Revised DVC dining poll..

so how do we all feel regarding not being offered a dining plan?

• Do you think DVC Members should be offered a dining plan? YES

• Do you think DVC Members should be offered a dining plan? NO

• Would you add the Dining Plan to your reservations if it was offered? YES

• Would you add the Dining Plan to your reservations if it was offered? NO

• Do you think that a dining plan would be a nice perk? YES

• Do you think that a dining plan would be a nice perk? NO

• Do you care that we don't have a dining plan offered to us? YES

• Do you care that we don't have a dining plan offered to us? NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
Lora said:
We just got back from a 12-night DVC stay. We ate a total of 5 sit-down meals (Biergarten, LTT, Kona Cafe, Chef Mickey's and Beaches and Cream) and I honesty don't think we could have eaten one more. We had counter-service about 8 times. All other meals were in our room. You don't have to actually cook to eat in the room. We had bagged salads and tuna, bagels and cream cheese for lunch and cereal or meal bars for breakfast. The kids had pbj or moz. sticks. I boiled eggs one night and had egg salad a couple times for lunch.

For us, the meal plan would be a waste. We did purchase the DDE card because we'll use it for 2 trips.
That is much like what we do, and I doubt we would use the dining plan for that reason either. I would feel like I HAD to use all the options, and it would tire me out going to all those sit down places all the time. We like a lot of the different restaurants, but we don't like to be too structured, so I usually make most PS (or ADRs now) after we arrive. We will have the DDE card, and that will be fine for us.

When I was recently at WDW in Port Orleans food court I saw a lady buying 14 bags of potato chips. Her meal plan was running out and she wanted to use up the snack allowances.

I think a modified plan would be good--no time or desire to eat out so much.
:goodvibes

I didn't vote in all the categories. Would I support it being offered? Sure, as long as DDE membership was still available for me. Would I use it myself? No, it isn't right for me. I am one person, I don't eat that much, and I like the discount on alcohol. Would it be a nice perk? I'm sure it would for some, but I don't really care about whether it's offered or not because I won't use it, so I didn't vote on that one. As for the big question, it doesn't matter to me whether it's offered or not, to me it's irrelevant.

Our DDE is still good for our next trip (Jan 4 to 11th 2006) so I wouldn't add it on to that, but any other trip yes. My only problem is they don't let you do it for kids under the age of 2 years old, sure they are free at all you can eat places, not at others.

Oh well, there is always some giltich.

I hope they do add it.

It would all depend on the cost as to whether any sort of dining plan would be an advantage to us. Even if they offer the current dining plan, at the same price, it would only be a "break even" proposition for most adults...if there are kids in the party, that is when the savings would kick in. And I really don't expect the same plan at the same price, as there is no way to "subsidize" it with room rates.

I don't know if we would use it as we have not evaluated it against the DDE which we have. I think having the option so that members would have more choice would be great.

Only used the dining plan once when it was the food and fun plan - I found we were struggling to use it up- but then the room plan also had breakfast included so we had $110 a day for two of us for lunch snacks and supper. We paid $50 a day per person for $55 meal credits and unlimited use of boats and bikes and maybe some other things. We took a pontoon boat from POR along the canal to DTD and by OKW as our recreation. Later that week we became DVC members at OKW. That meal plan led to more vacations where we eat less in the restaurants and are happy with the DDE card at this point. I voted that it would be a nice perk and that it would be nice if it is offered but no I wouldn't use it. Like others said I would feel I had to "get the most out of it" and would eat more than I would normally. Just slightly off topic:
We used the DDE at Trails End and the waitress said they don't take the discount off on the alcoholic beverages. We didn't argue but wonder if anyone else has had that happen. Is the bar there considered a separate entity and not on the plan? One of the reason I like the DDE card over the meal plan is that it says alcoholic beverages are included and we usually have a drink or wine with dinner.

castleri said:
We used the DDE at Trails End and the waitress said they don't take the discount off on the alcoholic beverages. We didn't argue but wonder if anyone else has had that happen. Is the bar there considered a separate entity and not on the plan? One of the reason I like the DDE card over the meal plan is that it says alcoholic beverages are included and we usually have a drink or wine with dinner.

Perhaps the CM was using the wrong type of Discount. I know when I used the DVC member discount (prior to DDE being opened up to AP members), the particular restaurant was a 20% DVC discount, they rang it as an employee discount - maybe the same thing happened to you at Trail's End. I don't think CMs get an alcohol discount.

I would much rather see DDE becoming avail to DVC members whether or not you have an AP.

I would gladly pay $75 if I didn't want an AP that year for DDE.

I voted "Yes" on all four. We cancelled our reservation at SSR in August to take advantage of the free dining by staying at CSR. The "cost" was about the same (points * $10 v/s CSR rack rate) and we ate for free. I had such a great experiece with the dining plan, I knew that if it were offered to me in the future I would be happy to pay for it. It was very easy to use and even at $38/$12 it would be cost effective for us since we frequently book table service meals.

ETA: We also had the DDE card on our August stay. We used it for OOP kids meals and extras like alcolhol at the table service restauarants. Just because I have the DDE doesn't mean I wouldn't use a dining plan too.

cobbler said:
I would much rather see DDE becoming avail to DVC members whether or not you have an AP.

I would gladly pay $75 if I didn't want an AP that year for DDE.
Agreed with Cobbler. We found that DDE gives us a flexible discount to use when we are ready to eat. If the kids are tired/meltdown mode, we can go back to the room and eat something there and not worry about dragging them to some sit-down meal that we feel obligated to go to since it is already paid for. Now I would go for a "FREE" dining plan..

Darrin

castleri said:
I'm sorry, but the CM was mistaken. We have had the DDE for several years (FL residents :teeth: ) and have always gotten the discount on alcohol. It says it's valid on alcohol right on the info sheet. In fact, we have used it numerous times on alcohol ONLY when meeting friends for drinks. Mmmmm....Victoria Falls Lounge...MMmmmm! Yep....ALWAYS get the discount on drinks! :)

I voted yes for all except that we would use it. I would love the option...I think it would be a great perk to have available. And maybe if we were down in a studio for a few days...? Sure. But we love our DDE. We were so surprised how well we ate and how much we saved with it.

We wouldn't use it - we rarely eat more than one WDW TS meal per 6-7 night trip. We eat in our room quite a bit, too. Not necessarily cooking as much as CharlesTD, but it's easy to do sandwiches, snacks, breakfast pastries, fruit, etc. with the 1BR kitchen. And if we do eat dinner out, there are so many off-site places that are a bit more relaxing and a better value than WDW TS.

CharlesTD said:
Well we will be there Dec 06 for a week at OKW then on the cruise for 3 days then SSR for a week come on down and join us and come for dinner you are more than welcome we also do roasted potatoes in the oven and broccoli and cauliflower with cheese sauce and cheesecake for dessert.

We'll be at SSR at the same time, so if you see a guy walking around, sniffing for pot roast, lasagne and cheesecake, don't worry - it's only me! :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter