Return of the Dining Plan?

They can't bring it back now. It would trigger many lawsuits when upset guests sue after they are not able to make reservations after paying $169 per day for the dining plan.
I am confused. Even back then people pay for it and there were some reservations that are unavailable no lawsuits back then. This makes no sense.

I am confused. Even back then people pay for it and there were some reservations that are unavailable no lawsuits back then. This makes no sense.
How can they charge 4x what the dining plan is worth and not trigger lawsuits?

What the poster meant was gst purchase DDP, then can't get reservation due to VERY limited availability .
If you paid for DDP but could only get your 2nd or third choice OR food select was limited, you would feel ripped off. Want your money back once on trip.

Don't look for DDP to come back any time soon. WAY too many factors for it to be successful.

The question is if (or when) a dining plan comes back what will be the earliest start date after bookings begin. Less then 60 days might be an issue since many reservations may already be gone.

I don't think a dining plan which includes TS meals would be available for stays no earlier then 90 days after bookings start.

5 years ago I’d have thought it impossible but wouldn’t be surprised DDP came back with its own ADR window. This would basically help them scoop back money from 3rd party subscription apps that bog the system continuously searching for slots. More and more keep popping up for a slice of the action. Disney might react. One way is to include a better window with DDP. Sounds crazy but it’s in line with other recent decisions and it wouldn’t make a huge difference to the normal 60 day methods because only a fraction get DDP and those people were already heavy competition at 60. Easy money, little cost to them, yet adds value to DDP.

Raising prices is not hypothetical, you stated charging 4x the amount is hypothetical.
They were already charging way too much for the dining plan. Even so the amount of demand for their product is insatiable and their attempts at modest price increases post Covid has failed miserably. Just look at the debacle of them rolling out annual passes in Disneyland last year. It was such a mess they got sued. I expect them to learn their lesson on the dining plan and will be charging way more than $150 per person per day. Probably closer to $200. Plus I expect they will have several tiers of dining with the $200 + per day plans will allow to make reservations prior to everyone else. Even with them charging some crazy outrageous price people will flock to the new plan. They will sell so many of them and the dining plan buyers gobbling up all of the reservations that hotel guests will be left out in the cold even those booking 70 days in advance. It will trigger more lawsuits.

5 years ago I’d have thought it impossible but wouldn’t be surprised DDP came back with its own ADR window.

With the current reservation system being a mess, giving dining plan guests an advance reservation window is a given.

The big incentive for guests from the UK is that we’d get free DDP for the length of our stay if booked during a promotion, this was obviously a huge thing to get us booking.
The promotion the last two years has been to offer a not very generous dining credit, I think it works out to be around a maximum of $900 if you stay in a deluxe for 2 weeks.
I do wonder if this is the way they’ll go now in future promotions. People in the UK are hoping dining plan comes back but they don’t differentiate between the paid for product and the free product they’ve been receiving, as lots of people have been booking with the credit I don’t think they’ll have to offer the free DDP unless there’s a serious economic downturn that’s losing Disney numbers

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter