Restaurants for Seniors

musicmom3331

Mouseketeer
I am a senior female, and will be going solo to Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom in December. What reservation-required restaurants would you recommend?
Thanks!

I won't "officially" be a senior until July, but have done many solo trips. In Animal Kingdom, I would recommend Yak & Yeti. They have a varied menu and it has many interesting artifacts in the restaurant. I've had great service there as well. Hollywood Studios, having 'solo-ed' them all, I'd think Hollywood Brown Derby would be a good choice. Also a varied menu...a little more pricey than others, but very good food and service. No matter where you go, I hope you have a great trip.

Not enough info to make recommendations. What are your tastes, likes, dislikes, restrictions, budget, etc., etc.

Best bet is to review the menu at each TS restaurant to decide if you like the offerings and price. As a solo diner, you won't have any problem at any TS restaurant. Some even have a bar where you can eat at if you desire.

DW and I are in our 60s. We like a TS lunch and dinner to break up the heat and 10 mile walk.

Tiffins or Yak and Yeti @ AK.
Can be spicy if you're sensitive.

Sci Fi, Mama Melrose and 50s Prime Time @Studios are both nostalgic and tasty.

Having been as a solo female, I've enjoyed Yak and Yeti in Animal Kingdom. Hollywood Studios is tough to recommend, since I don't go there very often. But I like "Prime Time" because I remember "Idlewild Airport" and can sing along to the theme song, "Car 54, where are you?" from memory.

So…Going to Prime Time isn’t weird as a solo diner?

Actually, it wasn't weird at all. The server was very cordial, but initially he didn't do any of the typical "antics" until I started joking about "Cousin" this or that to kind of let him know it was OK. I've eaten there twice as a solo, and both times was like that-no antics until they got a feel that it was OK with me.

I won't "officially" be a senior until July, but have done many solo trips. In Animal Kingdom, I would recommend Yak & Yeti. They have a varied menu and it has many interesting artifacts in the restaurant. I've had great service there as well. Hollywood Studios, having 'solo-ed' them all, I'd think Hollywood Brown Derby would be a good choice. Also a varied menu...a little more pricey than others, but very good food and service. No matter where you go, I hope you have a great trip.
My two picks as well.

What does being a senior have to do with where you eat? We’re in our late 60s. We eat at restaurants that have menus we like. The only restaurants in WDW that are geared to guests of a certain age are V & A, Monsieur Paul & the bar at Poly (don’t remember the name, coz I’m a senior citizen). And those are because they don’t want young kids, not because they’re geared to seniors.

I am a senior female, and will be going solo to Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom in December. What reservation-required restaurants would you recommend?
Thanks!
Tiffins is always good in AK. I eat there solo every trip. Treat you right . Make you feel comfortable and usually not crowded or noisy

I have eaten solo in Sci Fi diner, who needs conversation when you can watch all the old movie clips and adverts. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

I've also eaten solo at Yak & Yeti restaurant because I really wanted the lo mein they stopped selling at QS years ago. I would eat there again solo for the food, but not necessarily for the atmosphere.

For our generation…and if you ever went to a drive in movie as a child…Must go to ScI Fi…it can be hard to get a reservation but you can also try for Walk up dining.
The “cars” in the Sci Fi are the dining table and the cars seat 6 ( 2 in front,2 in middle and 2 in backseat) but occasionally a family of less than 6 will “ pick up a hitch-hiker” .You would be seated in back row and waitstaff will give you your separate check. Be sure to ask for a Sci Fi drivers license .

Whenever I go solo to Yak& Yeti inside AK, I ask to be seated at the bar . They do also have small tables for 2 on the upper level .So you would be fine dining as a single almost anywhere.

lately, I find it easierto just get something at one of the Starbucks on property.
Main Street Bakery is a STarbucks and they have more than just coffee… they have tomato soup& grilled cheese for example . Take your order to the yellow umbrellas further down Main Street and enjoy a view of the Castle .
At Epcot they recently opened a new dining venue called Connections Cafe next to Spaceship Earth . It is huge and great place to people watch .
Also AK has seating outside the Starbucks and so does HS location.
At Epcot, I always eat in France at the LaBoulangerie for great French bread sandwiches or just a mini loaf and butter!
When the Creperie first opened, I dined and asked for a window seat and enjoyed the crepes and coffee and felt like I was actually in France.

Last edited:
Highly recommend Tiffins at AK. Cool, dark and quiet. Excellent service and food.

I have eaten solo in Sci Fi diner, who needs conversation when you can watch all the old movie clips and adverts. Would do it again in a heartbeat.
I've always thought that Sci Fi dine in is the best place for solo diners who might be uncomfortable with solo dining. It's just like sitting in front of the TV while you eat-and who hasn't done that.

You'll be comfortable at any HS restaurant. Go where you want, what looks great to you.

Senior or not you will always be a kid at Disney : ) Now at AK I would highly recommend Yak and Yeti. If you can't get a reservation off the Disney website go direct to the restaurants sight and book there. If you want some fun at a character meal I would do Tusker House especially if you are food adventurous. At HS I love a good Sci Fi as you might enjoy the drive in theater and eating in a car or the tried and true Brown Derby. Enjoy your trip!

We recently did several weeks at Disney. I’m 65 and DH is 77. I was often solo in the parks. My favorites were Nomad Lounge, Tiffins, Satuli Canteen for AK, San Angel, Spice Road Table , Shika Sai LesHalles and Festival booths at Epcot. Brown Derby, Brown Derby Lounge, Baseline and Ronto Roasters at HS, and Skipper Canteen at MK. I like all the lounges at the hotels, and for DS Boathouse on porch outside, Jock Lindsay’s, Boathouse bar and Homecomin bar were my favorites.

We recently did several weeks at Disney. I’m 65 and DH is 77. I was often solo in the parks. My favorites were Nomad Lounge, Tiffins, Satuli Canteen for AK, San Angel, Spice Road Table , Shika Sai LesHalles and Festival booths at Epcot. Brown Derby, Brown Derby Lounge, Baseline and Ronto Roasters at HS, and Skipper Canteen at MK. I like all the lounges at the hotels, and for DS Boathouse on porch outside, Jock Lindsay’s, Boathouse bar and Homecomin bar were my favorites.

See, I’m 67, my husband 68. Of all the places you listed, my husband & I would only eat at HBD, Homecomin & Boathouse. The menus at the other places don’t appeal to us at all. That’s why I don’t understand why age has anything to do with what restaurants you patronize. Tastes vary no matter what age you are.

I’m 71 and solo several times a year. Have such fond memories of my folks bundling my brother and me into our pajamas then heading to the drive/in… so for me Sci Fi is a must do. AK is Yak & Yeti… it’s all about the ahi tuna nachos!

On this trip my DH was working on recovering from a broken hip, which certainly impacted the restaurants we liked when together. Tiffins was fabulous because the tables were further apart and it was quieter. Le Cellier was horridly crowded and lots of screaming kids. The constant caregiving I’d been giving for 6 months heavily influenced my desire just to move into Nomad or Jock Lindsay’s and never ever leave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter