• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rides and Motion sickness help needed!

Whitaker24

Mouseketeer
Guys I cant ride theme park rides at all. When we visit carowinds a SC theme park, I always get sick when I try to ride. I break out into a sweat, get dizzy and usually takes me 1hr or so to get back in order or feel normal. So I dont even attempt to ride anymore.

We went to dis last year and I rode tea cups with our son and wife. I was so sick even my 3 year old said mamma daddy is sick. I was able to ride some other stuff, but also sweated and felt woozy after riding the train coaster also.

Would it help if I tried some motion sickness medication before entering the park for that day? I have never thought of it, but if anyone has had good results with it let me know.

I would love to be able to ride everything but the way I am I cant no way possible.

There is always Gravol which has worked for my weak stomach. I may still get a little nauseous (I have a REALLY bad stomach) but nothing that would make me throw up or put me out for the day. The only problem is getting sleepy but often times my nervousness over getting sick supersedes that!

Some people have luck with those motion sickness bracelets but I know it wouldn't do a thinkg for me!
GL I feel your pain!

Id like to know this also i am a dizzy person when it comes to rides, i have to do the more tame ones.

I ALWAYS take motion sickness meds before I go to any of the parks. I have difficulty with any ride that goes in a circular motion (even Cinderella's Carousal) or the 3D movies. The motion sick meds help keep the queesiness to a minimum. I prefer the Bonine brand (I find it at Wal-Mart). It is a chewable raspberry flavor tablet. Dramamine makes me feel drowsy and funky, but the Bonine doesn't have the same affect on me. I usually can ride the tamer rides (Peter Pan's Flight, IASW, Haunted Mansion, Soarin', etc.)without problem. I hope this helps you find a solution to your motion sickness!

I have dreams (nightmares) right before we leave for Disney where I forget my Meclizine and can't ride a thing :sad1:

I take Antivert/Meclizine, which is the perscription form of Bonine. Somedays it works better than others, but if I do get nausous it quickly goes away. Without the meds I'd feel gross all day.

I've never had a problem with drowsiness BUT through 'trial and error' I've found I can only take half a dose...a whole dose makes me so dizzy and sick I'm in bed for several hours. If you read the package insert that's one of the possible side effects. :rolleyes:

Another little trick, which helps everyone in my family, is to suck on Jolly Rancher sour hard candies while on the ride. (Be careful not to choke!)

Also, this goes against everything you've heard, but I do much better riding the wild rides after eating something. An empty tummy makes me get sick quickly.

And for the Teacups I've found if I stare at my DD10s face the whole time (and laugh...goofy I know, but it works for me as I think it relieves the stress), and don't ever look away I'm okay. You'll see the movement at the sides but do not look at it.

Hope this helps. It's no fun to either be sick or have to sit and watch the others ride.

Bonine works for me. I get nausous just sitting in the passenger seat of a car, and this stuff works great for me. Dramamine makes me drowsy- so I take that for plane rides, because it does work, just makes me want to take a nap and I surely don't want to do that in the middle of the Magic Kingdom.:thumbsup2

I would talk to your doctor. I got a prescription for the patch. It goes behind your ear and can be worn for 3 days. I am super prone to motion sickness (floating in water, airplanes, rides of any kind) and I was able to ride EVERYTHING when I went to DW. I took meclazine too, just to be sure. I also had ginger pills on hand just in case to settle any stomach upset. I think the only ride I got a tiny bit woozy was Everest and the whole riding backward thing. However the feeling didn't last long.
The only side effect from the patch that I had was a little dry mouth and after wearing it for a few days my vision got a little blurry so I took it off and only used the meclazine for the last few days of my trip. Maybe it was a combination of using both:-)
Good luck and try different methods ahead of time.

The only time I get dizzy is on rides ect. Not sure if I can try any before hand. Ill pick up some stuff at walmart for the trip. I rode teacups- had to close my eyes, i couldnt focus on my son or wife either...:confused3

We rode the pooh ride like 3 times, and when the seats would twist i have to focus on something the whole time to make it thru.

I suffer really badly from travel sickness and I wear those sickness bands. I always wear them when ever I travel anywhere and I wear them in the theme parks for certain rides (I am OK with rollercoasters now but have to wear them for rides such as Star Tours.)

i get motion sick pretty badly - In cars, planes, trains, ships.....
for cruises and flights, i get the scopolomine patch ( the prescription patch the other poster mentioned.)
For amusement parks, i take meclizine. it's one pill every 12 hours - easy! and, it doesn't make you crazy drowsy. But, I also limit myself! I don't have kids, so it's a little different for me. I can't do some of the simulation ridse (star tours) and I can't do anything that goes upsidedown (rock n roller coaster). If i ride stuff like that - it doesn't matter what I've taken, I could be sick for hours. I can do pretty much everything else though. I never step foot on the teacups :-) But, i understand it's different with children - I remember wanting my dad to ride EVERYTHING with me when I was little.

so, if your motion sickness is that bad and you want to ride anything that comes your way, maybe you should speak with your doc about the scopolamine patch. it's strong enough it may do the job. it has some nasty side effects like blurred vision, dry mouth (terrible), and drowsiness. And, i wouldn't take it with anything else (don't take it with other motion sickness meds) - bad medicaiton interactions there. Good luck!

I'm also prone to severe motion sickness. I take Gravol before going to the parks. I've also heard that taking Ginger is just as good as Gravol, but without the side effects. I take the long lasting Gravol, and it keeps me nauseous free for the entire day. Hope that this helps you out. On our first day in DL in Feb, I forgot to take Gravol, and one ride on the teacups was enough to keep me queasy for the remainder of the day. Will not make that mistake anytime soon.

Hey there! I am also a huge fan of Bonine. I have some on me at all times. I have gotten motion sick DRIVING my OWN CAR. It's ridiculous.

I found that if I take a Bonine when I get up, I can get on the bus and sit in any place, facing in any direction, and I can ride most any ride. I still will never get on Space @ Epcot, or ride the Teacups, but everything else is game.

It's an annoying, debilitating problem... and there are definitely solutions out there.

OH! My girlfriend's kid wore the bands, and she was totally fine - maybe take Bonine AND wear the bands (which we had to ask for @ the pharmacy because they were behind the counter (???)).

Good Luck!

I've used the patch on two trips now and it worked wonders. I have motion sickness so bad I can't even watch action movies without getting sick but I survived WDW and Universal for 9 days without a problem.

I use wal-dram II from walgreens. It a "less drowsy" formula and it works for 24 hours--take 1 or 2 in the morning and I'm good to go all day and night. It's also less expensive than the brand names. :goodvibes

I've always used ginger for tummy problems. Even the non drowsy motion sickness meds make me sleepy (power of suggestion?) but ginger is great, especially if you're prone to side effects from medicine like I am.

As a long time motion sickness sufferer who just so happens to love theme park rides & the Diseny cruise line....I've learned to take Bonine at least 1 hr before any rides. I also have a bracelet which puts a small pressure on key parts of the wrist. I keep ginger in my purse or pack, handy for emergencies. I buy crystallized ginger from Safeway, it comes in a small pack. I've tried other ginger but theirs seems freshest & not as sweet. In a pinch I've been found sucking on the sourest candy I can find. This is all knowing that I cannot ride any visual sim rides at all :eek: or anything which goes in a repetative circle:scared:

Hope you have a great trippirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter