Restaurants near Florida state and UF

Minnie824

DIS Veteran
We’re doing some college tours soon at Florida state and university of Florida. Anyone familiar with the areas and have any restaurant recommendations?

We’re doing some college tours soon at Florida state and university of Florida. Anyone familiar with the areas and have any restaurant recommendations?

I've never been to FSU, but I've been to Gainesville several times and have never been to a restaurant there that I WASN'T disappointed in. The food there is just...not good. I'm sure there are decent restaurants but I haven't found them yet. Oh, you could go to the original Sonny's. They have decent BBQ and going to the original one is kind of fun. There is a decent burger place, although I can't remember what it's called.

All kinds of places just like any other place. Good luck! You’ll need a 4. something a very high class ranking and a very high SAT.

All kinds of places just like any other place. Good luck! You’ll need a 4. something a very high class ranking and a very high SAT.

That’s rather discouraging, not what OP asked, and also not, in my experience, true. I know a ton of people, including my brother, that have gone to FSU or UF and I promise they weren’t in that position when they applied.

That’s rather discouraging, not what OP asked, and also not, in my experience, true. I know a ton of people, including my brother, that have gone to FSU or UF and I promise they weren’t in that position when they applied.
They would have to be now. I’m sure the poster knows this. Mine went through it all a few years ago. Two that I know were turned down by UF, one now has a maters at Notre Dame the other from Duke. Oh, being a 5 star football player out of high school could get a person in as well

There is a Ted’s Montana Grill (quality food and some bison entrees too if you like that), 4 Rivers BBQ is good (a small Florida chain I believe). Since we are so close to the coast, there are some good locally owned seafood places-The Wharf, The Other Seineyard, Shell Oyster Bar (kind of a hole in the wall place but good seafood, cash only there). For Italian, there is Village Pizza and Riccardos both local. A good breakfast place is Canopy Road Cafe, four locations around town I think.
I’ll try to come up with some more. There are most of the usual national chains also.

I forgot to say this Is Tallahassee.

There is a Ted’s Montana Grill (quality food and some bison entrees too if you like that), 4 Rivers BBQ is good (a small Florida chain I believe). Since we are so close to the coast, there are some good locally owned seafood places-The Wharf, The Other Seineyard, Shell Oyster Bar (kind of a hole in the wall place but good seafood, cash only there). For Italian, there is Village Pizza and Riccardos both local. A good breakfast place is Canopy Road Cafe, four locations around town I think.
I’ll try to come up with some more. There are most of the usual national chains also.

I forgot to say this Is Tallahassee.

What do you recommend within walking distance of the basketball arena? We go up there every other year to watch FSU play UNC & stay at least 2 nights. We stay at the Residence Inn, across the street from the arena, so we can easily walk to the game. We usually end up going to Warhorse Whiskey Bar, at least once & get food from the attached restaurant, because it's so convenient. We'd like to find some more restaurants within easy walking distance, so we can skip that one though.

OP, we love Shula's 247 & thought Kool Beanz Cafe was really good. We haven't tried anything on the campus that we'd recommend for any other reason than convenience. Hopefully, people here can give us both suggestions for places to try on campus.

Yes, Maple Street is great! I had forgotten about them.

I am not really that familiar with the campus area. There is a Harry’s Seafood Bar and Grille that might be within walking distance. Andrew’s is a little farther but might be walkable.

Yes, Maple Street is great! I had forgotten about them.

I am not really that familiar with the campus area. There is a Harry’s Seafood Bar and Grille that might be within walking distance. Andrew’s is a little farther but might be walkable.

Thanks. Shell Oyster Bar peaked our interest. It appears there's one on FAMU way that's within walking distance of the hotel. Is it the one you're talking about? If so, would you recommend walking there, from the Residence Inn across from Donald Tucker Civic Center?

Momo’s for pizza and Harry’s is very good also as recommended above.

My kids go to college in St Augustine but if there is a Maole Street Biscuit Company and a Harry’s Seafood near you -GO! Two of my favorites in St Augustine. I’m dreaming of the “sticky maple” right now!

My kids love to stop at Voodoo dog in Tallahassee. It is a dive but a fun place to go for an inexpensive lunch.

56041DB7-B74C-4E7F-AB47-5720FB71AC26.jpeg
The attached photo shows Shell Oyster Bar in relation to your hotel. I think it would be a little too far to walk but others in better shape might disagree. And the walk back to the hotel is mostly uphill.
Gaines St. is full of trendy shops, bars and restaurants but I haven’t been to any personally to recommend.

On second thought I think it’s way too far to walk and some of that area is more “industrial”, warehouses, repair shops etc.

Last edited:
A must when you are in Tally.Kool Beanz Cafe DD went to FSU ( Go 'Noles) and we loved this restaurant. FSU is a beautiful school and far more up to date than UF. Dorms at UF have not changed since the 50's. The tour at FSU is on an air conditioned bus, UF is a walking tour.
www.koolbeanz-cafe.com

Great food but you need to get there when it opens.

View attachment 394429
The attached photo shows Shell Oyster Bar in relation to your hotel. I think it would be a little too far to walk but others in better shape might disagree. And the walk back to the hotel is mostly uphill.
Gaines St. is full of trendy shops, bars and restaurants but I haven’t been to any personally to recommend.

On second thought I think it’s way too far to walk and some of that area is more “industrial”, warehouses, repair shops etc.

Good point about the uphill walk. I've lived in flat areas for so long that I often forget to take that into consideration. We may still give it a try for lunch one day.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! We'll definitely check these out!

And P'colaBeachBum i did not realize the FSU tour is by bus! That will be nice since unfortunately it looks like rain on our visit day.

They would have to be now. I’m sure the poster knows this. Mine went through it all a few years ago. Two that I know were turned down by UF, one now has a maters at Notre Dame the other from Duke. Oh, being a 5 star football player out of high school could get a person in as well

this is offensive. My son is a heavily recruited QB, like BIG TIME. No one and I mean NO one will take him without grades. All the Ivy's wanted him but he's not an Ivy student. Sure one or two may fall through the crack, but any student athlete now a days is just that, a STUDENT ATHLETE.

this is offensive. My son is a heavily recruited QB, like BIG TIME. No one and I mean NO one will take him without grades. All the Ivy's wanted him but he's not an Ivy student. Sure one or two may fall through the crack, but any student athlete now a days is just that, a STUDENT ATHLETE.
I’m sorry but you are wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter