Ride questions and tons of other questions

lovespoohbear

DIS Veteran
Hi guys,
I am new to this post. I don't know all the abbreviations so when answering questions please spell out abbreviations, thanks. I am hoping to get some questions answered I have. I was at WDW 10 years ago so I know things have changed. I am hoping to go in 3 years for a college graduation present to myself. I am wanting to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge and was wondering if thats a good chioce. i have seen pictures of their handicapped rooms and they look big. Also when is a good time to call and make reservations? I am in a permobile and was wondering if there are rides I could ride without getting out of my chair? When i was there 10 yrs ago I couldn't ride any b/c I had to be transfered and I was 14 at the time and to big for parents to transfer. I am still hard to transfer but I am hoping to get some guy friends to go so on a couple rides I could transfer and ride them. Should I get the GAC? I have rods in my back from scoliosis(sp) and in the past has jared the back riding in back of buses. Is Kilaminjaro Safari not a good idea b/c of past back jaring experiences? Where do wheelchairs go on that ride? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to disABILITIES.:wave:
I am in a permobile and was wondering if there are rides I could ride without getting out of my chair?
Here's a link to the official Disney site disability info page which includes a list of rides/attractions where you can stay in a wheelchair or ecv for the entire time. MK has the most rides that are not accessible because you need to transfer. AK and the Studio are much more accessible bacause they were built more recently. All the parks have shows and movies that you will be able to enjoy.
Should I get the GAC?
If all you need is a wheelchair accessible line or ride car, you won't need a GAC (Guest Assistance Card). The CMs (Cast Members) will know where to direct you when they see the wheelchair. GACs are more of a tool for CMs to know what sorts of invisible needs someone might need assistance for (things like avoiding sun or heat, waiting in a quieter spot, a person who can walk, but needs to avoid stairs). GACs can be requested at Guest Services at any of the parks. Be able to explain to the CM what needs you have.
I have rods in my back from scoliosis(sp) and in the past has jared the back riding in back of buses. Is Kilaminjaro Safari not a good idea b/c of past back jaring experiences? Where do wheelchairs go on that ride?
Wheelchairs load onto the front row of the tram and are tied down the same way as on a bus. If being in the back of a bus is too jarring for your back, you will have problems with the Safari. They have simulated rough, gravel and mud roads and you go over several bumpy, "dangerous" wooden bridges. At the end of the Safari, you go at high speeds to capture some "poachers". That part is very bumpy and I am always happy that DD has a seatbelt and footstraps on her wheelchair.
Another ride that has a bumpy component is the Backstage Tour at the Studio. At Catastrophe Canyon, you are in a simulated earthquake that shakes the tram quiet a bit.
Here's a link to the official Disney site Guidebook for Guest with Disabilities- Magic Kingdom (MK) . There is one for each park. You can get a written copy at Guest Services at any of the parks or you will find a link at the top of the MK page to the guidebooks for the other parks. They list each ride and indicate if there are any special cautions (like should not be ridden by people with back or neck problems). The park maps have codes by each ride that has a caution. You will also find a sign before the entrance to the line and before boarding to make sure you know.

My DD uses power wheelchair at home, but we have not been brave enough to bring it to WDW yet. Some frequent DIS posters do use power wheelchairs though and can help more specifically.

Ask as many questions as you want and remember, there is no such thing as a dumb question.

I have one other question. I since i was thinking about AKL they have a sunrise safari. It isnt like the ride its a slower pace. Do you think going slower would make a difference?

I've done the sunrise safari several times and although it's slower, it would still be very jarring just due to the terrain. The space in the front in the accessible ride area is VERY tight for your chair. I also have a Permobil and there are very few attractions I can access since I'm unable to transfer. If you can transfer your choices aren't so limited. The attractions that would be too physically demanding will have a warning sign prior to boarding and the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities should also give you an idea of what to expect on each attraction. ---Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter