Review of a new favorite: Afternoon Tea

merrywether

<font color=blue>Blue Fairies are welcome!
I was looking forward to going to Afternoon Tea at the Grand Floridian for quite awhile. DH and I missed our opportunity on our honeymoon in December, as we did not have priority seating and the place was mobbed. So we smartened up and made a PS for our trip last month. We were accompanied by my in-laws. The kind people on these boards suggested that we bring clothes to change into. So we valet parked, brought clothes in and changed in the GF lobby bathroom after coming from a morning in the MK. After changing, we had about 20 mins. to go before our PS time, so we sat and enjoyed the air conditioned lobby as a dixieland band played some tunes above us. We meandered over to the Garden View Lounge about 5 minutes before our PS and were seated immediately. Of course, because I had taken the time to procure a PS this trip, there was only one other table occupied in the whole restaurant! Doh! Anyway...I'm glad we decided to dress up, because it added to the fun of being at a formal tea. I think we might have felt a little out of place in our park clothes.
Dennis, our waiter, put our cloth napkins in our laps as we sat, and explained our options. All four of us opted for the "Buckingham Palace". The first course of the Buckingham included your choice of tea (we all tried different ones, so we got to taste each other's). I tried the house's Garden View Bouquet, which was so good, I bought a tin of it to bring home. Each person received their own pot of tea. First course also included tea sandwiches (pear and gorgonzola, salmon mousse, chicken salad with walnut, cucumber and watercress, and a fifth that I don't remember!). An onion tart was also on the plate. It was all absolutely delicious, except for the salmon, that my father in law gladly took off my hands because I'm not partial to it. Second course was a delectable scone with preserves (your choice of raspberry or strawberry) and devonshire cream, and a sizeable strawberry tart. 5 pounds heavier and 2 cups of tea later, the dessert came. Two of us opted for the strawberries and cream, and the other two opted for the pastries (choice of two from the tray). We shared it all. I had a chocolate covered strawberry that was so good, words can't describe. The strawberries and fresh cream were sooo.....well, ditto for that - it was just amazing.
Our waiter was incredible. He was friendly and accomodating. We never had to wait or want for anything while we were there. The whole experience was well worth the $17.50 per person charge. I wasn't hungry again that day, so afternoon tea ended up being my dinner (our seating was at 4:30). The only disappointment was walking back through the lobby toward the bathroom to change back into our park clothes as a pianist was playing. We hated to stop the relaxing, elegant feel the afternoon at the GF had given to us! However, my husband had beaten me at Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin earlier in the day, so I was anxious to get back and exact my revenge!
The tea was a great experience for all of us, and now it will be a 'must do' on all our future WDW trips.

Kim

Thanks for the review Kim! I agree, the GF is a must do on every trip now. :)

Anne

Great review! With all that food, it seems like a great lunch or dinner substitute, plus a very unique experience. Do you happen to know what times that the tea is available?

Thanks for the wonderful review ~ We already have our ps for our October trip.

Sounds like a great time. Mrs. U has always been after me to try that Tea with her. Maybe someday---!!

Originally posted by Krissalee
Great review! With all that food, it seems like a great lunch or dinner substitute, plus a very unique experience. Do you happen to know what times that the tea is available?

They take PS for 2:00, 3:15, and 4:30 every day.

It's a good lunch substitute, but not dinner, nothing at tea really sticks to you for more than a couple of hours.

Anne

Originally posted by Uncleromulus
Sounds like a great time. Mrs. U has always been after me to try that Tea with her. Maybe someday---!!

You should. I got Jim there after I found out that he could get a beer. :) He enjoys his beer and pound cake while I have my tea. Everyone's happy :)

Anne

Wonderful review! So smart to take the change of clothing. The main reason I haven't done the tea is that I've never been able to justify going in there in the same fashion that I enjoy he Magic Kingdom. (T-shirt and shorts)

My parents have prodded me to make this tea a point ever since they tried it a while back. They enjoyed it nearly as much as their high tea experience at the Empress Hotel on Victoria Island. (Much more practical for me to take in the one in Orlando--if you know what I mean!)

I think I would order the same tea that you did. Sounds wonderful!

Thanks again for posting!

I took my 13 yr old daughter for afternoon tea last week. We left hubby and son behind and enjoyed some "girl time".

It was the first experience for both of us. We enjoyed it. She got the kids' version (Mrs. Potts' Tea) which features chocolate milk instead of tea. Her chocolate milk came in the same type of bone china teapot that my tea came in. She also got small sandwiches - one was peanut butter & jelly and the other was tuna salad. She also got 2 choices from the pastry tray.

I got the Buckingham Palace selection (mentioned in an above post). My daughter was happy to share my strawberries & cream - YUM!

I don't know that we'll do this on every trip but it was definitely fun and worth the money.

DoeWDW, I would have probably enjoyed a PB&J finger sandwich myself! hehe! That is great that they offer the chocolate milk in the teapot - there were no kids around when we had our tea, so we didn't get a look at what the Mrs. Potts tea had to offer.

UncleRomulus, if traditional tea isn't your thing, they have a lot of other offerings. There's a British cheese plate, duck and cherry terrine, chicken & pork roulade pate en croute, berries, etc.... They also sell pastries a la carte and have specialty drinks such as brandy alexander, champangne cocktail, and grand mimosa as well as a variety of cognacs, port, sherry, cordials, champagnes and sparkling wines (I'm reading this off the menu that our waiter gave to me to put in my scrapbook - I really don't have THAT good a memory!). So give it a whirl!! :-)

For the people who are into the tea thing - here's the list of the current (as of the end of June) tea offerings:

English Breakfast
Darjeeling
Irish Breakfast
Ceylon and India
Garden View Bouquet
Earl Grey
Formosa Oolong
Organic Green Tea
Jasmine Tea
Hot Cinnamon Spice
Blackcurrant
Chamomile
Peppermint
Raspberry (hot or iced)
Lemon Verbena

Enjoy!

Kim

I went to WDW last September solo and tried the Afternoon Tea. It will now be a must do for my next trip this September. The restaurant was about half full and I didn't have a PS. I was seated promptly by a window, and the service was outstanding. I didn't feel out of the loop being there by myself.

Since I am going for two weeks again, I may try to get there twice this time, ordering different "teas" each time. It was definitely very relaxing and I really enjoyed the experience. My waitress also gave me a menu as a souvenir.

Eagerly awaiting for September, Cindy

What a nice review. :D I look forward to the day that I can try it. Hopefully soon.

Your great review inspired me to make a PS. Thanks!!!

Great review. My mother and Ihad a great time there last May. Thanks for the reminder of one of the highlights of our trip

thanks for the great reviews.

I'm going to try to make a reservation for myself, when my husband is playing golf and my daughter is at the Mad Hatter's Tea Party.

MandaMom

At our most recent family reunion, my wife wanted to take all the ladies in the family to tea. Our son suggested that his girls would get dressed up. One afternoon, my wife, DD, DDIL, and 4 granddaughters went off to tea. The ages were 13, 11, 10 years, and 2 months. It was definitely a Disney Magic movement for my wife. It is something that she will never forget. Althought it was two years ago, the older granddaughters still talk about "tea with Grandmother."

I'm so glad you posted this. I just made a PS this morning for 2:00 pm on 10/26 (our wedding anniversary) It's going to be a surprise for DH. I can't wait.

My 4 yr old dd and I love to have tea parties at home (this is Lucy's mom) and we have PS for the afternoon tea when we are on our girls' only trip next week. We will be staying at CBR this time and it won't be convenient to go back to the hotel to change before heading out to the MK and I don't want to carry clothes around with me all night. So, can we go to the tea in regular park clothes?

lucy's mom, Yes, you can go to tea in park clothes! :-) We just preferred to dress up - we felt more comfortable in our surroundings that way. Have a great time!

Joe T., that's just about the nicest story I've ever heard about your wife and grandkids!

I'm glad that some men have posted above on this subject because my husband and father in law counted the Afternoon Tea experience as one of the nicest things we did in WDW. Real men drink tea! And for those who don't, they also have beer, port, wine, etc!

Like others have said....can't wait to go back!

Kim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter