort for a week would be a great vacation for me. Smelling that Disney air and eating outside the parks is a fine trip. I could maybe relax enough to get back into reading.

Wife and I had this discussion a few days ago. We also have a late Sept. res. and hope to go, but our question is, how will they limit park access? Our already- purchased tickets from a cancelled May trip are extended 'til the end of the year. Will it be Disney hotel guests only? I'd hate to get there and be told we can't get into the parks.

Wife and I had this discussion a few days ago. We also have a late Sept. res. and hope to go, but our question is, how will they limit park access? Our already- purchased tickets from a cancelled May trip are extended 'til the end of the year. Will it be Disney hotel guests only? I'd hate to get there and be told we can't get into the parks.

It could be how they handle it at peak times. First come first serve? Once X amount of people are thru the gate, they close due to capacity. I have heard they have done that many times on Christmas day and other peak days.

This may be a nightmare and not worth it, but they could count people like Walmart is doing. When they have reached capacity, they hold the line back. As people exit, they let people in. So if 20 people exit, 20 people go in. Could be a real cluster, so that probably won't happen.

According to the contract, they can limit DVC Member reservations based on guidelines from “federal, state & local government.” It’s in the Force Majeure section of the contract none of us read. And this was outlined from the first task force meeting. I’m not an attorney, just a very annoyed member by the lack of communication by DVC.

I went ahead, yesterday, and canceled the trip. We're already losing airfare, another trip out of our APs and TIW card...I didn't want to lose points, too. The thought of walking around in the heat with a mask on...not to mention, there is NO WAY we'd get our 3 year old grandson to keep his on....does not make for an enjoyable trip. Even eating in the restaurants...I've read the virus spread through ductwork. I'd be on constant edge. So...if anyone's looking for a late Sept trip, there's 4 studios available at BRV. :)

I went ahead, yesterday, and canceled the trip. We're already losing airfare, another trip out of our APs and TIW card...I didn't want to lose points, too. The thought of walking around in the heat with a mask on...not to mention, there is NO WAY we'd get our 3 year old grandson to keep his on....does not make for an enjoyable trip. Even eating in the restaurants...I've read the virus spread through ductwork. I'd be on constant edge. So...if anyone's looking for a late Sept trip, there's 4 studios available at BRV. :)

At least your TIW & AP are extended....not very comforting, I know. That stinks. I’m holding out to see what happens. I have 3 separate reservations in Sept for different resorts. Only one-way airfare. I’m not that optimistic. I’m also from NY. We’re all being treated like Typhoid Mary.

According to the contract, they can limit DVC Member reservations based on guidelines from “federal, state & local government.” It’s in the Force Majeure section of the contract none of us read. And this was outlined from the first task force meeting. I’m not an attorney, just a very annoyed member by the lack of communication by DVC.
They have emergency powers to close the resort but once open, the language does not support a partial opening.

So, they have to allow the booking of rooms. Since we are not guaranteed anything but a room, they can limit parks and access to pools, community hall, TOWL, etc.

But once it’s deemed safe to open the resort for stays, they’d have to allow full occupancy.

At least your TIW & AP are extended....not very comforting, I know. That stinks. I’m holding out to see what happens. I have 3 separate reservations in Sept for different resorts. Only one-way airfare. I’m not that optimistic. I’m also from NY. We’re all being treated like Typhoid Mary.
I believe they're only extending those the # of months Disney is closed. Will be useless to us by the time we go.

It is starting to get a little frustrating we are not hearing anything from DVC.

We all know we are separate from the Parks so we should be treated seperatl since we do have an ownership.

It is starting to get a little frustrating we are not hearing anything from DVC.

We all know we are separate from the Parks so we should be treated seperatl since we do have an ownership.
Agreed 100%. Especially since we have a continued financial obligation. Dues and/or mortgages. But if no one lets DVC know that they are questioning their business practices, nothing will change. Today is day 62 of resort closure. We received one email, telling us they were going to limit our use when open at day 35.

They have emergency powers to close the resort but once open, the language does not support a partial opening.

So, they have to allow the booking of rooms. Since we are not guaranteed anything but a room, they can limit parks and access to pools, community hall, TOWL, etc.

But once it’s deemed safe to open the resort for stays, they’d have to allow full occupancy.
They specifically address “federal, state & local” guidelines. So they can either follow those guidelines or keep the resort closed. I’m not arguing. But the single paragraph in the contract is specifically broad. Epidemics could mean a zombie apocalypse. That’s the ridiculousness of it.
I did ask an attorney. Pro bono. 😁
Read from “limited” to “governmental authority.”CDEAE1FE-72BE-45EA-B4A2-FC86AD69BF82.jpeg

Piggy-backing on comment from @CarolynFH , above, regarding how other timeshare are handling phased re-opening.

Worldmark by Wyndham has a helpful page of COVID-19 information/status updates and recently sent out a letter outlining how reduced occupancy will be conducted:
Snippet from WMbW email to Owners said:
We’re limiting occupancy to ensure we’re able to facilitate social distancing and help owners limit the amount of queues and gatherings they encounter during their stay.
<snip>
Due to these efforts, that means there are existing reservations we are unable to currently accommodate, even when resorts are beginning to reopen. In the initial phases of reopening, owner reservations are being prioritized over all other reservation types, including rental, exchange, and guest reservations. In instances where we must impact owner reservations, we’re preserving those reservations made most in advance. If you have an upcoming reservation planned, we’ll send you an email a few weeks prior to your check-in date with an update on your reservation status.
This was just a snippet from the letter so it may not provide full context or answer all questions. I pasted only the section addressing how the existing reservations will be thinned-down to reduce occupancy.

Edited to add: Given the above, I rather expect my two upcoming reservations at a nearby coastal property to be cancelled. Yes, I’m an owner but I booked these summer weekends rather recently at a property that typically fills at the earliest reservation window. I’m certain I’m at the wrong end of the queue (last in, first cancelled)?

Last edited:
They specifically address “federal, state & local” guidelines. So they can either follow those guidelines or keep the resort closed. I’m not arguing. But the single paragraph in the contract is specifically broad. Epidemics could mean a zombie apocalypse. That’s the ridiculousness of it.
I did ask an attorney. Pro bono. 😁
Read from “limited” to “governmental authority.”View attachment 496027

That would not allow them to limit for some owners and.Not others in this situation unless specific units are no longer in service. So, if a hurricane damages part of the resort, then owners of those specific units may be limited. However, as long as the resort rooms are not deemed damaged and a resort opens, they can not arbitrarily take rooms out of service.

When I contacted DCV and asked about all of this it is the emergency powers section that allowed them to close and it guides the reopening along with the property management contract that is with Disney.

It is why there is nothing they can communicate to DVC members about opening until the government approves plans for Disney to run things safely.

Piggy-backing on comment from @CarolynFH , above, regarding how other timeshare are handling phased re-opening.

Worldmark by Wyndham has a helpful page of COVID-19 information/status updates and recently sent out a letter outlining how reduced occupancy will be conducted:
This was just a snippet from the letter so it may not provide full context or answer all questions. I pasted only the section addressing how the existing reservations will be thinned-down to reduce occupancy.

Edited to add: Given the above, I rather expect my two upcoming reservations at a nearby coastal property to be cancelled. Yes, I’m an owner but I booked these summer weekends rather recently at a property that typically fills at the earliest reservation window. I’m certain I’m at the wrong end of the queue (last in, first cancelled)?

Thank you for sharing this. Maybe this is the route they’ll go. Not ideal, but an answer. I wonder if it would be actual members that get to keep reservations & that other will be canceled by date. Just thinking aloud as DVC has, again, shared nothing 😁

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter