Review of Los Angeles stay

Susan2771

DIS Veteran
Thought I would post my feedback from the first half of our vacation in Los Angeles from June 23 to June 27. Sorry, it is going to be long.

We really had a fantastic time in LA. The city has so much to offer for a wide variety of vacation styles. I did a lot of research for our family of 4, and I think it was key in having a successful time. I look forward to going back. I wanted to mention we used Undercover Tourist to book our car rental, hotels and all tickets. It was the first time using it after seeing it mentioned here so many times. The pricing was amazing for us. The hotel was $800 less than anywhere else that we checked including direct with Hilton, and we were able to rent a Jeep Cherokee for $250. The tickets for the attractions were the best price we could find, and we got an additional discount with a sale they were having by booking 1 night for when we returned from Hawaii for the night for our return flight to Toronto. The tickets and hotel vouchers and car rental confirmations were emailed within minutes of the booking. I would highly recommend checking out the website for pricing for your vacation needs.

We decided to stay at the Hilton Los Angeles Universal City. It suited our needs and was a good location to getting to the sites we were planning to see. We did have a rental car to get around. It is a distance from the airport. By the time we got our rental car it was 4:30 PM, and Google Maps had us taking side streets and main roads to get to the hotel. This took just over an hour. It was a great drive and very exciting, but a bit long after a 5 and half hour flight. The day of departure it took over an hour to get to the car rental drop off and that was at 7:00 A.M. Google Maps had us taking the highway, secondary roads, highway again. We had very little wiggle room after dropping off the vehicle, getting to the airport and through check in and security to make it to the flight on time for the next part of our trip, and we gave ourselves 3 and a half hours.

The location was fantastic for accessing Universal Studios and City Walk. There was a shuttle that dropped you off at City Walk that is very convenient , and an easy walking path to the main entrance of Universal Studios. The views were beautiful, and seeing the sunset melt into the hills and mountains was breathtaking. The hotel room was very spacious, but dated. I would have preferred that the washroom could have had the sink separated from the shower and toilet so that multiple people could get ready at the same time. The pool was a good size but not heated. The hotel has a very popular buffet breakfast which was good, but very expensive. It was handy for our day at Universal Studios, but we only did it the one time because the buffet was $33 a person. They did have an a la carte breakfast menu as well. The other days, because we were out and about we had breakfast at near by Denny's or went down to Breakfast Republic which was a 12 minute drive away, and a fantastic spot for the first meal of the day. Fantastic menu and the food really delicious. We did not eat meals at the other dining venues at the hotel because the menus were limited. We went to City Walk which had much better variety, better pricing and so easy to access. I have to say, the hotel even though it was very busy, the halls were very quiet, and you did not hear anyone in other rooms. We rarely ran into anyone on our floor. It is a large main building so it's possible they were able to space guests out but it was pretty quiet at night. The hotel is well staffed, and there were plenty of employees in the lobby and hotel. Unfortunately the WI-FI never worked for us during our stay, and no one was able to figure it out at the main desk. It was difficult a couple of nights to find a parking spot in the self park garage. It was at capacity and you would have to stalk a leaving guest after circling the floors a number of times.

The hotel suited our needs, and the price was definitely right through UnderCover Tourist. It is not a hotel though we will be returning to. Sorry but I don't have any photos of the hotel, but their website does have quite a few.

Our first adventure is Universal Studios Hollywood

Attachments

• IMG_6165.JPG
    IMG_6165.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 11
We have been and stayed at Universal Orlando multiple times. We have annual passes and for our 2 teen girls, 1 of them a lover of all things Harry Potter, they really enjoy everything Universal Orlando has to offer.

This was our first time to Universal Studios Hollywood, and were very excited about visiting. We knew the theme park was much smaller, it doesn't mean less fun. We ate at familiar restaurants like Vivo and Bubba Gump. No problem with walking up for tables and also no line ups at Voodoo Donuts. We also enjoyed quick bites at the mini donuts location and The Crepe Cafe. City Walk was an enjoyable experience, liked the variety of stores to enjoy and not crowded.

We had the express pass and did arrive at opening on the Friday. It wasn't busy at that time and we decided to not use express pass until we felt the crowds arrive after 11:00. Absolutely loved the Secret Life of Pets ride. It was so enjoyable. Kung Fu Panda was fun and an easy experience. We enjoyed the theming throughout the park.

The Studio Tour was a fantastic experience and we learned a lot. It was great fun seeing the sets and getting a glimpse of movie sets. It was so great seeing the Jaws animatronic again! We totally loved experiencing the disaster set in the subway tunnel with the runaway subway and flooding water. It was really something seeing the downed airplane set from War of the Worlds. The tour was very fun. If I was to give any advice it is bring water! It is an hour long and with the sun blaring down it gets toasty. Also, we sat in the first row of the second car. I would advise to not sit in the first row of any of the carts. You will be roasted with all the heat and fumes coming from the exhaust n the car ahead. It kind of takes away from the experience because it smells the whole time and the additional heat is uncomfortable.

The views from the upper lot going to the lower lot are just stunning. What awesome views at this theme park.

The lower lot is quite compact. Compact and crowded. I felt that you really felt the heat in this area which is a bit draining. There is not a lot of places to just find some space, especially if you are the bag holder and want out of the sun. There are a heck of a lot of people in this area. I found the best place to wait and hide in the shade while my family did Transformers and The Mummy was at the exit to the Transformers at the top of the stairs. It was air conditioned, out of the sun, and I wasn't in anyone's way.

Jurassic Park was so great. I love this ride at Universal Orlando, and even more at the Hollywood location. The video screens and animatronics were fantastic. Unfortunately we only got to do this ride once since the line had hit 75 minutes by the time we made our way from the upper to the lower lot so had to use the express pass for the one time.

We did go to see the Waterworld show. At least we tried to. It started off well and was great fun watching the crowd get soaked before the main show. We were looking forward to it. Unfortunately during the performance, the actors shut it down 3 different times and then they just cancelled the rest of the show. From what we saw the stunts were really good.

We did not have the energy to make it to closing, with the time difference hitting us and the exhaustion of being in the sun. We did find the variety and selection of Universal merch better at the Orlando location.

It was a great day and we very much enjoyed Universal Studios Hollywood and what it had to offer. IMG_6166.JPGIMG_6170.JPGIMG_6178.JPGIMG_6188.JPGIMG_6193.JPG

Next day was Warner Brothers Studio Tour, La Brea Tar Pits and Farmers Market

IMG_6196.JPG

What a fun report so far! Can't wait to read the rest!

I stayed at the Hilton last year for 2 nights and found it "serviceable." I had the same complaint about the bathroom setup, but luckily it was just a friend and I so we took turns using the bathroom. The location cannot be beat for access to Universal and other Hollywood locations.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the WB tour. We did that last year as well and I really enjoyed it.

What a fun report so far! Can't wait to read the rest!

I stayed at the Hilton last year for 2 nights and found it "serviceable." I had the same complaint about the bathroom setup, but luckily it was just a friend and I so we took turns using the bathroom. The location cannot be beat for access to Universal and other Hollywood locations.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the WB tour. We did that last year as well and I really enjoyed it.
Yes, the hotel is in a great location. Easy to hop on the highway, close to Hollywood and a number of studios. It is an older hotel, so when it was built, that is how the bathrooms were set up, compared to newer hotels with more practical washroom set ups. Definitely serviceable as you mentioned :)

Our next day was quite a long one. We had Warner Brothers Studio Tour in the morning, La Brea Tar Pits and the Farmers Market.

After breakfast at a nearby Denny's we enjoyed a very fun over 4 hours at the Warner Brothers Studio Tour. After the initial tour, you can take as much time or as little time enjoying the exhibits. The whole set up is very well done and people are always moving. This experience is fantastic for a movie or TV lover. You learn so much about the industry, and being able to walk the sets and see where big Hollywood movie and television show moments happened, where Prince took the iconic photo on the cover of his Purple Rain album, the upside down kiss from Spider-Man.

The guides do their job well, and they know their history of shows, movies, entertainment history, and how the industry works. I loved the short documentary we watched before the tour began of big movie and tv moments. It was really interesting. It was a wonderful learning experience being on an actual set of a TV show. Amazing how they can stage the outdoors inside a building. My husband found the just driving around and between sound stages looking at plaques on what was filmed inside the sound stage a bit boring. He liked the technical part more being actually inside the sound stage and walking the streets of sets and being inside practical buildings.

The next part of the tour was then self guided looking at costumes from a variety of shows and movies and sets from TV shows. There were interactive set ups as well that were lots of fun. You were able to take photos on the Friends couch in the coffee shop, photos on various Big Bang Theory sets, and make some green screen clips from Batman and Harry Potter. You can then buy the photos and videos individually or as a package. You get much more bang for your buck buying the package but do yourself a favor and do all the photos and video opportunities. Since you are paying for all of them, might as well do all of them and have everyone in your party try the green screen opportunities. We did ask if there would be further opportunities in the tour to do more photos and they said there wasn't but that wasn't true. There are Harry Potter photo opportunities in the next building. Because we had purchased the photo package from the Friends and Big Bang sets, it was $5 a photo in the Harry Potter area.

There is lots of great merchandise to buy next to the Friends Cafe from the Friends and Big Bang Theory Show. The coffee shop was great to grab a bite and there is plenty of seating. The cupcakes are really good and big enough to share.

After you walk through the Friends gift shop, you will then take a tram to the next building where you will find many actual costumes, vehicles and props used in various Marvel movies and the Harry Potter memorabilia and photo opportunities. My husband really enjoyed the wide variety of superhero props and costumes and it is all really well set up. This tour is really a unforgettable experience for a superhero fan, and Harry Potter/Fantastic Beast enthusiast. The large gift shop at the end also had such a variety of merchandise and more costumes on display. We definitely spent quite a bit buying merchandise and gifts here.

This was a great experience for our family. All four of us really enjoyed the tour both guided and the on your own part. It can be as long or as short as you want it to be.

IMG_6197.JPGIMG_6201.JPGIMG_6205.JPGIMG_6215.JPGIMG_6224.JPG

That tour is the best value "attraction" in Southern CA, honestly. It feels like it should cost much more than it does. It's fantastic. Glad you enjoyed it!

Love your trip report!

"Amazing how they can stage the outdoors inside a building"

What show's soundstage did you get to tour? We toured "All American" back when we were there in 2019. I hadn't seen the show, but it was really amazing being on the soundstage.

That tour is the best value "attraction" in Southern CA, honestly. It feels like it should cost much more than it does. It's fantastic. Glad you enjoyed it!
It really is! And it is so well run and they have an amazing number of staff working it from start to finish, and so many trams going, it was really enjoyable. Was also great how the elevator in the parking garage takes you right to the inside of the building and the start of the tour. Undercover Tourist also had the tickets at a bit of a discount as well.

It really is! And it is so well run and they have an amazing number of staff working it from start to finish, and so many trams going, it was really enjoyable. Was also great how the elevator in the parking garage takes you right to the inside of the building and the start of the tour. Undercover Tourist also had the tickets at a bit of a discount as well.

Yes, I got the So Cal resident $discount, but even at full price, it's a total steal! I did it for my Gilmore Girls and BBT obsessed friend, and I loved it as much as she did!

Love your trip report!

"Amazing how they can stage the outdoors inside a building"

What show's soundstage did you get to tour? We toured "All American" back when we were there in 2019. I hadn't seen the show, but it was really amazing being on the soundstage.
It was Abbott Elementary which I have not seen on TV. It was amazing to see with the backyard with a pool, their was the residence and also a whole beach house with a beach! So amazing and really educational.

From Warner Brothers we decided to make our way down to La Brea Tar Pits. This is a great area for a tourist because the Petersen Auto Museum, the La Brea Tar Pits and the beautiful Academy of Motion Pictures and Arts Museum all in one neighborhood. There is also the Urban Light LACMA light post installation is across from the Petersen Museum, and the Farmers Market is just minutes away. One can definitely spend an entire day and evening in this area.

We decided to do the La Brea Tar Pits and museum. I thought the history of the bones retrieved from the tar pits, and how it still bubbles today would be hit with the family, but I was wrong :tongue: They didn't find the bubbling tar pits, and how there was tar coming up through the grass in some sections of the park all that fascinating. I thought it was incredible to see and smell it in the center of such a modern city . We did the museum which is small and does require a fee to enter, but you can walk around the parkland and see the tar pits and enjoy this lovely park at no cost.

My daughters were not very interested in the fossils and didn't spend a lot of time at the exhibits. It could have been that my family was feeling a bit of jetlag, and tired from the full day at Universal the day before, and then all the time at Warner Brothers that morning into the afternoon. Or, they really don't care about fossils.

From the museum it was an easy walk over to the Urban Light installation. It was still daylight so we did not get to experience it with the lights on, but it was still a nice photo opportunity, and different from anything we have here at home in Toronto.

I didn't have any plans in our itinerary in going to see the Farmers Market and The Grove. We have plenty of Famers Markets in the region we live in and I promised my hubby we would not go overboard on the shopping. Instead of calling it a day though and heading back to the hotel and City Walk for dinner, we decided to live on the wild side and be impulsive and see if they had any treats at the Farmers Market. Boy, am I so glad we did.

The Farmers Market was not what I expected and the incredible diverse range of food stalls and interesting shopping stops was fantastic. It was so fun to explore the walkways and see and smell all the food, all the little tables set up to enjoy. It was incredibly busy when we arrived early evening but there was lots of places to sit and eat, and eat and eat! This place is very crowded though.

The Grove was nice. We got to take the trolley from one end to the other and enjoy the show at the fountain, and live music. It is a very pleasant place to be outdoors, people watch, grab a meal or drink and slow things down. To my husband's relief we did not hit the stores. Our daughters were saving their energy to shop the following day at Funko Pop Headquarters, and hitting the thrift and vintage stores in Santa Monica :scared: On our way from Funko to Santa Monica, we also stopped at Pierce Brothers Westwood Village Memorial Park to visit the resting place of Marilyn Monroe and other celebrities.B0D5C642-C7DE-4813-A617-4A015ABE1C3C.jpeg13C4E407-9FBB-4534-A3D1-3B2D25B4000B.jpegE2ACDAD4-7DE0-440C-8F8F-7260C64885E8.jpegD9E77F78-A1B9-416C-845B-0B84465FBE39.jpegABF6CCCE-B6B8-4576-9A54-6DC3E653CACA.jpegD0EF244C-D2E3-4E23-B7CC-023CB09AF895.jpeg33CA512D-CD38-44B5-8FE8-E8817BF457F6.jpeg3630D8DD-E467-4466-B76A-4D89D36909A7.jpeg

Last edited:
I saw Volcano in the 1990's , the film about a Volcano under the Tar Pits which erupts and causes chaos in LA. Since then it has fascinated me and was one of the first places I visited when I started going to LA about 10 years ago.

Our next day was quite a long one. We had Warner Brothers Studio Tour in the morning, La Brea Tar Pits and the Farmers Market.

After breakfast at a nearby Denny's we enjoyed a very fun over 4 hours at the Warner Brothers Studio Tour. After the initial tour, you can take as much time or as little time enjoying the exhibits. The whole set up is very well done and people are always moving. This experience is fantastic for a movie or TV lover. You learn so much about the industry, and being able to walk the sets and see where big Hollywood movie and television show moments happened, where Prince took the iconic photo on the cover of his Purple Rain album, the upside down kiss from Spider-Man.

The guides do their job well, and they know their history of shows, movies, entertainment history, and how the industry works. I loved the short documentary we watched before the tour began of big movie and tv moments. It was really interesting. It was a wonderful learning experience being on an actual set of a TV show. Amazing how they can stage the outdoors inside a building. My husband found the just driving around and between sound stages looking at plaques on what was filmed inside the sound stage a bit boring. He liked the technical part more being actually inside the sound stage and walking the streets of sets and being inside practical buildings.

The next part of the tour was then self guided looking at costumes from a variety of shows and movies and sets from TV shows. There were interactive set ups as well that were lots of fun. You were able to take photos on the Friends couch in the coffee shop, photos on various Big Bang Theory sets, and make some green screen clips from Batman and Harry Potter. You can then buy the photos and videos individually or as a package. You get much more bang for your buck buying the package but do yourself a favor and do all the photos and video opportunities. Since you are paying for all of them, might as well do all of them and have everyone in your party try the green screen opportunities. We did ask if there would be further opportunities in the tour to do more photos and they said there wasn't but that wasn't true. There are Harry Potter photo opportunities in the next building. Because we had purchased the photo package from the Friends and Big Bang sets, it was $5 a photo in the Harry Potter area.

There is lots of great merchandise to buy next to the Friends Cafe from the Friends and Big Bang Theory Show. The coffee shop was great to grab a bite and there is plenty of seating. The cupcakes are really good and big enough to share.

After you walk through the Friends gift shop, you will then take a tram to the next building where you will find many actual costumes, vehicles and props used in various Marvel movies and the Harry Potter memorabilia and photo opportunities. My husband really enjoyed the wide variety of superhero props and costumes and it is all really well set up. This tour is really a unforgettable experience for a superhero fan, and Harry Potter/Fantastic Beast enthusiast. The large gift shop at the end also had such a variety of merchandise and more costumes on display. We definitely spent quite a bit buying merchandise and gifts here.

This was a great experience for our family. All four of us really enjoyed the tour both guided and the on your own part. It can be as long or as short as you want it to be.

View attachment 683926View attachment 683927View attachment 683928View attachment 683930View attachment 683931
I'm a local and love love Warner Bros studio tour!

I would love to hear more about the Funko Pop headquarters - my kid is a collector and might enjoy that!

This is helpful info - we are planning for next March and there are so many options!

I think you may have abandoned your trip report, but I just wanted to say as someone who is planning my first trip to Disneyland and LA next summer, I really enjoyed your report. You talked about a lot of things we want to do - Warner Bros, the Grove, and the Farmer’s Market.

What were your thoughts on the Funko store? We are considering a visit here and you are the first one I saw post about it.

Also, how was it traveling from your hotel to LA? We are strongly considering the Garland because I’m having a hard time finding something as nice for the same price. All the other hotels I like are coming in at least $300 more for a two night stay and that’s without parking included. We will have a car but are not going to Universal so I feel like it’s dumb to stay out there, but the price is really good!

We went to Funko store, my husband is an avid collector, everyone in the family liked it. The giant life size Funkos are neat and the family had a great time. We were a bit rushed and would have liked more time. Parked at the mall right next to the store.

We went to Funko store, my husband is an avid collector, everyone in the family liked it. The giant life size Funkos are neat and the family had a great time. We were a bit rushed and would have liked more time. Parked at the mall right next to the store.
Thanks for the report. I’m glad there is parking nearby, too. I think we’ll check it out.

We also very much enjoyed the Funko Pop store… took lots of pictures and came home with lots of fun ones that you don’t see anywhere else.

We also really enjoyed the Warner Bros studio tour… really interesting and about the right amount of time.

Hollywood itself is a one and done for me, but I am glad went!

It was Abbott Elementary which I have not seen on TV. It was amazing to see with the backyard with a pool, their was the residence and also a whole beach house with a beach!
That sounds like what we saw on the All American set. Abbott Elementary takes place in an elementary school. There is no beach house with a backyard and pool in the Abbott Elementary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter