***Riding out the hurricane at a Disney resort? Post your experiences here!***

The Universal board just doesn't get the traffic that the Disney boards do. However, the regulars on the Universal board are great, dedicated, and as friendly as can be. Not saying people here aren't.
I blame it on a lot less planning needed. Plus I bet that people are reading this thread no matter where they're staying. It's a good thread.

I probably shouldn't bother, but hey, I got some time on my hands!
I'm not a big animal fan. I grew up on a farm and did my time. I respect them, but other than that, I'm not throwing birthday parties for pets or anything.
I have a collie. If I left her in a hotel room she would drive the whole wing of this hotel nuts with her barking. If I put her on a collar and let her be with her people, she's fine.
Bark collars are great if u have one, but if you're dealing with leaving your home in the wake of a hurricane, trying to find water and gas, there might not be time to stop off at pet land to get your dog fitted.

I've seen dozens of dogs here in the past 2 days and they've all been very well behaved.

I still wonder about the bathroom issue when it comes to the dogs though. Where do they go?

We are at BCV and for the most part everyone has been great and things are definitely smooth. However, we are traveling with our special needs grandson and haven't felt that "magic" others are feeling with the activities. For example, we took him downstairs to play and there were 3 cast members in the room and only 2 other kids. Our guy went to play hungry hippos with the 1 cm and another child, while the other cm was playing jenga with another child. As soon as the other child stopped playing hungry hippo, the cm left to sit in a chair. Ok, no big deal. I'll play with my guy. Then the 2 cm's begin playing jenga together with the other 2 kids until those kids leave. So far, no big deal. However, those 2 kids leave with their dad and this is what happens - 1 leaves the room, 1 remains in his chair, and the other goes off in a corner on her phone. I found this pretty rude so we ended up taking him to the main lobby. Is it really so difficult to treat a special needs child the same as other children? Sure he's different in some neurological ways, but he's still a kid who loves the attention of a Disney cm, especially playing games.

Anyway, not going to let it define the trip. The rest of the trip and this hurricane experience has been positive. Just need to work on that special needs training, Disney. I plan to write a letter and offer some suggestions.
This is a shame, particularly because so many CMs are so great with special needs kids. All I can think is that perhaps these were CP CM's who didn't know how to react? Especially a shame because you were there, and they could have followed your lead as to how to connect with him. Glad it won't define your trip! Hope the BC lobby was better for you all, that you are safe, and that you write that letter with some constructive suggestions!

Picture of box lunch 11 dollars at boardwalk. After stuffing my face at lunch I didn't feel like stuffing it again at supper. Saids it's too large to post here will try again in a post by itself of the box lunch.

Still saying too large. Comes with sandwich, Pototo chips, banana, water, yogurt, pretzels with hummus and cookies. Only eating three things now. Not that hungry since stuffing my face at lunch.

Last edited:

Make sure you all have a way to get weather updates. There is a lot of rotation in storm bands entering that area. Multiple tornado warnings historically with this storm as it has moved. Currently one north of Lake Buena Vista.

Just as you were posting one of the weather apps on my phone went off with that warning. My app is set for bay lake as well as for Lake Buena Vista. I use the app when i'm down at WDW then uninstall it once home.
I reinstalled it yesterday to track Irma.

We are at BCV and for the most part everyone has been great and things are definitely smooth. However, we are traveling with our special needs grandson and haven't felt that "magic" others are feeling with the activities. For example, we took him downstairs to play and there were 3 cast members in the room and only 2 other kids. Our guy went to play hungry hippos with the 1 cm and another child, while the other cm was playing jenga with another child. As soon as the other child stopped playing hungry hippo, the cm left to sit in a chair. Ok, no big deal. I'll play with my guy. Then the 2 cm's begin playing jenga together with the other 2 kids until those kids leave. So far, no big deal. However, those 2 kids leave with their dad and this is what happens - 1 leaves the room, 1 remains in his chair, and the other goes off in a corner on her phone. I found this pretty rude so we ended up taking him to the main lobby. Is it really so difficult to treat a special needs child the same as other children? Sure he's different in some neurological ways, but he's still a kid who loves the attention of a Disney cm, especially playing games.

Anyway, not going to let it define the trip. The rest of the trip and this hurricane experience has been positive. Just need to work on that special needs training, Disney. I plan to write a letter and offer some suggestions.

Granted, there are no extreme circumstances going on in the Florida area this weekend, but if there was, I wonder if the CMs would maybe be a little stressed and perhaps a little OFF.

Same here we would have arrived yesterday. I waited till Friday to postpone but finally gave in when i saw the reports of gas stations running out. I didnt want to run out of gas trying to get there. Losing Sunday and Monday would have made it hard to get all our plans in with just Tues Wed and Thurs left to go to the parks (assuming everything opens back up Tuesday).
Those that are there stay safe and enjoy the light crowds the rest of the week!

Sounds like you all made the best decisions in your situations....it would have been a horrible experience to run out of gas on your way and a surreal experience to be traveling in the direction from which everyone else is trying to escape.

I still wonder about the bathroom issue when it comes to the dogs though. Where do they go?
As of right now it is still perfectly fine to take a dog outside to potty in Orlando. And will be for several more hours.

Any dogs I have had can hold it for a minimum of 8-10 hours which generally covers the hurricane winds. When I went thru a hurricane with a cocker spaniel - I took him out (less than 8 hours) during heavy rain and winds - he looked at me like I was nuts and came back in. He later was willing to go out even in major rain.

The rain and winds may last for hours - but the hurricane force dangerous winds generally do not.

Didn't someone post a letter earlier from Disney stating not to leave your pets alone in the room. But if you are traveling solo and need to get food what are you supposed to do?

Hey I'm not the biggest fan of pets and I'm allergic. I respect them and never want to see them hurt but I don't like touching them or having them climb on me. But even with that, in these circumstances, I wouldn't be bugged by pets being in a lot of places. Most dogs can't be couped up for days in a small hotel room.

As long as they aren't constantly barking or trying to jump on me I'm fine.

Anyone who's staying in their room right now, or from around here, do you have a preferred news station to watch for updates? I want to keep one on when I'm not watching Disney movies, but I don't know enough to know if any of them are better than others.

Poly update - 7:05 - lilo and stitch have left. DJ still playing songs - mostly Elvis. Shops still open as is Capt Cooks. Jenga and coloring still going on for kids. Bar open upstairs. Never have we seen such friendly and helpful cast members. Truly amazing experience here!

...Plus I bet that people are reading this thread no matter where they're staying. It's a good thread.
It IS a good thread! I'm staying in CA & have added it to my watched threads list. Informative + Interesting + Civil + I'm not questioning whether every photo I see is a fake! (I know zero about hurricanes or vacation managing around anything besides monster snowstorms so I plan to stay tuned in here to keep learning about how WDW is handling it & will also post anything potentially helpful I see elsewhere for y'all.) Prayers and best wishes for all riding it out.

Granted, there are no extreme circumstances going on in the Florida area this weekend, but if there was, I wonder if the CMs would maybe be a little stressed and perhaps a little OFF.
You are right, Barnabus. They may be stressed and off. However, they weren't too off to pay attention to the other children.

I seriously should not have read this thread. We were due at the Poly on Friday (leaving next Saturday) and I cancelled everything Friday morning. I'm so upset I could cry.
Don't be upset people are making the best of a bad situation. A hurricane is a dangerous event and you made the same decision a lot of people would and did make. I'm so glad Disney is treating the guests well, many of these people may leave to find a damaged home. But this is not free and it's not really a vacation being stuck in a hotel even if you do get to see a character or two. Think of how much fun you will have planning your next trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter