***Riding out the hurricane at a Disney resort? Post your experiences here!***

We are at BCV and for the most part everyone has been great and things are definitely smooth. However, we are traveling with our special needs grandson and haven't felt that "magic" others are feeling with the activities. For example, we took him downstairs to play and there were 3 cast members in the room and only 2 other kids. Our guy went to play hungry hippos with the 1 cm and another child, while the other cm was playing jenga with another child. As soon as the other child stopped playing hungry hippo, the cm left to sit in a chair. Ok, no big deal. I'll play with my guy. Then the 2 cm's begin playing jenga together with the other 2 kids until those kids leave. So far, no big deal. However, those 2 kids leave with their dad and this is what happens - 1 leaves the room, 1 remains in his chair, and the other goes off in a corner on her phone. I found this pretty rude so we ended up taking him to the main lobby. Is it really so difficult to treat a special needs child the same as other children? Sure he's different in some neurological ways, but he's still a kid who loves the attention of a Disney cm, especially playing games.

Anyway, not going to let it define the trip. The rest of the trip and this hurricane experience has been positive. Just need to work on that special needs training, Disney. I plan to write a letter and offer some suggestions.

I am sorry to hear that the three cast members did not engage with your grandson. I am glad that you will not let this episode impact your vacation. I think it is important for you to share your experience with Disney. Disney can then use your experience to help train their CMs in how it is important for them to interact with all guests, and like you stated Disney should provide CMs with special needs training or have a refresher course for their employees in that matter if they already have special needs training.

I've been in the room almost all day, trying to fight off a cold so I didn't want to get any wetter than needed. I've sold two resorts (ASMo and ASMu) out of the cold/flu medicine, so apologies to anyone else who needed it! But people are still walking by the room yelling loudly to each other and leaning over railings. I'm on the third floor, when I had to go out earlier I wanted to stay as far from them as possible. Judging by the sound of it the rain has gone at least somewhat horizontal. And WFTV is now reporting it will be coming a lot closer to Orlando than originally expected.

I'm in the room alone, so I've already packed up everything I don't currently need and put it in the sink area. Planning to stay up until the worst of it is done, but if it comes down to it I have a pillow and spare blankets in the bathroom. Thankfully I'm short so sleeping in the tub wouldn't be too uncomfortable, lol!

Here's hoping everyone gets through it safe and sane!

Hi Fuzzeh, so sorry you are not feeling great and riding out the storm solo! Know we are all sending good thoughts your way...stay safe

Watching the weather channel closely as we have family in central Florida. The bands are headed into that area now so please stay safe everyone. Thanks for all of the updates and sharing the Disney magic even when circumstances are not the best. It helps pass the time during a time of concern. Hoping and praying for everyone's safety!

So right around 7:00 I was down at the All Star Sports lobby and there were about 10-12 cast members running a dance party and doing line damces with a bunch of guests.

I was down there because I talked to SW and they told me that my flight out on Tuesday isn't cancelled....yet, but looked iffy, so I went ahead and rescheduled it for Friday. Went down to the lobby and added 3 extra nights to my reservation for a very favorable discounted rate. In about 5 minutes my room reservation was changed and my new ME was arranged.

I've been very impressed with all the CM I've dealt with today. I've written down all of their names and will be letting Disney know what a great job they did.

I am sorry to hear that the three cast members did not engage with your grandson. I am glad that you will not let this episode impact your vacation. I think it is important for you to share your experience with Disney. Disney can then use your experience to help train their CMs in how it is important for them to interact with all guests, and like you stated Disney should provide CMs with special needs training or have a refresher course for their employees in that matter if they already have special needs training.
I wonder if these cast members during the hurricane are the same cast members who would usually be on this duty. I'm sorry for what happened to your grandson, and think that it's a good idea to give Disney some feed back to think about.

Is the power holding up down there?

(I've asked this in a few threads now, but the massive power outage over SoFla has admittedly caught me off guard and it's something I'd failed to account for when trying to figure out if I'll be able to make a planned trip to Orlando on Thursday. I don't know if Orlando's grid is magically more resilient than the rest of FL.)

Stay safe.

We're at the Boardwalk, it's getting very windy here now with lots of rain. There has been all sorts of entertainment on here today, with different characters and the arcade games all free. There is either buffet meals or box meals, we're in a one bedroom so well stocked with food & water. Just hoping it passes quickly without too much damage.
Be safe

That's why they sell those no-barking collars - they work great. Dogs that bark because they are alone in a strange setting are not to be trusted around other dogs and people, in a strange setting, wouldn't you think? Having had a few incidents with poorly trained dogs, I'm surprised WDW is allowing them in so many common places. One bite, and there's a lawsuit in the making.

Luckily, WDW has a deep enough pocket and workforce to absorb the costs of damage done by pets in the hotel rooms. Hopefully they will do some extra cleanings and guests are being responsible about cleaning up after their dogs. Any cats at the resorts, or other pets?

Yes, but service dogs are (supposed to be) working dogs, and well trained to do specific tasks for the disabled person. They are not pets - and are (supposedly) better trained and the owners are (supposed to be) responsible for keeping the dog in line. For example, WDW has specific areas for service dogs to relieve themselves, and service dogs should be trained to not got the bathroom unless it is an appropriate location and time.

We arrived at WDW the day after Charley hit - hoping the guests at WDW have the same experience we did - incredible service, wonderful CMs, etc. Stay safe tonight and tomorrow!
Dogs that bark in hotel rooms are not necessarily poorly trained, but may
be protective of their space as I know my dog would be. I think most dog parents know their dog's behavior well enough to know when a dog should be around people..

I believe they opened Disney Springs early last year so maybe that one. My god will it be packed though.

They opened a few restaurants at Disney Springs last year. The waits were crazy long. My sister had driven down so we went with them off property. It took quite a while to find any open restaurant in Orlando, though.

I wonder if these cast members during the hurricane are the same cast members who would usually be on this duty. I'm sorry for what happened to your grandson, and think that it's a good idea to give Disney some feed back to think about.
I think they are the lifeguards filling in - At least, that's what my husband thinks. He said one of the guys is familiar from the pool area.

I expected a backlash after posting anything negative, but I'm very appreciative of the support. I posted right after the incident and was very emotional. Now, I'm much more "calm" about the situation and our grandson is really handling things well (after 7 trips up and down the stairwells to tire him out).

They opened a few restaurants at Disney Springs last year. The waits were crazy long. My sister had driven down so we went with them off property. It took quite a while to find any open restaurant in Orlando, though.

Yeah part of me would want to go but it will just be insanely crowded.

Was just talking to some cast members in the gift shop. They were sitting on sandbags by the door keeping them in place, and asked me to join them. Took a few pictures of all of us protecting* Animal Kingdom Lodge!

God I love this place and these people!

Last edited:
Make sure you all have a way to get weather updates. There is a lot of rotation in storm bands entering that area. Multiple tornado warnings historically with this storm as it has moved. Currently one north of Lake Buena Vista.

https://twitter.com/NWStornado/status/907010723297021953/photo/1
I am from Houston and just went through Harvey. The FEMA app on my phone was invaluable for the tornado and flood warnings. Stay safe everyone! We are thinking of you and praying for your safety.

I seriously should not have read this thread. We were due at the Poly on Friday (leaving next Saturday) and I cancelled everything Friday morning. I'm so upset I could cry.

Don't feel bad-- you would still be missing 2 full park days of your trip. Having done this last year during Matthew, I can tell you that what you are seeing is people making the best of a bad situation. I would much rather have gone when I did not get my BOG dinner cancelled and a MNSSHP cancelled, and was not stuck inside the resort. It is not remotely as fun as being in the parks. Yes, it is different and entertaining at times, and interesting to see what all is going on, but while DD was having fun, DH and I about went stir crazy at times. You can only browse through the shop so many times. I hope you got to rebook and come another time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter