Retirement changes everything.

As much as I love the room sizes and points chart at OKW, the lack of elevator has prevented us from adding there. I agree as we get older, elevators are necessary. Even carrying a carry on luggage can be challenge going up 2-3 flights.
Yes, but remember that more than 1/3 of OKW rooms are on the ground floor. For years I had to request first floor, non-HA room, traveling with my mom who had 3 hip surgeries and needed a wheelchair in the parks, and never did I have a problem getting a ground floor room. And now I travel with someone that is needing a scooter, and I still haven't had a problem getting a ground floor room.

Just returned from a one bedroom at OKW. The room was great. The porch was really big and great views. We did have a car, so a few of the places we went we drove instead of waiting for a bus, Hoop Dee Doo, Disney Springs. Glad we purchased there to use for a grand villa to bring our whole family.

Just returned from a one bedroom at OKW. The room was great. The porch was really big and great views. We did have a car, so a few of the places we went we drove instead of waiting for a bus, Hoop Dee Doo, Disney Springs. Glad we purchased there to use for a grand villa to bring our whole family.
There are definitely pros and cons to OKW (actually, for all resorts!), but we do enjoy the rooms at OKW - the only resort we find ourselves taking time to enjoy dining at times on the porch! A very roomy and peaceful place to enjoy. And even though I don't play anymore, I enjoy watching the golfers go by sometimes!

There are definitely pros and cons to OKW (actually, for all resorts!), but we do enjoy the rooms at OKW - the only resort we find ourselves taking time to enjoy dining at times on the porch! A very roomy and peaceful place to enjoy. And even though I don't play anymore, I enjoy watching the golfers go by sometimes!
We had our breakfast on the porch almost every morning. Very relaxing.

We had requested an elevator building, when we got there the did not have a room for all the days we were there so we got a 1st floor which was just great. Parked right outside our door.

15 months into retirement and I find I am traveling more than staying home. Have been to Disneyland 4 times, Disney World 3 times, Hilton Head Island 2 times and Vero Beach 1 time along with many other non Disney trips. I don’t know how I fit work in. There are just not enough hours in a day….. as long as I am healthy (which I work at it) I will continue to enjoy my retirement traveling.

It's so good to see posts like this!🥰 Congratulations on your retirement! And thank you for the update post otherwise I wouldn't have seen this thread at all. Hope you and your wife will continue to enjoy all your retirement adventures! I'm very envious and hope my husband and I can do the same when we retire (we got many many more years to go!).

It's so good to see posts like this!🥰 Congratulations on your retirement! And thank you for the update post otherwise I wouldn't have seen this thread at all. Hope you and your wife will continue to enjoy all your retirement adventures! I'm very envious and hope my husband and I can do the same when we retire (we got many many more years to go!).
Thank you for reading. Time goes so fast. I was 21 yesterday and then I blinked. Gotta stop blinking.

This has been delightful to read. My husband retires in two years. Unfortunately I have about a decade to go. That said, I can work from my hotel room and enjoy evenings in the parks lol. Right now we have almost 500 points and my snowbird goal is 1000 so we can stay close to eight weeks in the winter. We live in Maine and winter can be fierce up here. I look forward to creating amazing memories with my grandkids.

This has been delightful to read. My husband retires in two years. Unfortunately I have about a decade to go. That said, I can work from my hotel room and enjoy evenings in the parks lol. Right now we have almost 500 points and my snowbird goal is 1000 so we can stay close to eight weeks in the winter. We live in Maine and winter can be fierce up here. I look forward to creating amazing memories with my grandkids.
My goal was the month of February, but the point chart makes mid-January to mid-February a better option while meeting my objective.

That was my original plan, but then I realized that I would rather, at least for now, to go monthly for 3 or 4 nights instead! So, December to March every year is the plan now!!! And, then a early summer and fall trip as well, if we don't go anywhere else!!!

Last year, it was awesome to get away and then get home and know in less than a month, I would be back....

That was my original plan, but then I realized that I would rather, at least for now, to go monthly for 3 or 4 nights instead! So, December to March every year is the plan now!!! And, then a early summer and fall trip as well, if we don't go anywhere else!!!

Last year, it was awesome to get away and then get home and know in less than a month, I would be back....
If we didn't live so far away, that's what I would do too! We need to drive 2 hours to get to the airport and there are no direct flights out of our small airport in Bangor. As Mainers say "can't get there from here". It's accurate lol.

If we didn't live so far away, that's what I would do too! We need to drive 2 hours to get to the airport and there are no direct flights out of our small airport in Bangor. As Mainers say "can't get there from here". It's accurate lol.

That makes a difference....I am 20 minutes from SYR airport and we have both Southwest and Jetblue now flying direct daily so it does help ALOT making these trips happen!!!

Here I sit at my desk at 63 and will be 64 next month. I could retire, but still working to pay things off. Would rather retire with a clean slate than lots of bills.
I retired on my 67th birthday. Clean slate is the way to go. Before I retired I had a great job and only worked part time. 2 or 3 days a week. After COVID they were so short staffed I was scheduled 5 and 6 days a week. No matter how much I reminded them I was part time they would tell me they were sorry but they really needed me. So I finally got tired of reminding them with no results I gave my 2 weeks notice and told them now you’re even shorter. Over a year now and I love being retired. I worked since I was 8 years old. (PaperBoy) I am never bored in fact most days I can’t believe the day is over already.

What a fantastic read. Thank you for sharing, brought tears to my eyes and a smile on my face! Hoping to kickoff this venture for my family soon :)

Oh yeah, I guess I should update our point situation. We purchased a contract at OKW since the 3 bedroom villas cost less points than any other resort. This is for us to bring everyone for our family vacations. As for selling off our Boardwalk points….. well we attend Food and Wine every year so we decided to keep that contract too. The OKW contract doesn’t expire until 2050’s and our Animal Kingdom contract is good until the 2050’s. We included our kids and grandkids (all adults) on the contract so when we are gone they can still enjoy all the fun they all had growing up. We are lucky since they all still enjoy going to Disney to this day and why not, they grew up with Disney.

As you get older, you start to think things differently. I retired in April and my wife will retire some time next year. We have been DVC owners for many years and our family has enjoyed the many,many, many trips we have taken and all the fun and memories we have made over the years. Our kids, our Grandson, our step Grandkids (along with extended family members) and now our Great Grandson who is 23 months have all been introduced to Disney. It was time for us to rethink the points we have and also take into consideration the year they expire.

One of my wife’s favorite things is to have a family vacation where everyone is together. This means everything to her. We have one every year, either at Disney World, Hawaii in a Grand Villa (and we have had our share of some awesome Grand Villas) or a large beach house in southern California or New Jersey where we are from, or even a large mountain home in the winter for sking.

Now as retirement comes into play points mean everything. As retirees we will be able to get away anytime we choose, so we need points for that and still wanting to take the whole clan on a fun family vacation to Disney.

Selling a large amount of points at Boardwalk which expires in 2042 (who knew that its right around the corner) and getting points in a resort that will go much further makes sense to us now. Old Key West has the cheapest Grand Villas and could be used for the family vacation every so many years. Our thoughts are on some other contracts that don’t expire until 2057 or later. While my wife and I know we will most likely not be around at that time, our great grandchilden will. We would like them to experience the joy past generations of their family have had.

Looking back many years ago when we purchased our first DVC contract, it was alot of money for what people called a time share. We were concerned whether we were doing the right thing. Well now years, and a few DVC contracts later we know we would never have been able to do the things we’ve done if not for those purchases. This was one of the best investments ever.

While we love the Boardwalk, it makes much more sense for us to be able to purchase more points at a resort that not only uses less points but also expires in a much later year. We do own Animal Kingdom and that expires 2057.

At the age of 18 months, we treated our Great Grandson along with his parents to a 4 day trip in Disneyland (4 hour drive) and he still talks about meeting Mickey and Donald Duck. Can’t put a price on that. So we now have a 4 day trip back to Disneyland in September for his 2nd birthday party.

What’s so special is enjoying the fun and excitement we experience watching the smiles on our kids faces. Same for our grandsons face and now not only do we get to see the joy in our Great Grandson’s face, but we get to see the excitement in his father’s face when he sees his son enjoying the things he had when he was a kid. Nothing better than that!

We took our Grandson to Disney World so many times that one time when he was about 9 years old we said to him “guess where we are going” he said “where?” We said “we’re going to Disney World” his response was “AGAIN?” We still laugh about that.

Changes happen, whether its just the way life goes or ones you make. Disney is not the same as it was 20 years ago. But neither is this world. Those at retirement age can attest to that.

There have been many changes in the parks some good and some not so…but it is still the Happiest Place On Earth when you look thru the eyes of your loved ones. Keeping the investment that we had made many years ago going for as long as we can is important to us. So in closing, here’s to many more years to come as we plan our next chapter of Disney experiences. Enjoy the times you have, it goes quicker than you think. My wife and I were in our 20’s yesterday, we just have to stop blinking. Thanks for reading.
You have no idea how special that I am reading this today. My husband and I just purchased our first DVC membership at Disneyland Villas an hour ago. My main reason for making this our home resort is because of the end date. I am a few years away from retirement, we are a Disneyland family, but are now looking forward to taking Disney World trips with our kids and grandchildren. And the fact that we can bequeath our membership so that our children can possibly be taking their grandchildren just makes it extra special. Thank you for sharing and cheers to many more Disney years to come.

You have no idea how special that I am reading this today. My husband and I just purchased our first DVC membership at Disneyland Villas an hour ago. My main reason for making this our home resort is because of the end date. I am a few years away from retirement, we are a Disneyland family, but are now looking forward to taking Disney World trips with our kids and grandchildren. And the fact that we can bequeath our membership so that our children can possibly be taking their grandchildren just makes it extra special. Thank you for sharing and cheers to many more Disney years to come.
Congratulations on your purchase. Its the best feeling when our adult children, adult grand children and now 2 great grand sons get so excited when we put together a family vacation to Disney. My wife spends weeks planning all the activities and meals and while my wife and I are not so athletic anymore we enjoy a nice day relaxing by the pool while everyone else is at the parks. Hope you have lots of special vacations with your family, take lots of pictures. My wife and I are taking our 3 year old great grandson to Disneyland in December to enjoy all the Christmas decorations in the parks. This will be just the three of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter