Review of lunch at the Sand Trap Bar and Grill

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
Uncleromulus has three dining traditions at WDW these days. One is dinner at V&A. Another is a "last night" dinner at Jiko. And the third is a "first day" lunch at the Sand Trap. A quiet island in the sea of WDW commotion, it's the perfect place to begin a trip. When we arrive at WDW on Saturday, I'm usually pretty well beat having just dealt with the traffic on I-4. Or as on this trip, with the hectic pace at the airport, renting a car, etc. So a peaceful lunch is what I'm after. Unwind, relax, and anticipate the vacation ahead.

The Trap is located at the Eagle Pines/Osprey Ridge golf course, which is adjacent to Fort Wilderness and around the corner (sort of ) from Port Orleans. The restaurant is a bright, airy, open establishment with a nice view of the golf course beyond. The menu is strictly lunch items--- soups, sandwiches, salads, burgers. Plus a couple of daily specials. No danger of mistakenly ordering a nice sounding big meal and then having no appetite for your dinner later that night. There is a full bar, a nice wine selection and some good beers as well.
There were 6 of us eating lunch that day and I'm pleased to say that the other 4 "first timers" at the Trap were very happy with the meal. Our server was Dimitry, who took very good care of us. I had a Sierra Nevada to begin with, while Mrs U had her usual glass of wine. I ordered the classic Double Burger with cheddar cheese and onions, while Mrs U got the Club Wrap, consisting of turkey, ham, tomato, cheese, bacon, ranch dressing, all in a tomato/basil tortilla. Others in our party got the Caesar Salad, the single burger, and the Reuben Sandwich. All the sandwiches came with a choice of chips, fries, fruit, cole slaw or potato salad.
Note: I almost always order the Cobb salad when I eat at the Sand Trap. I didn't get it this time, but mention it only because it rivals the Cobb at the Brown Derby. In fact, it may be better.

So--if you want a virtually kid-free, quiet lunch in a pretty restaurant with good and friendly service, the Sand Trap can't be beat. I owe Pete (a former Albert at V&A) a vote of thanks for steering me to this great lunch spot.

I think you'll like it. And if you go, be sure and say hello to Mike. He's usually behind the bar...

Uncleromulus, are all the decent beers only in bottles or do they have anything worth drinking on tap?

Sounds lovely ~ Wonder if I can squeeze it into our next trip.

Tap beer is Bud, Coors Light, and Mich Ultra.

Uncleromulus, why do you take I-4? From the airport area you should take the "Greeneway" (417)! A much nicer route that takes you right to the EPCOT gate. There are a few tolls, but well worth it!

Mike

Mike:
I sort of meant I-4 WHEN we drive to WDW-which we didn't do this time. Even on Saturday morning it's a mess----.
We did take the Greenway from the airport..

Ah, the Sand Trap. We do enjoy it too although we've probably not been there for two years or so. :sad2: It is also a pleasant spot for a quiet breakfast and opens earlier than most WDW restaurants...6:30 last I knew.

But I have a question about the burger. What kind of bun are they using these days? Might seem silly to most but is an important part of the burger for me. :sunny:

Enjoyed your review. :thumbsup2

Agree-it's a perfect breakfast spot if you need to be somewhere early--such as we did last trip. Had to be at the AK early for the backstage safari tour. Since most WDW breakfast spots aren't open until 7:30 or so, we were glad to have bkfst at the Trap and made it to the AK with time to spare.

Been thinking and I don't really recall anything special about the bun. I can say that even tho I had the "double" burger, the bun held pretty much together.
Mike might know more--?

Just a regular ole Kaiser Roll, no seeds.

The chicken now comes on a mulit grain bread, and most of it seems to end up in the trash, so if you are not a fan of this, just ask for a bun, you can substitute no problem.

And yes, breakfast is still 6:30am.

OrlandoMike said:
Just a regular ole Kaiser Roll, no seeds.

The chicken now comes on a mulit grain bread, and most of it seems to end up in the trash, so if you are not a fan of this, just ask for a bun, you can substitute no problem.

And yes, breakfast is still 6:30am.

Thanks for the answers and the hint. I love kaiser rools for burgers. :cool1: It is the oversized sesame seed buns I hate. Dry, too much bread and no taste except the seeds.

Very good to know breakfast is still at 6:30. My golfers have ordered it to go before which works out great for them.

Thanks again. :sunny:

Thanks for the review, I don't believe I've ever seen this place reviewed before. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter